Prime's death reaction

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Wheeljack30, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

As most of all the kids were all sad, crying and shocked when they saw Prime and the rest of The Autobots and Starscream dead in The Movie, and all of them locked themselves in their room after Prime's death. But what where your reactions and what where you thinking when Season 3 started when the originals were all GONE?

2. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was born in 1991 so.....

3. Lord-Starscream

Lord-Starscream Banned

I was traumatized by the whole thing, I still get counseling for it, and I remember the first week it was realeased i was the only one among my friends who saw it they didn't be leave me that prime and others died

4. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    I was more upset over the lost of a hero that died in a battle being out number to ensure the survival of the human race. Seeing Prime died didnt mean a thing to me, Megatron just got lucky with how things were in the battle.

5. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I was unaffected.

I'm a Decepticon fan, and my favorite TFs date from 1987-1989.

6. Sideways77

Sideways77 its movie time here come the manbabies

News Credits:
    When I saw the movie, I was just like; 'Well, the main hero always has to die.'

7. Galvatron Rage

Galvatron Rage Question Authority

I don't remember specifically, but I'm sure it shocked me. I remember loving the movie, and I had a bunch of post-movie figures like Rodimus Prime, Springer, and Ultra Magnus so I guess it didn't phase me too much.

I have to admit, though - I still get goosebumps on my arms when I hear the "Death of Optimus Prime" track from the '86 movie soundtrack!

8. Kaiwera05

Kaiwera05 Soundwave Enthusiast

Ebay:
    I wasn't born, and I hadn't seen the movie until earlier this year, but I was pretty devastated to see Prime go. Although I completely forgot he stayed dead until I saw the third season. Gotta love having the memory of a goldfish.

9. GFH

GFH The G Squad

News Credits:
    I blamed it on Hot Rod, I hate Hot Rod. But I wasn't to worried about Prime dying really. At this point I'd seen him snuff it in ROTF and Animated already and read the synopsis for TFTM on Teletraan 1.

10. GPTF01

GPTF01 Well-Known Member

i was born in 88. all ready knew about his death. i actualy watched season 3 before season one and two when they where rerunning them back in the 90's

11. Dark-Sakura

Dark-Sakura Hellmurder's Daughter

Well, since I wasn't really around the time it came out, I still saw it because I was fortunate enough to have my dad to show it to me. I think the Transformers Movie may have been the first of it all to get me hooked on it, and at a young age as well.
    Since I never quite knew at that time what Optimus was like before the movie, I wasn't really affected much by it, because I pretty much knew, even at so young, that they wouldn't have kept it like that for long. I always remembered Optimus Prime being the hero and everything, so I thought the whole concept was dubious.
    After research more recently, I found out that it wasn't very well received due to this particular scene. It was nothing that no nine-to twelve year old kid wanted to see happen to Prime at all. xD
    I think this caused much devoted fans at that age to avoid the franchise, at least until Optimus came back near the end of the third season.
    I am a devoted Transformers fan, but I am not disturbed a bit from that scene. Maybe it's because I always knew he'd come back. I guess the kids were all just so horrified because they didn't know that he would make a comeback or not. No idea. :lol 

12. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Ya know, I never blamed Hot Rod- not then and not now.

Prime's death didn't affect me as much as it did other people... but it was the deaths of the others (Ironhide's in particular) that really bothered me.

13. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

Didn't actually see if for myself until months later, but I remember the trailer for the movie with the whole "Does Optimus Prime die?" and didn't think much of it.

So a friend of mine at school went and saw the movie--becomes the popular kid of the day as the rest of us hover on him for info. And I ask jokingly, "So, does Optimus Prime die?"

He said "Yeah."

Floored me. Didn't cry over it or anything, but I couldn't believe it. Things got worse when we found out LOTS of characters died. Certainly changed the show when that happened. Watching reruns before the third season got started and seeing characters we knew had died, it was kinda surreal.

14. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    I was surprised that Prime died, and horrified at Starscream's murder.

15. Galvatron Rage

Galvatron Rage Question Authority

Because Megatron shot him point-blank in the face? Yeah, I agree. That was way hardcore.

"Such heroic nonsense..." BOOM!

16. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    I was excited to see S3 with a new cast in a new setting. I figured S3 would either be all new or a leadup to the movie with the introduction of UM, Hot Rod, and the others, leading into the Autobots losing Cybertron but kicking the 'cons off of Earth.

After/during the attack on the shuttle, I was shocked, but it was a war and people die in war, even the guys you like.

17. New Soundwave

New Soundwave SUXXOR

at the time I didn't see the movie, but when season 3 started with a different cast on both sides I didn't like it. Growing up watching American cartoons, the hero was always around, the hero didn't die. As a young viewer, I spent 2 seasons of getting to know all the characters only to start over again in season 3. Now as an adult, I love season 3.

18. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    As a kid, I was in utter shock with the attack on the Autobot shuttle. These Autobots were my heroes, and the Decepticons just wasted them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Insecticons "blocking the way in" I initially thought were clones, so I was a bit more uncaring.

[​IMG]

Seeing Wheeljack and Windcharger [presumably] dead was pretty horrifying.

[​IMG]

After all of this, Optimus Prime mauling over the Decepticons, transform-jumping, flipping around, and giving the Decepticons "one humongous repair bill" at least started to make up for the Autobots killed in the shuttle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The "final battle" of Prime and Megatron seemed inevitable by this point, though. My excitement couldn't have been higher! But with Megatron's deception, Prime fell . . . but only to deliver one, final blow to Megatron!

[​IMG]

But Prime dying . . . while I had prepared myself (I wasn't able to see it in the theater, but had the sticker book that told the story), I was mortified.

[​IMG]

Megatron, while near death, ousted Prime. "Wait, I still function!" Struck his deal with Unicron along with the other Decepticon corpses to be reborn!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I always felt Starscream got what was coming to him. Megatron - now Galvatron! - proved he wasn't going to deal with Starscream like he formally had. He set a new precedent for the Decepticons - taking the fear instilled into them from Megatron,but steps further. Betray Galvatron like Starscream always had Megatron and you die. End of story. "All Hail Galvatron!"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"First Prime, then Ultra Magnus . . . ." Magnus was really trying hard to not only take command of the Autobots, but doing so after the immediate loss of one of the Autobot's greatest hero. The main problem I had with Magnus' "demise" is that the Junkion's just put him back together, with his legs on backwards first! I guess they tweaked that off-camera. I always thought, "well, now go back and fix the rest of 'em!"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unicron's defeat never seemed permanent, but it took everything the Transformers had to stop him!

[​IMG]

Anyways, I said all of that to say that I was retroactively dealing with all of the above, as I was midstream into Season 3 before I saw the movie. I'd read the story (but I didn't [don't] have all the stickers) in the sticker book for the movie. I was excited to see the new 'bots mixed in with a few of my favorites from the first two seasons. I'd adjusted to things, despite having each of the reactions above.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, I reiterate Magnus' demise and rebuilding. He was clearly dead (in cannon, and also from the original script), yet the Junkions just rebuilt the "smashed up friend soon like new with 90 day warranty!" While Kup wasn't "dead" after arriving on Quintessa, Hot Rod fixed him too. My thinking always was, "these guys are robots! Just repair 'em! Do it and do it NOW!" Fast forward just a little bit, and we get Optimus Prime's "return" as well. This had me believing that at some point the others would just get repaired eventually, too. Nevermind the background cameo of "Windcharger" running in Season 3, or any other such instances, but later we got two other Starscream toys later after Unicron rebuilt him. Action Masters also saw Prowl and Wheeljack come back as well.

[​IMG]

tldr = Already adjusted because I'd read the movie before I saw it; new characters grew on me; deaths never really felt like "deaths" since most of them came back.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  19. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    ... but those scenes were so good. Even at a young age I thought so, haha.

20. Cmdr Prime

Cmdr Prime co-Commander of Autobots TFW2005 Supporter

When I saw the movie I bawled and I still do. Every time I watch the movie on DVD and listen to a particular track by Vince DiCola it still gets me bawling I cannot help it. My friends cannot understand it and they never will. But When Galvatron blasted Starcream I felt nothing

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011