Prime's lips - there's still a chance we can get rid of them, says Roberto Orci

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Professor Marcus, Apr 29, 2007.

1. Professor Marcus

Professor Marcus New Member

Hello there!

I am a first time poster here and would like to say a quick "Hi" to everyone here on the forums. Instead of a long-winded introduction, let me get straight to the point by addressing a, IMHO, pressing and important matter: Optimus Prime's lips in the movie. I was over at the official movie boards and asked Roberto if there was any progress on the lip issue. Here's my post:

Roberto,

congrats on the positive review! I'm looking very much forward to the film, but one major gripe still remains - Prime's lips. Seems like people are not warming up to those lips, so, do you have any new info on Prime's exposed mouth? Are the lips gonna go or are they going to stay?

This is Roberto's reply:

Workin on it. Complain on every board you can think of if it's important to you.

Well, I took Roberto's advice to heart and I'd ask everyone who's against an Optimus Prime with an exposed mouth to do the same.

The Powers-That-Be themselves seem to be very uncertain and undecided about the lips and I think if we make enough noise we can still turn the tide on this one. I am quite certain that this is one of those cases where we, the fans, can make a difference. So, what are we waiting for? I invite those against the lips, go to every board you can think of and complain about the lips! I think we still have a chance of getting rid of them if me make enough noise!

The image of Optimus Prime is IMHO very iconic and if the movie makers had to get the look one character right, it would have been Optimus Prime. With those lips they, again IMHO, they failed to do exactly that. So, here's my suggestion to all the like-minded people out there who think that Prime should wear his mouthguard all the time, go tell the movie makers that you want exactly that. Make some noise and the design might get changed.

Thank you for reading ...

2. QuantumShock

QuantumShock Stay for brunch ?

News Credits:
    Welcome to the board !!

I still don't mind about the lips, if they really working on it, then the lips has got to go. :) 

3. Autobot Optimus

Autobot Optimus Autobot Commander

Will do! The lips must be defeated! No matter the cost!

4. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    out with the lips

prime being in constant battlemode sounds cool to me

jazz should also be in constant battlemode, his normal mode looks rubbish in comparison

5. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    We saw the lips. We saw that they did suck. And appearantly, people at the screening thought that as well.

So what are these people waiting for? Every piece of merchandise has the faceplate up, and the TV-spot hasn't aired yet. The general public has no clue about the lips, so they won't ask "what happened to that robot's mouth?". And they'll make the fans happy. What have they got to lose?

6. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I don't mind the lips, from the couple of seconds of them that I've seen.

7. Professor Marcus

Thanks for the welcome.

You know, the interesting thing about the lips is that we seem to be having a consensus here. Even people who are completely happy with the new designs would actually prefer a permanent mouthguard on Prime. Since even the movie-makers are still not sure about the lips I think if we make enough noise we can actually persuade TPTB to change Prime's design ...

8. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    you know, i dont mind the lips, but i really would prefer a mouthgard. i think that it's the only way to go.

9. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    But what would you RATHER have, if possible? Mouth or no mouth at all?

10. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Both. I have no problem with a battle mask.

11. Professor Marcus

From what I gather we're probably going to see Prime with his mouth exposed for most of the time. He's only going to wear his mouthguard in battle and, according to the AICN reviewer, only has the occasional line with the mouthguard up, which implies that he'll have his mouth exposed for most of his dialogue scenes.

To me Roberto's message translates kind of like "We're working on getting rid of the lips, but Michael Bay is not convinced yet, so go make some noise and help us achieve our goal."

12. Chris Bot

Chris Bot AutoChrisbot

News Credits:
    lips am die

13. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Personally I don't have THAT much of a problem with the lips. I'm fine either way, mainly because my favourite geekery moment in Cybertron was when Prime's faceplate slide up during the Super Mode sequence.

14. Hakudoushi

Hakudoushi Well-Known Member

I like the idea of them all having battle masks. It's a neat concept which I support, but after seeing Prime's lips (esp at that angle) makes me think they need to fix them. Not necisarily get rud of, they could work, just play with different styles and such.

15. turk128

turk128 Well-Known Member

Probably the best compromise and what I would also like to happen.

This very much can be interpreted either way; it's in no way a carte blanche to go spread the gospil of the evil lips (;) ) nor is it a back handed way of saying "whatever we're doing, you're gonna complain anyways, so go right ahead."

He's very much keeping the reply ambigious and up to the reader to interpret. In the end this is the best reply since it'll get the boards buzzing about this and that's free advertising if I ever heard of it :D 

16. Prime crotch

Prime crotch Well-Known Member

I like the idea of the battle mask it's just how the lips look that bothers me. I don't hate them but I wouldn't mind not seeing them.

17. Magelite

Magelite I make stupid look good

I would be happy with the lips if they did it Cybertron/Primal style. That way it keeps the faceplate shape even with the mouth exposed.

18. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

If I was making this film I'd have "no lips", but if they're there I won't go crying ino my popcorn or storm out the cinema in a huff. Even if he had lips for the whole movie (which we know he won't), it wouldn't spoil my enjoyment of it.

Guess I won't be petitioning anyone.

19. chaosbringer_00

chaosbringer_00 I am indescribable.

I'm gonna have to say ditch the lips. I mean, if they decided to go with them, that's fine, I can deal with that. But for me, the lips aren't as much of a "oh noes!!! It's not G1!!!!" sort of thing, as much as it is a "Prime looks soooo much cooler with a faceplate". I personally love the fact that the movie is straying so far from its roots, but I just think the faceplate looks cooler. There. That's my two cents.

Oh, and welcome to the boards :) 

20. Barricade

Barricade Frenzy is in my pants.

To hell with the lips! :mad