Priorities - An article for TFsource

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Maz, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    This is an article about priorities, but not just the kind of priorities that we usually discuss in this column. This is not purely a piece about choosing between Diaclones and Transformers, or between Mexican variants and minibots, between current releases and vintage, this is also about choosing between toys and a car or a house. It also will not be relevant to most collectors, but maybe a select few in a similar position to myself.

Priorities | TF Source News <- CLICK TO READ

[​IMG]

All the best
    Maz

2. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Good read. I am in a similar boat, but a less expensive one. Last year I spent close to 10K on TFers. This year I am at 1K, but I have 1K more to go. My wife lost her job and got a new one that pays half the money, but we do have a lot saved.

What I have decided to do is just set a budget and enjoy what I enjoy. $200 a month is about $2500 a year, which I think is fair for me. So I won't buy something for a couple of month and spend $400 at a pop. No biggie.

As for your feeling. I will say this. Why sell? You're looking at it to improve your situation. Well, as long as your not spending thousands that you don't currently have, your not spending on figures is already improving your situation.

Here is what I know. Life slows down once the child gets older and budgets come down as well. Money comes and goes, and you have no clue what you spent it on. There are very few things in life that you actually recognize your money went. I would say that is:
    - House
    - Car (kinda, but not really)
    - A collection

I would rate my house and collection together on this. I mean, it's like buying a Rolex. Everyday you look at your Rolex, you think, hey I love this watch, and I know where this money went. With a $50 watch, you don't give it a second thought.

So, I am pretty much saying. Hold onto the stuff, especially the stuff you love. Not sure what your collection is worth, but even $10,000 in the grand scheme of things is absolutely nothing. $100,000 can make life easier, if that's the value, but yet again, there are things you can spend $100,000 on and still not have all the joy out of. So why would you ever sell the stuff you love, for something that you will never see. Except the house of course. But if you think your spending a lot on TFers, wait till you buy a house. Your TF collection will be mild spending when your boiler breaks, or when you need a new roof or what ever else your wife decides you need. (forget a new kitchen)

3. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i've prioritized them into sales before, regretted it a couple years later, then instead of having a collection, i had nothing to show for it, sure it improved the lifestyle a little bit for a time, but in the grand scheme of things, i should have kept it

4. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Yup, that is what it is. You eat at a nicer restaurant or something like that. 2 years later, you forget that meal.

Having said that, I would sell my collection to travel. I feel like traveling sticks with you for life. I still fondly remember my 2 week trip to Italy.

5. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    i always enjoy your articles. thanks

6. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    Great article as usual Maz.

Already sent it off for a few people to read!

7. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    I was touched by the article, Maz. It made me think about my priorities in life.

8. Wolfdawg

Wolfdawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Really makes me think about my priorities as well. My wife and I are saving to move into a new house and start a family. I can't see myself spending and amassing the way I've been doing since I started working full time. I think it's important, at a certain point, to REALLY start to focus collection. Often times, I find myself buying a certain figure just to be able to say "Hey, I have "x" amount of figures from this line!". After looking through my collection, there are hundreds of figures I don't even like that much.

9. archieboy

archieboy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nice read man. Most of us here can relate, albeit to varying degrees.

10. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    My entire collecting budget is really around $400 a year and that may fall if unforseen occurences happen. That's why I don't spend a lot on individual figures, I like to spread my limited collecting cash around as much as possible. I only really can afford to buy what I really like and I have to be flexible with that too. If I bought both the New MP Optimus and Thundercracker that budget would be half blown already. Since ML figures are $16 a piece I really have to be selective with them too.

11. thielmj

thielmj Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    great article, there area few people i know that should read this

12. AnAutobot1985

AnAutobot1985 Well-Known Member

Good article. I enjoyed reading it. Keep most of what you love. As some people say it's something you have to show for money you spent and its what you like so it is okay it's a part of who you are.

13. 3.8TransAM

3.8TransAM 1989 Turbo Trans AM

Quiet Maz.

I always troll the "I need my car fixed" or "I got a ticket" or equally amusing threads looking for good deals and now u had to go put it out in the open.........

14. Automorpher

Automorpher Autobot Slut!

News Credits:
    Yeah Maz, just like what I've always shared on the threads here on TFW2005, that Life isn't just about having every single TFs toy in your collection.

I used to really spend & spend on vintage/Japanese/LD stuffs a few years back & it wasn't till Junior was born & he made me see the light.

There are always bills to pay, loans to service, kids to raise & etc. (Especially true when you've a marriage to maintain & an even greater responsibilty to put food onto the table.)

I wouldn't really bomb big $$$ on plastics cracks as before. (Well, if its something that I REALLY REALLY want then I'll see how well we're doing financially before I make the jump)

Your family are the the ones that make you a better man, not your collection. :) 

15. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I thoroughly enjoyed this one, and I think it has a lot to say.

16. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    Great article as always, Maz. Really made me think. I have a large collection, and I would probably trim down to a few hundred if I ever had a kid. But the lil lady and I do not want children, so I don't really have that particular incentive on the horizon. However, I went through a few years of extensive Transformers spending, and sometimes I feel like I just want to cash out while I'm still on top. I don't know if it's the lack of space to properly display everything, or the fact that I have practically nothing left to buy that helps bring on the impulse to sell, but it comes up every once in a while. I actually just came out of one of these questioning fazes, and again, I decided not to sell. I think what keeps me from it is that I'm fortunate enough to have a good income and do not have the financial need for it at this point in my life.

Again, great read, Maz :) 

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  17. Maz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Thank you for all the thoughtful feedback, I don't usually expect toy articles to make people think deeply or for them to relate to it too much, so to see that it has had some effect along those lines is massively positive for me.

I imagine everyone's situation is complicated and it's never straightforward enough to condense into 1200 or so words, and the addition of eye-candy - while keeping some interested until the end - could distract from the message I was trying to convey.

All the best
    Maz

18. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    From experience: When I started collecting again, I was giving up another hobby because I couldn't enjoy it with my fiancee-ne-wife. So when she asked me about taking up another hobby because I was grumpy and irritable, I had to think about what I wanted to do. Collecting back into Transformers seemed appropriate, and at the time, more affordable than taking back up comic collecting (little did I know).
    My collection ballooned from 24 figures to over 200 pieces in that three year time span. It got to the point where my wife wondered where the end of the rabbit hole was. Granted, I wasn't spending exorbitantly (less than $50 a month), but there were times when the spending would exceed what I would normally have budgeted for just myself. There was another now who I shared everything, income, and expenses. So we agreed that just like our finances were linked, we'd create budgets, she'd have hers, and I would have mine for expendable income. And it's not a large amount per month.
    Using that method of keeping to a set monthly budget, we still managed to purchase a house, keep a car payment, pay student loans and have our first child. Daycare is expensive as crap. But we're budgeting. And my collection expanded to over 450 pieces.
    Now, keep in mind, I've had to sacrifice a lot of things that I think are cool. I don't have the ability to jump on sales when they happen, and things like Warbot Defender, third party stuff, Takara Masterpieces, they don't happen for me. And I don't have the option to go all completest (no need to get every Bumblebee made (there's a shame), no side lines like Kreos). I pick what I like, and what I value. Not all of it has been utterly fantastic, but there's way more figures that I love in my collection, than ones I scratch my head over owning.
    Would I sell my collection? Sure. Would I sell it all? No. I'd keep the original stuff I started with, Brewsters Millions style, plus the pieces I received from my TFW friends. But I totally, utterly, completely agree and understand your article Maz. I think there's are collectors who regardless of what they're collecting lose sight on what is important.

19. Maz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Thank you to everyone who has written about their own experience and circumstance, knowing what went through my mind when considering publicly writing that stuff, I appreciate it takes some doing and accepting the fact that people may comment without fully understanding and the eye-rolling that will inevitably come with it.

I think the core of what inspired me to write the article was not a financial difficulty or feeling that I was losing sight of a big picture, it was a case of reaching a point where the collection was going to be static for a while...but not actually being able to enjoy that fact, more the feeling that I should use it as an asset to augment our situation, bring our goals closer and use the toys as currency. My resistance to that was what inspired me to write about it.

Haven't sold anything painful yet :) 

All the best
    Maz