Prime's Right-Hand/Lt.

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by ShiroPrime, Oct 25, 2010.

?

Prime's Right-hand/Lt.

1. Jazz

26 vote(s)
    56.5%
  2. Prowl

18 vote(s)
    39.1%
  3. Ultra Magnus

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. ShiroPrime

ShiroPrime blargh

Saw a similar thread for the 'Cons and decided to indulge my musings. I've never had the pleasure of reading the Marvel comics, so I'm going with what I've seen. In the first few episodes (and Bay's Movie) Jazz was Prime's man; however in season 4 it seems as though Magnus has taken this position (although didn't Prime leave Magnus behind to take care of Cybertron similar to what Megs did with Shocks?). And finally in some places, it would seem as though Prowl would be Prime's tactician/man. So, who would YOU say fills this position, in case I'm wrong in my facts or forgetting someone.

2. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Either Prowl or Jazz. Magnus I always considered as equal to Prime in rank, and a leader in his own right.

3. cuad

cuad VOK EMISSARY

News Credits:
    Psh Roller has more rank than Jazz or Prowl just for coming out of Prime's ass.

In MTMTE is was Jazz though.

4. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Jazz.

5. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    Ironhide, Jazz and Prowl. Ratchet is probably pretty high up in ranks as well.

6. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Jazz, Ironhide, and Prowl all filled the second-in-command role in different ways.

7. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    I always thoughtg it depended on the situation. So like either Jazz, Prowl or Ironhide.

8. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

Prowl is supposed to be Primes military adviser, while Jazz is Primes 'go to' guy. While Prowl might technically outrank Jazz on a military level, Jazz is still the bot Prime relies on in a pinch.

9. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

it depends on what season,what continuity,cartoon,comic,toy line.

prime never really had a competent nor powerful autobot who could replace him in seasons 1 & 2 of the cartoon series. if the situation needed it.

10. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    Technically Prowl should fill that role but Ironhide filled that role in the old toon.

11. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Magnus came into play durring season 3 not 4.

12. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Autobot Strategist

Prowl

13. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

This... Prowl is a strategist and an officer. Jazz is the guy who prefers to be in the field, and to work alone. Prowl can pull rank on him, but Jazz is more independent. They make a good duo for Prime, since they are both top flight Autobots, but are so different from each other. Prowl is driven by logic, rationality and planning, while Jazz is ruled by intuition and improvisation.

Ironhide really isn't especially high ranking at all... he's just Prime's buddy, and old enough that he still gets a degree of respect just based on experience. Interestingly Ironhide, Ratchet, Trailbreaker, and even Bumblebee all share the same numerical rank... which makes a certain amount of sense, since all of them are officers of a sort.

Officially, Wheeljack is actually 3rd in the chain of command (tied with Jazz!)... I guess because he's the head of the engineering corps. I suppose that would be like how after Captain Kirk, it's Spock (Prowl) and then Scotty (Wheeljack)... Jazz would be out somewhere on his own, not even on the ship. :) 

I never gave much thought to Magnus, since he was never shown as being around all that much (especially sharing time with the '84-85 cast). Numerically, he's beneath Prowl in rank, possibly because he's still a front-line officer, while Prowl is like, on the executive for the war council or something. However, this doesn't mean that Ultra Magnus can't be Prime's protege, and his chosen successor to take custody of the Matrix. That would probably count as a field promotion, right? Prowl and Jazz meanwhile, would probably pretty much stick to their role as advisors to the throne.

zmog

14. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    There's no definitive answer to this question.

It all depends on the sitiuation and what advice Prime would need. There no real autobot the really took any decisions unlike the Decepticons where Starscream would take command... and face the consequence every time.

15. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I've always felt it was Jazz by a considerable margin.

There were never that many strong Autobot character capable of leading in Prime's absence IMO, apart from maybe Prowl or Ironhide, but they were more competent officers than actual leaders of an army.

Perhaps that was Prime's greatest flaw as a leader - the fact that he never really put a robust contingency plan in place should he ever get killed or rendered unable to command. Magnus proved that he wasn't really up to the job (although I'd have him as a leader over Rodimus prime any day!).

16. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Jazz and Prowl. Ultra Magnus was/is a City Commander.

17. ShiroPrime

ShiroPrime blargh

Yes but outside of the movie, I've only seen him answer directly to Prime in season 4.

18. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

That's a rather cartoon-informed point of view, of course. But to add to that, I might argue that Jazz is also unsuitable as a leader. All 3 of the main contenders here are adequate seconds, but none of them are the type to step up to the plate and take the initiative. Prowl is a problem solver. Ironhide is a drill sergeant at best. Jazz, meanwhile is too independent, too much of a making-it-up-as-I-go-along loner type. He'd be too constrained by the demands of managing a larger force.

Both the Bots and the Cons suffer from similar but opposite problems. The Autobots lack strong leaders who are ready to step up to the plate. To my recollection, Grimlock was the only one who ever really was shown to WANT leadership. The Decepticons, on the other hand, have too many who are looking for their moment, which leads to their own inner strife issues.

What other Autobots might actually put their name forward? Hotspot, probably... he's bold, decisive, energetic, inspirational. Scattershot maybe, though the other bots may not take to his abrasive, aggressive style. Roadbuster is noted for being a dynamic leader of bots, but also for his brooding introversion when he's not actively fighting.

But what does that mean, even? Is he the mayor? :) 

I guess he's like, a civil defense leader? A base commander?

zmog

19. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

What would you erxpect....Optimus was dead in season 3.

20. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Jazz.

Prowl pretends to act like his right hand man because he wants Prime's love......