Primes and all things related to The Matrix

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Colossus Prime, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Colossus Prime

Colossus Prime Worshiping the Matrix

Hello all, long time lurker, new member.

As I stated under another forum here, I'm recently married and a new home owner and as such have promised my wife that I'd limit my toy collecting as much as possible. For Transformers I've decided to limit my figures to things related to Primes/The Matrix. This means I collect figures that I like of Optimus Prime, Optimus Primal, Rodimus/Hot Rod, and the lonely Vector Prime.

So couple of questions:
    1) Since I didn't follow any of the new cartoons (I was really turned off by how childish Armada was, but happy that there was a new toon for kids) is Primus a carrier of The Matrix? The figure looks awesome but if he was never a carrier of the Matrix I'll feel ok with not buying him.

2) Not really dealing with toys, but in all the TF continuities, how many primes do we know by name? Through "The War Within" we're told that Sentinel Prime was the predecessor to Optimus, so that's the only one I know of that we've never actually seen. So just to list the ones I know then: Optimus Prime, Rodimus Prime, Vector Prime, Optimus Primal (both US and Japanese versions).

Thanks.

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Well, Primal isnt a Prime, really.

As for Primus, he's the transformer god. he's not a Matrix carrier, but if you follow marvel comic continuity, it contains his life-essense. so the matrix is a primus-carrier.

3. Code of Honor

Code of Honor TT Decepticon

You could say that Primus created The Matrix. Also as Valkysas said, Primus is the God of all Transformers, that’s a good enough reason right there to get Him. Plus the Name is close to Prime, and he is Cybertron, but when you get right down to it He’s just a really great toy.
    As for your other question, Allot! Sorry I don’t have a better answer.

4. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Yeah, Primus doesn't carry the Matrix.... The Matrix is a part of Primus (plus the various dead Primes).

Primes we know of....

As far as "in the same reality" the most we know is Vector -> Optimus -> Rodimus

Is Vector Prime really a Prime? I never bothered to check.

Lio Convoy and Big Convoy are both Matrix bearers, and both different people if you wish to count them. Although it seems to me that they are both carrying matrixes at the same time, indicating multiple matricies for whatever reality you want to lump BWII/Neo into. I know nothing of the fiction there so...

I don't know if Primal was ever a Prime or not. Evidence doesn't indicate that he is unless I missed something.

When we start throwing in other realities, you got Fire Convoy and that new chowda' head from Armada/Energon/Cybertron.

Then from comics there's the recently written GI Joe Vs Transformers where we are introduced to *spoiler*
    Serpentor Prime and Hawk Prime.

5. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There were several pre-Optimus Primes mentioned in the Marvel comic. The only ones I remember, sadly, are Prima, the original Matrix-bearer, and Sentinel Prime, who preceded Ops.

Oh, and don't forget that the Matrix-centric collecting hobby does give you the right to purchase Titanium Scourge when he comes out. ;) 

6. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

This question makes me wonder who was the Matrix carrier during BW/BM? It would have been an interesting plot device if the show would have continued.

7. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Don't forget Ultra Magnus carried the Matrix for a short time.

BWII has multiple Matrices. According to Japanese continuity, Optimus Primal has one as well (the ornamentation on his chest). BWII Galvatron also has an evil Matrix, the Galvamatrix. There are a bunch of non-toy Convoys in the Beast Wars Neo manga, each of which is supposed to have a Matrix.

If you want to equate Primes with Convoys, Every planet leader in Galaxy Force was a Convoy.

8. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot You can, you up. No can, no BB.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Well on hasbro's website, the ask Vector Prime section he said he carried the Matrix of leadership didn't he?

9. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha Well-Known Member

And then of course there are all the Nemesis Primes/Scourges.... black "evil" Prime clones. And the anime-colored Galvatron comes with a Matrix that hangs on a chain around his neck. Gotta get that! ;) 

10. DrBifford

DrBifford Well-Known Member

Didn't Thunderwing have the matrix in the Marvel comicbook?

11. dragontron88

dragontron88 Your new Lord, & Master

Anime Galvatron came with a Matrix, was that mentioned yet? Primal did have the matrix in him when he went Optimal, so I would think you can at least count Optimal.

12. Wiggyof09

Wiggyof09 Well-Known Member

Depending on how you look at it, Primal may have had the matrix at one point. When they extrcted Optimus Prime's spark, it looked like the matrix, but they said it was his spark. So it depends on if you want to go by what it looks like or what they claimed it was. According the the American Canon he never officially had the Matrix of Leadership though, but the spark of optimus did apprently leave some kind of matrix like signal according to beast machines I believe.

13. Colossus Prime

See I was never aware that Optimus Primal never officially carried the Matrix. Oh well, so that's the one character I'm technically cheating with I guess.

So I'll be picking myself up a Primus in the next couple weeks then, and unless other primes or introduced, just sticking with figures I like of Optimus, Rodimus, Primal, and in the VERY unlikely event of a new form of Vector.

Thanks.

14. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Yes, he certainly did! That was a major part of the last issues, from the Matrix Quest onwards.

15. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Depends on how you want to look at it. He did officially have a Matrix in the Japanese version of Beast Wars. He actually used it in the Beast Wars II movie.

16. Baltan

Baltan Space Ninja

For some reason, everybody (except dragontron88, I see) seems to have ignored that Optimus Primal took in Optimus Prime's spark to become Optimal Optimus, and that the show tried to equate the Matrix to G1 Prime's spark. So in the show's own convoluted way, he is a Matrix bearer.

17. Hound_Dawg

Hound_Dawg Well-Known Member

In the beast wars neo movie it shows Primal using a "matrix blaster" the same as Lio Convoy, So, he was in the japanese continuity a matrix bearer. Colossus Prime it really comes down to a certian point of view.

18. Colossus Prime

Well I since I currently have 4 verisions of Optimus Primal now and am only waiting on the Primal/Megatron TRU exclusive set to finish off all the ones I want, I think I can easily let him having or not having the Matrix slide a little. :thumb 

19. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot You can, you up. No can, no BB.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Well Primal never had the Matrix because in Japanese Headmasters Rodimus took the matrix and disappeared forever with it.

20. Alpha Prime

Alpha Prime Ten Years Strong

In Energon, did Prime have the matrix or the Spark of Combination thinggy?