prime upgrade kits?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by tigatron2002, Jul 9, 2014.

1. tigatron2002

tigatron2002 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hey y'all, just have a quick question. I know there were upgrade kits for fe prime, bulkhead and arcee but were any ever made for the prid versions? And what characters have upgrades from 3rd party companies, not shapeways. I know prid megatron has a kit coming out soon. Thanks for any help y'all can offer

2. soymonk

soymonk Mathematical!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Dr. Wu and Zenith Forge, off the top of my head.

3. Alteron_Sheng

Alteron_Sheng 'Tis an Kitbasher & Elder TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    There are some very nice upgrade kits on Shapeways as well. There's a set for Knockout that fill out his torso and double as carmode rocket boosters, as well as a set of three weapons
    There's a Wheeljack set and Smokescreen set there too^^

4. Alteron_Sheng

Alteron_Sheng 'Tis an Kitbasher & Elder TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Oh, sorry I missed the 'not shapeways' at first.
    That cuts out a lot of the kits out there, although there are still Dr. Wu and Zenith Forge and a few others out there. I've got the Solus Forge from Dr. Wu and I bought the First Edition Bulkhead kit, but other than that it's been all Shapeways sets for my Prime toys (sorry)

...Oh, does anyone know of a Malboro style Wheeljack head that I could use/modify for a TFPrime Wheeljack?

5. Timesynch

Timesynch I still function! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Dr. Wu made some upgrade kits for PRID Arcee (her blades and guns; they also work for First Edition Arcee in either blue or pink depending on the version you get), Wheeljack (his swords - which are metal, cannon muzzles, unmasked face, and grenade; there is also a Dark Energon Wheeljack/Slicer version in translucent blue plastic), and the Solus Forge hammer (Christmas version in show accurate gold and Year of the Horse version in bright yellow; includes Ultra Magnus' laser rifle he used in an ep or two).

There's also the Dreamworks Toys Studio Solus Forge hammer kit that also doubles as the twin cannons (with rear bumper piece) for First Edition Bulkhead. Comes in lighter green Hasbro color version, darker green Takara version, and a transparent light purple (dark energon?) version.

6. tigatron2002

tigatron2002 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've tried a few of the shapeways sets but am only OK at painting. The upgrades I currently have are

Dr wu skybreaker
    Dr wu dark tyrant
    Dr wu thunderclap
    Dr wu full gear
    Fakebusker desecrated vambraces

Beyond that I have a few mods of my own making but it looks like the prid versions of characters have largely been ignored sadly, there seem to be no upgrades for bulkhead on shapeways or otherwise, arcee however does have a shapeways set but only fe got a full retail release set

Edit: wait does the Dr wu courageous set work with prid arcee? I've also tried several other shapeways sets but prefer full retail releases as I kind of suck at painting at times

7. Timesynch

Timesynch I still function! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    ^ The Courageous set can work with PRID Arcee since it includes two 5mm peg pieces for the hand guns (so she can hold them like normal pistols rather than slotting over her hands as they should in the show on the FE figure), and the blades can slot in the 5mm ports in her forearms, but they're darker blue in color to match FE Arcee rather than the light blue on PRID Arcee.

8. tigatron2002

tigatron2002 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Good to know, thought the guns were fe only

9. tigatron2002

tigatron2002 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So I just browsed through shapeways again and found a ton of stuff that I want to get, guess I need to get better at painting haha, made myself a pretty huge wish list that will provide most of the upgrades I'm looking for

10. fakebusker83

fakebusker83 Radicon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, do let me know if you're interested in anything on my shop. I can try to consolidate several items together to save you some coin. Just note that consolidated models have to be printed in the same material and colour though.

And heh, yeah sorry about the need to paint stuff. If there's a way to 3D print full coloured items in proper material I'll leap right into it.

11. tigatron2002

tigatron2002 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks, there was a bunch of stuff from your store that I liked. My biggest problem when painting is colors running together, I've had limited success with painting shapeways models and a little better success adding detail paint to prime figures themselves since the lines and breaks are a little better defined at times than the wsf material

12. fakebusker83

fakebusker83 Radicon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That is true. Shapeways WSF suits certain styles of painting better. It can't accommodate really clean paint jobs.

13. tigatron2002

tigatron2002 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Which material would you generally recommend for a better paint job? For both weapons and some replacement heads

14. fakebusker83

fakebusker83 Radicon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Let me broaden the query to include the aspect of 'usability'. For best detail and paintwork, Frosted Ultra Detail is the best, but it is unsuitable for anything that requires flexing and deformation such as ball joint sockets. FUD is best for head models and smaller weapon accessories.

For most other models I'll recommend White Strong Flexible. Polishing helps for models with large clean surfaces, but it tends to wear down areas with small details.

Some of my friends recommend Alumide (now known as metallic plastic) but I find it's slightly too brittle for me, plus it has the worst tolerances. Nice neutral grey colour, though.

15. tigatron2002

tigatron2002 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Cool, thanks for the suggestions. For stuff I can print in specific colors I tend to go with dyed strong and flexible, never tried FUD though