Prime's Inner Circle

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by smkspy, May 18, 2007.

1. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

So I'm bored at work, trying to avoid it so I'm thinking about the structure of the Autobot Army.

Since Prime is all-leader or president, who would be his trusted generals and staff? His inner circle who actually run the war against the decepticons.

Here's the list I have

Prowl: Second-in-Command, helps plan the overall war effort with Prime.

Grimlock: Prime's frontline general, he's the one to oversee the training of the army and leads the first wave in battles.

Jetfire: Commanded of all technical divisons including science, medical, and exploration.

Jazz: Prime's head of Transformer CIA, he's performs the operations that Autobot can never admit to doing, but are necessary in a time of war.

Ultra Magnus: He's the public face of the Transformers on Earth, and handles all the public relations with both humans and civilian transformers.

Hot Rod: Prime's apprentice, and one day leader of the Autobots. Prime educates him by making performs tasks with all his generals.

Ironhide: Prime's best friend, oldest ally, and counsellor is there simply because Prime needs someone to talk too.

Who is everyones' picks.

2. thoughtcrime

thoughtcrime Well-Known Member

I like most of your list, but replace Magnus with Bumblebee, and take Hot Rod out entirely.

3. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Switch Jazz and Prowl.

4. smkspy

I placed UM in there since he was leader of Autobot City, and I've always imagine Autocity has not just a base for Autobots, but also a New Canaan for the civilian Cybertronians that fled Cybertron once the decepticons started winning the war. I figure Bumblebee serves alongside UM has a second in command and rep to humans, but UM would be the guy in charge.

I included Hot Rod because i refuse to believe that Prime (the greatest autobot leader ever) would be so out of touch with the Matrix that he could not spot his successor when he saw him. It would only be natural for him to include HR in a learning capacity in which he would be exposed to the greatest Autobot minds.

Man I am really bored at work today...:eek: 

5. Quantum

Quantum Oh good

I'd have Mirage as head of espionnage - might be considered the same as Jazz's job, but I'd make him the head of Human Relations as I think Magnus is too stuffy to handle diplomacy very well. I'd keep him in charge of policing themselves, like the military police kind of thing.

6. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I always figured Grimlock to be more of a shock troop/special ops commander; the people who are sent in to do the nasty, undesirable or just plain suicidal missions.
    I'd also put Ironhide in charge of security; there's no-one more experienced (plus I believe it was his original role).

7. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

The bearer of the Matrix is more like King of the Autobots. Or at least chieftan.

8. smkspy

Meh no real difference to me besides being elected. I was more trying to draw an analogy between Prime's Inner circles and a government's cabinet or Secretary of...
    Prowl-- Sec of War
    Jetfire-- Head of Nasa
    Hot Rod- Vice President
    Ultra Magnus-- Sec of state
    IronHide-- Head of Secret Service
    Jazz- CIA director
    Grimlock-- Top Army five star general::who ever runs the armed services::

those autobots in charge of LARGE depts, numbers f soldiers, and etc.

9. betetta

betetta guitar face

i would add smokescreen, according to his DW profile prime used him as a bond between him and most of his troops to find out if there's any tension among them.

10. Soundatron

Soundatron A Blight Upon The Land

Wheelie as a shield or Jetfire's science test subject.

11. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    base commander and cief of securety: RED ALERT

nobody moves aroun in the base , not even Prime without RED knows it. he sense decepticons befer the others and prepare them to attack.

Has support help to defend home base from Omega Suprem unless Prime wants firepower on the front line.

12. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Thing is the Transformers aren't really nations with governments, their populations are more like a tribal band. With Megatron/Optimus Prime as tribal chiefs or kings. But Grimlock wouldn't be any sort of general. He'd be the spec ops soldier. Like Jonas from "The Unit".

13. NemesisPrime

NemesisPrime Banned

Grimlock is commander of the special ops unit "Dynobots" or Dinobots...take your pick..

14. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I like all your original choices...maybe take out Hot Rod though. Oh and maybe Perceptor instead of Jetfire as the head science guy. Everything else seems perfect to me.

15. Draco Prime

Draco Prime Autobot

President: Optimus Prime
    Vice President: Nemisis Prime
    Secratary of Defense and public relations: Ultra Magnus, Hes has to deal with something some time

16. LEADERS_MATRIX

LEADERS_MATRIX Wisdom of the ages...

Magnus should be 2nd in comand, and I agree about perceptor being the siance guy.
    the rest is good.

17. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    ima play devils...solicitor? here and say this:

while this discussion is valid, what i liked abt TF, g1 at least, was the lack of a sense of hierarchy. they were more like a fraternity and while designations were there, they were for the most part, informal. nobody pulled rank and camaraderie was great. they were more like a crack unit with everybody knowing their unspoken roles.

that was neat. i heart g1.

18. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I LOVE stuff like this. :) 

I agree with the point that the Autobot army is probably not structured the same way that we are used to. Also, I think that it might be a mistake to assume that all these guys report directly to Prime.

For example, with Ultra Magnus... I always had a different interpretation of him. I thought he was one of the few high level autobots still left on Cybertron, and had to keep things running in Prime's absence. This idea was formed in my mind when the Ultra Magnus toy came out, but before the movie was released... from his tech spec, I always somehow assumed the Autobot City was on Cybertron. I figured this sort of made UM a civil defense officer.

I agree that Jazz is important... he always seemed to share the right hand spot with Prowl on the old cartoon... but I see him taking a more obscure role. He's sort of like the James Bond of the Autobots. Er... a jive James Bond. :) 

In any case, Mirage shouldn't be the head of espionage. Both Jazz and Bumblebee outrank him, and he's also "not to be trusted". I see Mirage as more of a field agent.

Ironhide as the head of Security? I don't know... it should be Red Alert, but Ironhide outranks him according to the techspecs. I often hear Ironhide referred to as Prime's bodyguard... which is an interesting interpretation.

Jetfire is a weird wild card because his origins are all contradictory... why would a former Decepticon be granted such a high rank? Was he built on earth or not? Is he a science guy or an "Air Guardian"? Do you honor his 10 Rank from his tech specs, and if so, do you also honor his 6 Strength?

Personally, I see him as an officer who heads up the Autobot Aerospace division. He's a big believer in keeping up with technology, but he's not a top scientist necessarily... I reserve that status for Wheeljack and Perceptor.

I like the idea that people have put out that Grimlock and his Dinobots are shock troops who just can't operate inside the normal Autobot command structure due to their bad attitudes and insubordination... quite possibly they were even criminals or a Dirty Dozen-like unit made up of bots who normally would have been thrown out of the force entirely. Grimlock's rank is so high because it reflects that he is the absolute commander of a more or less independent unit that only he can command.

There are also other characters that frequently get left out of lists like this... Skids... Roadbuster... and especially SkyLynx. I never really liked Skylynx much, but you have to give him some credit for his rank... Autobot Lieutenant Commander! How come we never see him take charge? :) 

zmog

19. thoughtcrime

thoughtcrime Well-Known Member

Certainly valid, but I personally refuse to recognize Hot Rod in my Autobot heirarchy, so for me at least the character doesn't exist as written. I just keep him as some background dope who dies easily & quickly lol.

20. The Crazy Collector

The Crazy Collector Well, that's just Prime! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I agree with KA. I heart G1 too!

Seriously though, I think he's right. The Autobots don't have specified ranks, everyone just does what they are best at. I think the Autobots differ primarily from a regular military force in that they are fighting for not only their survial, but a way of life. There is no competition within the ranks to achieve recognition or a higher pay bracket cause that would be counter productive to achieving their goals. I think that trying to figure out everyone's position within the military would really work better with the Decepticons. They seemed more like an organized military force to me. The Autobots are more of a loosly organized bunch of rebels.

Regarding Prime's leadership, the other Autobots don't follow him cause someone told them to, or because he carries the Matrix. They follow Prime's orders because they like him. He relates to his troops on a personal level. He's their friend. Certrainly he's a competent leader as well, but under different leadership, the Autobots probably would have been defeated long ago. For example, Prowl could never effectivly lead the Autobots cause he can't relate to them, and they don't relate to him because he distances himself emotionally from everyone. Even though that's what makes Prowl good at his job as a tactician, it would make him a lousy leader. Prime represents the best that they can be, and they try to live up to that ideal.

Huh, got a little off topic there, and more than a little philisophical. Sorry! Back on topic:

Does Prime answer to anyone? Is Prime the "president/chief/king/whatever?" In the Dreamwave continuity, it seemed Prime answered to the Council of Elders, but the rest of the time, he seems to be in over all charge. I suspect that the Council leads during peace times, but Prime takes over during a military crisis.