Prime season 1 vs Animated season 1

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Rexidus, May 8, 2011.

?

Based solely on their first season, which do you prefer?

1. Prime

151 vote(s)
    65.1%
  2. Animated

91 vote(s)
    39.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    After seeing all the gushing going on for the last episode of Prime, a question popped into my head. I never got into Animated for a number of reasons while it was on the air. I've seen it now and enjoyed it but I'm not upset I missed it live.

So my question is, based solely on their first seasons (which I admit may cause this to be premature since Prime hasn't finished its first) which franchise do you prefer? You can vote for both if you desire.

2. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

Prime

3. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    Going with both on this. I love Animated because it reminded me so much of Beast Wars. Like Optimus Primal, Optimus Prime was a nobody that became great. Plus at the time we had a Megatron that nearly took the best Megatron ever role from Beast Wars Megatron. Plus I loved the fact for the first time since 2000, I had my characters back on tv and not some more 80's redo characters I could care less about.

Now with Prime its really differemt, great story arch and we have yet again another Megatron that could become better then Beast Wars Megatron. I also love this Starscream and he made a great leader until Megatron came back. With Arcee, I'm just going to pretend the G1 and other versions never happen. This Arcee needs to be the one any future version of the character would take after.

Now I just wish Optimus Prime and Bumblebee would be a bit different. I'm not expecting Animated Prime, but even Optimus Primal could pull off being serious and yet show off other emotions. Now with Bumblebee, the R2D2 tribute it getting old. It really does take away from not knowing a single word he says.

4. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Animated, hands down. I'm not sure what it is, but for some reason I've had a really hard time getting into Prime. I don't think it's a bad show and I enjoy it when I watch it, but I find that it takes some effort for me to actually sit down and watch an episode. I just watched Sick Minds for the first time yesterday, for example, and even though it was a couple hours before part two aired, I didn't bother to go and watch it when it aired. I just have this overwhelming sense of apathy towards Prime that I can't really explain.

Honestly, I think a lot of it boils down to how much I miss Animated. Animated was an amazing show with a great cast of characters and voice actors, great designs, and a very deep yet simultaneously fun story. For me, Prime lags behind it in all of these aspects. I genuinely love Prime Arcee (especially compared to Animated Prowl, who I always thought was an insufferable douche), but the rest of the cast doesn't appeal to me much - Prime is boring, I hate mute Bumblebees, and I can't watch Bulkhead and Ratchet without thinking about how much better the Animated incarnations were. The Decepticons I think are similarly inferior and I find the human cast very hit-or-miss (ten episodes in and I still fucking hate Miko). I can appreciate how Prime is going for a darker and more mature story - and I do think it works, by and large - but I think animated handled its plot in a much better manner and did a good job of combining character moments, humor, and some surprisingly dark plot twists, even just within the first season like the OP is asking.

I don't know, maybe I'm just still bitter over how Animated got cut short by Hasbro and Cartoon Network, but the way it stands now, if someone gave me the choice to either keep Prime on the air now or replace it with new Animated, I'd drop Prime in a heartbeat and I honestly doubt I'd ever regret it.

5. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Prime>Animated, no contest. Honestly, looking back at Animated, and even re-watching a couple of the episodes, I'm not entirely sure why I liked it so much. Not that I hate it or anything, but I don't like it nearly as much as I used to.

6. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Animated. Prime's good, but not as good.

7. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW Spongebob since 2007

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Both well Animated did bring out the Dinobots which Prime need to do,but least that we've have Wheeljack in it.

8. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

I prefer Prime.
    I like the slow build-up of Universe we are having here, revealing episode by episode tiny bits of the events in The Great War and its consequences, each episode also develops one character [Darkness Rising was on the Team Prime as a whole but mostly Arcee, Masters and Students was on Bumblebee and Soundwave, Scraplets on Team Prime as a whole again, Wheeljack episode was on Bulkhead, Deus Ex Machina was on Bulkhead again, etcetera], showing us more and more of their personality.

Animated already introduced most of the universe at the beginning, that's not a bad thing [I actually like this "everything big and epic" right from the beginning], but I'm digging more the slow discovery of TF: Prime.

I would say that on "World Building aspects", they're on equal, but I prefer Prime for personal reasons.

The point where Prime conquers Animated [to me, at least] is on the characters: I think they are being much better handled than in Animated [which was also good handling characters], much more personality and plots and better VA's, they all have an unique set of puzzling backgrounds and personalities [thus matching the whole "world building" earlier mentioned].

Starscream, Soundwave, Ratchet and Bulkhead are particulary better than their Animate's counterparts [though they were inspired by them, ironically].

So I'll go with Prime.

9. Philip164

Philip164 Board Member

News Credits:
    Well I don't think it's premature, I consider the first and second season of Animated as a combined season. I consider the return of Megatron as the midway point in both series; Prime handles the "Megatron out of action" much better then Animated. So comparing the Megatron's gone story arcs of both series, Prime wins hands down. It's not until the second and third season of Animated that it brings it's "A" game while Prime had it from the start.

10. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    Animated easily. The characters we more original, and Prime Bulkhead and Ratchet seem too similar to the Animated versions. Also, there is no re-watch value for me in TF: Prime, no matter how much I like the episode at first. I even had trouble re-watching 'Out of His Head'.

11. Sideways77

Sideways77 some garbage is okay

News Credits:
    Well, I tie them. But I prefer Prime slighly more. But here are some good points.

Prime is just more exiting. More action, more development, (We practicaly only got development for Prime, Ratchet, and Prowl.) and more imporantly a good plot. The voice cast is... okay. Don't get me wrong, I think all the voices suite them, but I think Animated has a better voice cast. Maybe Baldwin could do a bit better, but it's okay. It's Animal Mother. Another good thing is hope the characters are not what you expect. Starscream isn't arrogent or cocky when it comes to overthrowing Megatron, Breakdown isn't a Stunticon, Knockout is a Decepticon, Arcee is blue, Bee has no voice, and Cliffjumper isn't a Bee redeco. Oh, and Arcee doesn't mope around and fall victim to EVERYTHING.

Animated, on the other hand is just behind Prime. It doesn't have enough action. Sure, Megatron VS Autobots, Seekers VS Megatron, Autobots VS Ramjet, and Prime VS Megatron were good fights. Animated's voice cast is superior. I mean LEGENDS have voiced in it. Corey Burton, Tom Kenny, Lance Hendrikson, Wierd Al, and FRED FRICKING WILLARD. The overall plot is great. And it has that classical cartoon feel. Prime kinda looks like an anime.

Remember, this is only an opinion. Don't flip your lids.

12. Alienbot

Alienbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Prime definitely, far more engaging and one of the shows I look forward to watching, love the animation and music. Not that I have anything against Animated, but Prime took the best of it (Starscream, Ratchet, Bulkhead) and blended it with G1 and the films.

13. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Prime. I couldn't stand Animated.

14. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Both. I expected Prime to be good after Animated, which surprised me with how enjoyable it was right away. It was a solid, fun show with fresh new ideas and characters. Then again Prime has managed to live up to the high expectations left by Animated, so I don't know which is better.

15. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Animated.

Just appeals to me more. I like how Prime has an entirely different tone,but I'm finding it harder to watch with every new episode. True, Animated was a bit of a 'love it or hate it' series, but I was definitely on the 'love it' side. Prime, on the other hand, seems to try and play it safe on pretty much every level, from designs to storylines. Overall I feel there was a bit more heart in Animated.

But Prime is definitely a capable show. I'd much rather watch this than something like Armada, which doesn't do anything for me. :thumbs2: 

16. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    Animated with out a doubt!

Animated had a new imaginative univese. Characters were very fun and all of them were very very likeable.
    Prime was like Primal, Ratcher was awesome and hilarious to watch and Bee and Bulkhead were a great team. Prowl was teh badass of the group and teh decepticons were probably the best Decepticons in the history of the franchise. Every episode was fun, different, and I coulnd't wait for the weekend in order to watch it, and when I did wacth it Iwas at the end of my seat, and was sad that the episode ended.

Prime on the other hand is just so boring and generic. Prime is boring, Bee is annoying with his beep and boops, Bluckhead and Ratchet are pretty meh and uniteresting compared to their Aniamted counterparts, and Arcee is again just meh...

As for Decepticons Megatron and Starscream are really cool, but the drones and everyone else are again just boring...

I just don't want to watch the episodes anymore. I find myself downloading the episode and waiting 2 or 3 days before watchin it, and them most of the time I just end up bored at how generic and uniteresting the whole thing is. It's like they typed the synopsis of the story and the computer generated the whole scrip. It's just so heartless.

17. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Prime is far better. No contest. Now if it had a great style, it would be perfect. I don't like this semi-deformed style.

18. Brooticus

Brooticus "You bred Raptors?"

News Credits:
    Thank you! For ages now I've been trying to put my finger on what it is about Prime that irks me. I like the show, really I do, but something has always seemed a little off, and here it is, wonderfully articulated before my eyes!

The show is definitely improving though. Not all TV series arrive fully formed, and can take a little while to get comfortable. Star Wars: Clone wars is a good example.

19. HeroicC300

HeroicC300 Chats with Artists

News Credits:
    Prime. I like the vehicles (a key part of a TF show) more, even if they have few characters, there is no repetition, and overall, no autobot has the same class of alternate mode. WJ is a supercar, Prime a Longnose Cab, Ratchet an Emergency Vehicle, Bulkhead a SUT, Bumblebee a Muscle Car, Arcee a Superbike, Knockout a Performance Car, the Vehicons Coupes, Breakdown a SWAT van, Soundwave a UAV, Starscream a cybertronian jet, and megs a cybertronian fighter-bomber.

The episodes are good, and they set things in repetitive environments first so that when they decided to do more vibrant areas, those areas looked good. I do have a few wishes for the series to do in fight scenes (like a freight yard brawl) but in general, it hit the ground running and shapes up to be a good tween+ transformers show while Rescue bots will take over for the kids.

20. Cheem The Rup

Cheem The Rup Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    this :wink: