Minor/Repaint: Prime & Megatron with LEDs

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Hakka, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Hakka

Hakka Well-Known Member

I rewired Megatron, I disconnected hid LEDs from the Mechalive system and connected them to a switch so they can be on constantly. I also added a blue LED into his cannon. There's a wire running from his cannon, it wasn't long enough to hide it I need to get more wire.

I need to pull him to bits again and paint the inside of his head, some light shows through at the top and the sides.

For prime I added a new circuit so the Mechalive still works. I put a blue led in his head, 3 white leds on each sword with a foil backing sheet, and 2 blue leds in his chest. These are connected to 2 toggle switches, the chest leds can be switched independently from the others.

If the Mechalive is activated while the other leds are on the chest alternates between blue and purple.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hakka.

Attached Files:

• me1.JPG
      me1.JPG
      File size:
      54.9 KB
      Views:
    • me2.JPG
      me2.JPG
      File size:
      55.3 KB
      Views:
    • me3.JPG
      me3.JPG
      File size:
      72.7 KB
      Views:
    • pr1.JPG
      pr1.JPG
      File size:
      53.2 KB
      Views:
    • pr2.JPG
      pr2.JPG
      File size:
      49.2 KB
      Views:
    • pr3.JPG
      pr3.JPG
      File size:
      40.4 KB
      Views:
    • pr4.JPG
      pr4.JPG
      File size:
      37 KB
      Views:
    • mt.JPG
      mt.JPG
      File size:
      79.5 KB
      Views:
  2. yongkykun

yongkykun Well-Known Member

Great job with the LEDs there! But the LEDs on Prime's chest seems a tad bit too bright, for me at least.

BTW, great paint job on Megatron! Looks like you managed to put in all those LEDs after all. Great job man!

3. closetrat

closetrat Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wish there were better pics, but this looks freakin' awesome!!!

4. Hakka

Hakka Well-Known Member

I dont really like the chest leds on prime, thats why they're on a separate switch to the others, I normally just have the eyes and swords on. The blue doesn't come out right in the pics, it looks a lot brighter than it really is.

I got there in the end with Megatron after a lot of swearing. He was 100 times harder to do than prime, but he only has one visible wire on the back of his arm, prime has a few wires running around his back, shoulders and arms but you cant see them from the front.

When I open Megatron up to paint inside the head I might put brighter lights in his chest, the ones i have aren't as bright as the standard ones that burnt out.

I would like to add headlights to prime and maybe do megatrons engines and those things on his upper legs. I tried orange ones inside primes exhaust pipes but it was very hard to see unless you're looking down on him.

I saw a post from another member that used fiber optics to do the small blue lights on primes shoulders just above his windscreen. I'll just run the optics into the back of primes head when I get my hands on some of that.

I've tried every setting on my camera but cant get decent pics that show the lights, any advice would be appreciated.

Hakka.

5. mampy

mampy Movie-Accurate Mampy

News Credits:
    I love the lights on Prime's swords and how they light up the whole blade equally well. Great work with that. :) 

6. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Now that is cool. Great job painting megs

7. Hakka

Hakka Well-Known Member

Just took around 100 photos of Prime trying different lighting methods, this is the best one. His robot part colors don't look right, they are more grey than silver but it shows the lights and he's in focus. If I can remember what I did I'll get a better one of Megatron.

[​IMG]

Hakka.

Attached Files:

8. IF_IR_IE_IE_ID

IF_IR_IE_IE_ID USAF Seeker

Ebay:
    niiiiiiiiiice...

9. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    AWESOME!!!!! The LED's and the paints!

10. soymonk

soymonk Mathematical!

News Credits:
    The LED work in those energon swords really make the Prime figure look even more impressive.

11. Hakka

Hakka Well-Known Member

Here's a better pic of Megatron. I swapped out the chest leds for brighter ones, I also recessed the blue one way back into his cannon, you cant really see it on the pic though. It needs to come forward a bit so it can light up those 4 pointy things on the end of the gun.

[​IMG]

Hakka.