Prime's combined mode: what's it going to be?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Excelsior Prime, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Excelsior Prime

Excelsior Prime Autobot Leader

We've got two conflicting sources regarding Prime's combined mode with his trailer:

1-"Butterfly Prime"-as evidenced by the Ultimate Prime toy, Optimus has a power-up mode with armor provided by his trailer. He has the one MechTech cannon and no other discernible weapons.

2-"Jetwing Prime"-The retooled ROTF Leader Prime from Takara, this Prime seems closest to what's been seen in the trailers: Prime has two massive jet boosters (likely from Jetfire) and two equally massive canons. This toy does not, however, show any evidence of an armored, power-up mode.

Both toys do seem to overlap in some areas, yet are divergent in others. Ultimate Prime has wings and some sort of bizarre array protruding from the trailer behind his head. Jetwing Prime has wings as well. However, Ultimate Prime doesn't seem to feature the boosters nor the massive guns.

So which version is closest to the film version? Or will the film version be some sort of amalgam of the two?

I personally think the trailer simply holds Prime's Jetwing parts: boosters, wings, and canons. It seems the Ultimate Prime is a case of wasting no plastic, thereby creating a film-inaccurate trailer-armor combined mode.

If anyone knows for sure (from the novelization or comic book adaptation), please be sure to use spoiler code.

2. nametaken

nametaken Well-Known Member

whats the discussion, don't we see prime flying in the movie trailers already in his powered up mode?

3. Excelsior Prime

^^^We see him flying with the boosters, but it's not clear if there's a powered-up armor mode or not. We just see the wings and the boosters...so does he connect at all with the trailer? That's the question I'm asking.

4. RedWolf

RedWolf Well-Known Member

I think the trailer has been described as a Swiss army knife. It can provide a shield, Mechtech weapons, armor that sort of thing.

5. baggzey23

baggzey23 psn - baggzey23

i'm guessing hasbro wanted to be lazy and atach the whole thing instead of separating it and being clever with the transformation

6. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    It could be a black butterfly although Jetwing Prime is a better posibility

7. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    it will turn into the jetwing armor like on the cyberverse commander toy and takara jetwing imo by the trailers.

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I do see the Butterfly Prime as a rough approximation of his Jetpack, since it would make for a positively titanic jetpack if it was accurate to the pack's design.

9. Excelsior Prime

I'd forgotten all about the Cyberverse toy...excellent point.

I'm guessing you're right, which is a little disappointing. I was kind of hoping for an armored mode, a la Powermaster Prime.