Prince of Persia

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Atomsplitter, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

Am I the only person here who picked it up? I was turned off by the style at first, but after getting the game it really works well. I'm still not a huge fan of cel-shading, but it's nice not having a gloom-and-doom PoP game.

The game is kinda on the easy side (especially since you can't die-ever) but it's more about the insane platforming and incredible relationship between the character and the Princess than it is difficulty and fighting. There's some quite funny and witty chatter between the main characters too, although the story is pretty predictable.

2. Sixshot

Sixshot Jeff Goldbluman Group

News Credits:
    My bro recommended it. So many good games out there right now, wish I wasn't a graduate student.

3. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

bought it today on ps3. loving it, the game is beautiful and fluid, and the fighting is great. only cleared the first 2 areas so far, but for me it is one of the best games i've played in recent memory, maybe this year...

the dialogue between the two characters is pretty good, and the voice actor is the same guy who plays Nathan Drake, it keeps throwing me off :lol 

4. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    How does it compare to other games in the series?

5. smangerbot

i played the one with light/dark prince on psp, hated it so returned it after a few hours. so can't really comment, other than its way better than that one :lol 

6. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:

From what I understand, it is not part of the series, rather it is a whole new start, so it really cant be compared to the sands of time series. Which was very good. My wife is going to be this for herself but Im sure Ill be playing it.

7. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    next on my list, and yeah I saw you playing it Smang. Was going to send you a message about it, but now I don't have to

8. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I watched a video review of it and almost died. I LOVED sands of time, and am a huge fan of the tomb raider games as well, so this type of game is right up my alley. combined with the "travel around with a partner" aspect that ico had, and I am SO getting this game.

9. smangerbot

yeah the partner aspect works really well and never seems to get in the way, they have loads of little interactions and its all done brilliantly imo.

it actually reminds me a lot of assassins creed in a lot of ways (for obvious reasons).

10. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    i gave it a rent last night

fun game. love the style. beautiful game

11. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

My brother is law is getting it for me this Christmas. Oh joy! :D 

12. CookSux

CookSux Infectious Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Still waiting til I beat the 2nd and 3rd of the last gen series.

13. smangerbot

cleared one of the 'levels' last night. i love this game. the script is well written, the style reminds me of uncharted, not just coz its Drake's voice though (not just the same voice actor, it IS Drake). its a nice touch having the character development kind of up to the player (by pressing L1 you talk to Elika and get deeper into the story) and it makes you feel much more in control and part of it.

really impressed with this game so far, like, really.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  14. smangerbot

i've healed about half the lands now, everyone should buy this game. go do it now!

15. smangerbot

finished it the other day, not sure what to make of the ending... but i loved the game from beginning to end. gonna hunt down the rest of the light seeds now, only 70 to go :S

16. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Loved every aspect of the game ... until the end, where it pulled a Shadow of the Colossus move - but instead of a game-long cathartic build-up-to-tragedy, it was more of a "yank the rug out from under everything you've done" sort of deal. Did not enjoy.

They'd better make a sequel to fix this mess. <shaking fist>

17. smangerbot

i saw it coming to be honest, pretty much from the start, but i wasn't expecting the twist.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  18. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Yeah. I figured it would do something like make her sacrifice herself at the end, especially once it was revealed that she was essentially the walking dead, but the fact that the game unabashedly killed her and then made you undo everything you'd worked for didn't make me feel particularly great about my time spent. Ah well. C'est la vie.

One of the things I thought was really great about the Sands of Time was that the Prince finally made a selfless sacrifice of the ultimate weapon to undo everything, even his own relationship with Farah, to save everyone. In this case it was like the opposite; he selflessly helped Eleka re-seal Ahriman throughout the game only to be selfish at the end and doom the world. The new PoP even shoves this mistake into your face with the end quotes: "What is one grain of sand in the desert?" AKA "What is the life of one person sacrificed to save millions?" It's certainly poignant, but I still don't feel happy about it :p . I like happy endings in my fairy tales, at least when they're with characters I enjoy.

Still, I'm sure the prince will be back. I like this prince. I like Eleka. I desire future adventures. Hell, I wont even mind if they go a bit of a WW/TT route and introduce a darker side to the prince, especially seeing as having made the same mistake as Eleka's father he's liable to end up corrupted.

19. Magelite

Magelite I make stupid look good

Well just having finished it, I can say good, but improvement is needed.

-The combat is smooth but get's a bit repetitive, especially against an amazing 5 types of enemy. More enemy types, and the return of multiple enemies in a single fight to make each fight more interesting should spruce things up a bit. Also, those 'do this move to make enemy not invincible' forms really seem to dumb down the fights.

-More interactive travel abilities are needed. The fly and wall-run abilities have actual game-play attached to them, whilst the blue and red abilities might as well just teleport you around. More interactive replacements would be nice.

-I'd like to see more combat and acrobatic powers for Elika, as well as some kind of recharge mechanic like in the original PoP trilogy, it would add a lot more depth to the gameplay.

20. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:

So I'll run around a board not knowing what my objective is, killing random people for no apparent reason, and pick pocketing equipment to kill the random people, but from a distance? If that's the jist of this game, like Assassin's Creed, I'm not interested.

A beautifully rendered game is all AC was, IMHO. I got bored with it and got rid of it after playing for a few hours. Boring storyline and boring play.