Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (Film)

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Witwicky Camaro, Jun 14, 2008.

1. Witwicky Camaro

Witwicky Camaro Sabbatical Is Required

News Credits:
    Development
    The film is being produced by Jerry Bruckheimer and directed by Mike Newell (of the Goblet of Fire fame). An early draft of the script was written by Jordan Mechner, the creator of the Prince of Persia franchise. According to the film-makers, the film will not be a "beat-for-beat" adaptation, but will combine some "cool" elements from the game to create a "totally new experience" for the viewers. There is currently some speculation that, like the three games (of The Sands of Time trilogy), the film will feature parkour scenes. An early script was reportedly reviewed by two individual sites, but the authenticity of this script has not been confirmed.

Premise
    Dastan (Jake Gyllenhaal) is a 6th century prince of Persia who joins forces with a princess called Tamina (Gemma Arterton). Together they try to prevent the Sands of Time, an ancient force of magic that gives its possessor the ability to reverse time, from falling into the hands of an evil vizier, Nizam (Sir Ben Kingsley), who plans to use its powers to take over the world.

:yuck 

My sister and I have been following the barely-there-news about this film adaption of one the best games of 2003. We were never too thrilled about it (or at least, I wasn't) and I've gotta say... I'm disappointed in who they decided to choose to play The Prince (who apparently has a name). She almost died of fangirl shock and I just rolled my eyes. The premise doesn't sound promising (they got rid of Farah and replaced her with some OC for cripes sake), and the fact that Ben Kingsley is in it isn't helping matters either. I smell major Disney B-Movie.

2. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

WTF is this? Kingsley is legend, even if he does make crap for money.

3. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I agree, as Yahtzee said, at some point we must all pay the piper and eat shit waffles.

Ben Kinglsey sounds about the only reputable thing on the movie so far (wishing no offence to Jake, he was great in Bubble Boy and Donnie Darko) but perhaps someone like Siddig El-Fadil (Dr. Bashir from DS9) or Oded Fehr (Ardeth Bay from The Mummy/Returns) would have been a more appropriate choice.

4. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

they should have it based off the first game, where he goes through the dungeon, and gets killed by spike traps over and over again, lol instead lol! oh and the movie has to be only an hour long lol

5. hellrasinbrasin

hellrasinbrasin Well-Known Member

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

[​IMG]

Cast

Jake Gyllenhaal ......................... Prince Dastan
    Gemma Arterton ....................... Tamina
    Ben Kingsley ............................ Nizam
    Alfred Molina .......................... Sheik Amar

-----------------

Crew

Director ........................ Mike Newell
    Writers ..................... Carlo Bernard, Jordan Mechner
    Composer .............. Harry Gregson-Williams

6. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    and cameo appearance by Sebastian the lobster

7. hellrasinbrasin

Hey anything can happen when you're Under the Sands of Time hah aha

8. Witwicky Camaro

News Credits:
  9. hellrasinbrasin

Cough ... I looked I saw but you know how some have memory lapses and forget such things but lets not dwell on re-used sand

10. Witwicky Camaro

News Credits:
    *BUMP*
    Other POP!Movie Threads:
    First Prince of Persia footage! - TFW2005 - The 2005 Boards
    Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time - TFW2005 - The 2005 Boards

Prince of Persia (The Sands of Time) is an upcoming 2010 film written by Jordan Mechner, Boaz Yakin, Doug Miro, and Carlo Bernard, directed by Mike Newell, and produced by Jerry Bruckheimer. The film is based on the 2003 video game of the same name, developed and released by Ubisoft Montreal. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time will be theatrically released on May 28, 2010. The film stars Jake Gyllenhaal as Prince Dastan, Gemma Arterton as Tamina, Gísli Örn Garðarsson as The Vizier, Sir Ben Kingsley as Nizam, and Alfred Molina as Sheik Amar.

Premise
    Dastan (Jake Gyllenhaal) is a street urchin in 6th century Persia. After showing valor in battle, he is adopted by the king as his heir, so the king's two sons will not fight over the throne. He teams up with Princess Tamina (Gemma Arterton) to rescue the Sands of Time, a gift from the gods that controls time, from the hands of the villainous nobleman, Nizam (Sir Ben Kingsley).

Production
    In March 2004, the production company Jerry Bruckheimer Films sought to acquire feature film rights to the 2003 video game Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time with the film to be distributed by Walt Disney Pictures. Under John August as executive producer, the series' creator Jordan Mechner was hired to write the script. Producer Jerry Bruckheimer's Pirates of the Caribbean film trilogy served as a touchstone in how a theme park ride was converted into a film franchise. According to Mechner, "Rather than do a straight beat-for-beat adaptation of the new videogame, we're taking some cool elements from the game and using them to craft a new story." Mechner previously considered producing an animated film based on the games, but could not resist Disney and Bruckheimer's offer. In February 2006, Disney hired screenwriter Jeffrey Nachmanoff to write a new script for Prince of Persia.

Early in 2007, Disney announced Prince of Persia as one of its tentpole films and by June had scheduled a release date for July 10, 2009 before having a final script or any actors attached. By November 2007, Disney entered negotiations with Mike Newell to direct the film based on a script by Mechner and Nachmanoff, though the studio held off production until the 2007-2008 Writers Guild of America strike was resolved. Newell was fond of Bruckheimer's films, and loved the "exciting [and] immensely romantic" script, which reminded him of Lost Horizon. His assistant played the video games and gave the director key details. Mechner, in writing the script, re-conceived the storyline to shift the perspective from the interactive one experienced by video gamers to the non-interactive experience by film audiences. The screenwriter left out elements of the Prince of Persia video games Warrior Within and The Two Thrones and did not anticipate including these elements in the film's possible sequels.

When filming began, the film's release date was postponed to May 28, 2010 with the studio seeking enough time for the post-production process in designing the film's special effects. The profit margin on the Pirates of the Caribbean films was compromised by overspending as special effects teams rushed to complete the films for their release dates. Variety also ascribed the postponement to avoiding the potential 2008 Screen Actors Guild strike so the studio could ensure that the film leads to a "mega-franchise" similar to its successful Pirates of the Caribbean series. Other reasons for the release date change were that the film was originally scheduled a week before Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, and Disney needed more time to co-ordinate its marketing campaign.

Casting
    On May 20, 2008 it was announced that Jake Gyllenhaal is to portray Dastan, the protagonist of the film. Producer Jerry Bruckheimer explained his choice, "He's a wonderful actor. He's someone I've been watching for a long time and somebody I've always wanted to work with." Gyllenhaal claims he "over-prepared" for the role, gaining five or six pounds of muscle. The actor says, "...I never knew how much they were going to ask me to do, so I just made sure I'd be hopefully able to do anything." Gemma Arterton was announced to play the role of protagonist Tamina, and Sir Ben Kingsley is to portray the film's antagonist, Nizam.

Filming
    In March 2008, Mike Newell selected Morocco as a shooting location for Prince of Persia and also planned to film in Pinewood Studios. Production was scheduled to begin in mid-June 2008. By May 2008, actors Jake Gyllenhaal and Gemma Arterton were cast into the lead roles. With a new script by Jordan Mechner, Doug Miro, Carlo Bernard, and Boaz Yakin, filming began in July 2008 in Morocco as well as London. Eight weeks were spent in Morocco before the first unit moved to Pinewood.

Main Cast
    Jake Gyllenhaal as Prince Dastan, a sixth-century Persian prince. The character is nameless in the games; Jordan Mechner said he chose the name because it is the Persian word for "trickster". Gyllenhaal estimated he gained five pounds of muscle for the role.
    Gemma Arterton as Tamina, a feisty and exotic princess. Arterton practiced horse riding in Madrid and did further training in London.
    Sir Ben Kingsley as Nizam, King Shahrman's brother who plans to kill the ruler and blame the murder on Prince Dastan.
    Alfred Molina as Sheik Amar, a mentor to Prince Dastan.
    Toby Kebbell as Dastan's brother, head of the Persian army.

Marketing
    The Prince of Persia poster made its debut as a background prop in a 2009 Bruckheimer production, Confessions of a Shopaholic, similar to how Akiva Goldsman incorporated a poster for his undeveloped Batman vs. Superman script for a joke in I Am Legend. The week of Confessions of a Shopaholic's release, Disney signed a merchandising deal with Lego for the film.

11. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Any word on when we'll see the first trailer?

12. Witwicky Camaro

News Credits:
    Nope, not that I know of.

13. hellrasinbrasin

Keep an Eye for a teaser running with either GI JOE: Rise of the Cobra, GAMER, or Halloween II

14. Witwicky Camaro

News Credits:
    Good to know.