Prime or Convoy

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Chaos Prime, Dec 23, 2007.

1. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

So I'm reading Beast Wars: The Ascending, and Lio Convoy and Big Convoy are in the story. So here is my question; Is Convoy the Maximal equivalent to the Autobots Prime? Was the title of Prime changed when many Autobots became Maximals?
    And I suppose....technically, wouldn't that mean Primal Prime would be Primal Convoy?
    But you get my drift, right?
    (I do realize that Convoy is the Japanese name for Prime but for Beast Wars purposes I'm asking.)

2. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    I dunno. Maybe it'll stay as primal prime since Vector Prime in japan was still Vector Prime (The japanese one came first though).

Edit: I believe Optimus Primal was also called Convoy.

3. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The major difference there, however, is that Prime was not being used as a leadership title with Vector Prime, the way it is with Optimus Prime or Rodimus Prime, so there was no reason to adapt it as such.

4. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    I know. Just saying.

5. taterx

taterx Lurkin since Transfandom

I don't know. Sounds like a question for the IDW message boards. That or Furmans.

6. KING KONVOY

KING KONVOY Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you believe "Ask Vector Prime" then Vector Prime had the autobot matrix of leadership. Plus, he was one of the original 13 and the guardian of space and time. It’s fair assumption that Vector Prime was once the leader of the autobots. The autobot leader does not have to die to relinquish of the matrix. Optimus Prime was still referred to as Optimus Prime weather with or without the matrix.

7. KING KONVOY

KING KONVOY Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Now back to the original question. Lio Convoy, Big Convoy and Optimus Primal (aka Convoy or Beast Convoy) have lesser matrices of leadership forged by Vector Sigma. I know people like BW haters and some other like to deny it but Optimus Primal, Lio Convoy and Big Convoy were the “Optimus Primes” of the their respective series. Now there are different continuities and most primes differ from G1 Optimus Prime but with every transformers’ series comes some incarnation of Optimus Prime. We can tell from the head sculpt and name. I include the BW convoys into my Optimus Prime/ Primal/Convoy collection. I do exclude the other planet leaders from cybertron and rodimus.

8. DecepticusPrime

DecepticusPrime End of Days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The way I look at it is that when writing the Ascending, the names LioConvoy and Big Convoy are more identifiable to the fandom than Leo Prime or uh...Big Prime? Not withstanding the fact that Leo Prime sounds very lame.

To answer the original question, I dont believe for "beast wars" purposes I think that Primal became the replacement for Prime.

9. Raven Zombie

Raven Zombie Liege Ravnos Muerte

i dont think it has anything to do with the fact that its bot/maxis
    its the difference between america and japan. convoy being what the jap last name/title is for primes.
    Big Convoy and Leo convoy didnt have americanized versions, untill now... and robotmasters. keeping the jap. titles, saves from calling them all Optimus Primal.

Most of the g1s and before, had a first name and prime being the title. then BW changed it, like optimus was the title, and primal was the name. jap beast wars continue using Convoy (prime) as the title.

this calls for a prime/convoy list, i know i will miss some...
    Vector Prime - probably haveing to do with vector sigma, the first prime (prime prime?)
    Alpha prime - first matrix bearer, vector?
    Guardian Prime - second matrix bearer
    Nova Prime - rumored to turn into leige maximo, aka the first nemesis prime
    Sentinel Prime - dont know much about him
    Orion Pax/Optimus Prime/Convoy - get to see an upgrading, main man
    Star Convoy - prime upgrade
    Battle Convoy/Laser Prime - prime upgrade
    Hotrod/Rodimus Prime - first televised matrix passing
    Fire Convoy - Rid/car robots Optimus prime
    Omega Prime - prime upgrade
    Black Convoy/Scourge - not literaly a nemesis prime
    Convoy/Monster Convoy? - Armada Prime
    Jet Convoy = upgrade
    Magna Convoy = upgrade
    Magna Jet Convoy - double upgrade
    Grand Convoy = energon Prime
    Omega Convoy = upgrade
    Wing Convoy = upgrade
    Galaxy Convoy = cybertron Prime
    Liger Convoy = upgrade
    Sonic Convoy = upgrade
    Nitro Convoy = velocitrons prime
    Live Convoy = earth? prime
    Megalo Convoy = gigantian prime
    Flame Convoy = animatros prime
    Optimus Prime/Beast Convoy - BW prime
    Primal Prime - upgrade + g1 spark
    LioConvoy = different bw prime
    Big Convoy - different bw prime
    Great Convoy - greatest prime g1?
    Crow Convoy - another bw prime
    Nemesis Prime - Armada , universe misc. black convoy
    Reverse Convoy - Megs disguised as a Prime

10. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I think the Japanese names were just kept because neither character has an established English name yet. Leo Prime has been used for someone coloured like Lioconvoy, but there's no reason to assume the two would be the same.

Personally, had I to decide on full English names, I'd call them Optimus Leo and either Mammoth Prime or Grand Optimus. Eh, Big Convoy does not translate at all well into an English format. No wonder they stuck with the Japanese names!

11. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Primal Prime - upgrade + g1 spark?

I thought that was Optimal Optimus?

12. DecepticusPrime

DecepticusPrime End of Days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Primal Prime is an entirely unique charecter...in a sense an upgrade of the battle suit Quickstrike used to control Optimal Optimus...and I dont really think that the Vok used G1 Primes spark...they used Matrix energy, really giving Primal Prime his own unique spark.

13. Op_Prime

Op_Prime One With The Matrix TFW2005 Supporter

In the context of US continuity, I see Prime as a title being conferred upon worthy bearers of the Matrix of Leadership/Creation Matrix. In the Botcon stories, Primal Prime did bear the original Matrix for a while, and has thusly earned the right to bear the name Prime.

I'm guessing that in the IDW BW continuity, by the beast era, "convoy" is maximal created title bestowed upon the more celebrated generals in the Maximal army. Since they never held the Matrix of Leadership, and only hold lesser Matrices, they can't hold the title of Prime.

14. AutobotMarine

AutobotMarine Banned

Ebay:
    I perfer Prime, but Convoy sounds good... but at times confusing. One question, has there been an "Optimus Convoy"? That would be awesome.

15. terrordrone

terrordrone Well-Known Member

This is great! its like a list of Roman Catholic Popes and all their dramas and legitimacies :popcorn