Customs: Priming color question

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Jaekwong, Apr 12, 2008.

1. Jaekwong

Jaekwong Well-Known Member

quick questions

1)say i wanted to do a piece. and it had robotic parts and colored parts for the car. like most transformers lol.

anyways so i know best for metal looking robotic parts i should prime black (ill be using krylon fusion as primer) and then go over grey and silver etc etc to get the robotic look.
    but what if i wanted the car to be bright colors like red, yellows, blues. wouldnt it be better to prime that white?

so then the problem is, should i be priming two different colors? that becomes EXTREMLY difficult as i would need to be taping of DETAILS in order to cover the color parts from getting primed black and vice versa.

any insights on this?

2) as well, do i need to prime even if im drybrushing enamels? some parts are black already, but i heard enamels dont dry well if not primed correctly. any insights?

thanks so much guys.
    Jaekwong

2. SmokescreenSWE

SmokescreenSWE Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The easiest way is to take the figure apart completely and then prime with different colors as needed.

3. Jaekwong

Jaekwong Well-Known Member

but what if some parts will have both robotic and bright colors?

4. dak

dak <b><font color=blue>I am DAK! The customizer!</fon

News Credits:
    just prime it a single color, and for those area's that you need a white base just paint with a flat white and a brush.

5. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Always prime, especially with enamels. You really have only two options.
    1.like Smokescreen says, take it all apart and prime robotics and car parts separately.

2. Like Dak says prime it all one color white would probably be best and then hand paint all the robotics black.

I would go with option 2 if you are not savvy with taking them apart, plus yo will run the risk of messing up the finish trying to put all the screws and pins back in.

6. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    for me it totally depends on the "average color" of the final product. if it's a dark color, I prime black, if light color, grey or white.

Typically on TFs there's so many metal type parts, 80% of the time I am priming in flat or semi black.

It's not necessary to take apart the figure though, unless you have high contrast on the final product. For example; i am doing another Ultra Magnus. I am taking apart and off any parts that will be white, painting them separate with grey primer then white. The rest of him, primed in black.