Prime Megatron... What went wrong with the Voyager class one?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by robowarrior, Feb 29, 2012.

1. robowarrior

robowarrior Arcee's BF

News Credits:
    So today I receive in the mail my 1st Entertainment Pack Megs/OP w/ the children. I got to say it's an awesome entertainment pack.

As many of you who own this set, Megs is the highlight of the pack. First off let me just say, WOW! I'm just amazed on how much detail went into the deluxe first edition and how show accurate he is. I mean don't get me wrong, the Voyager is great and all but it's missing that "wow" factor that the deluxe has.

All in all what the hell was Hasbro thinking of when they released the voyager one that we now have? Why couldn't they have at least replicated the deluxe and built in the voyager one?

I'm just impressed on how the deluxe superior's the voyager... "face palm" "SMH"! It should have been the other way around..... :redface2: 

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Toy Industry Analyst

News Credits:
    The Voyager's articulation is my only real problem with it. If it had the same articulation as the FE figure, it'd be awesome.

3. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    I think the Voyager in my opinon looks actually good. The only problems I do have with it is the lack of color and the size which they could have just made his cannon mare scale accurate and made him as tall as the First Edition Voyager Optimus but other then that he's a good representation of the character in Prime. The Voyager does have some things that help him give points over the FE Deluxe. For instance his backpack can be adjusted so it doens't look too glaring in the front and back. He also has some small details on his armor which is a real shame he's colored lie this because silver would've brought it them out really nice. It's my opinon really.

4. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    clear plastic, paint, and cost cutting

5. robowarrior

robowarrior Arcee's BF

News Credits:
    When I look at the head sculpts in both pics I took, surprisingly you can see the differences in how much went into the deluxe versus the voyager.. the deluxe has far superior detail while the voyager they just threw in a blotch of silver paint and call it a day.. IDK... I'm not trying to be picky or anything of that nature but you would think that a voyager would be a far more superior figure than a deluxe.. Let's take Prime first edition for example versus the deluxe..mmmm...

6. ShOcKwAvE1213

ShOcKwAvE1213 THE DARK KNIGHT RISES

IMO I like the voyager head better. It's not shiny like the dleuxe but it has a better head, and that is the best part of a figure.

7. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The thing I dislike the most about the Voyager compared to the Deluxe is the weapon. It looks so separated and oversized. Only thing I like about it is that they managed to include the blade.

8. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Honestly, I'm more than happy with my deluxe Megatron. I wrote a little more about this in Fankwank's pictorial review thread (now with corrected sentence structure hah), but my main worry about getting this over the Voyager had to do with scale, and that doesn't even bother me anymore. Like, it's still noticeable next to my FE voyager Prime because of the hight difference, but it's really only an issue if they're really close.

Plus, the Entertainment pack comes with a small Optimus anyway, so even if you can't wrap your head around your Megs being bigger than your Prime & need em standing right next to each other without any sort of dynamic posing, you can just work the pair.

... In either case, the voyager Megatron is gonna appeal to some people, and its gonna be a pass for others. Personally, I think all of this stuff just suffered from unfavorable timing above all else. :( 

9. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    have you seen the deluxe's head up close? the amount of sculpted and painted detail is incredible, it was one of the main things that sold me on the line, the voyager one's head looks like a dollar store ko in comparison imo

10. Cyclonus79

Cyclonus79 Decepticon General

Ebay:
    I'm a fan of the voyager myself. Had Takara done a voyager the same way they did there deluxe, I'd be happy as all hell. I'll take the RID version an be just fine with it.....for now.

11. Zeno4xx

Zeno4xx Well-Known Member

Both work in there own ways, Voyager goes great(scale/paint) with the rest of em, but that Deluxe Megs looks like it would make a fantastic standalone fig for a desk or elswhere in a display...ok maybe put the deluxe Prime with em too lol.

12. robowarrior

robowarrior Arcee's BF

News Credits:
    This is what blew me away with the deluxe when I first opened him up and looked at it up close... I was like "WOW"...

13. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Well that, and the fact that the deluxe's cannon doesn't look like a giant dick that met the bad side of sorcery...

I'll probably still buy it anyway, but still. That's something I just can't unsee.

14. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's going to be hard to unsee.

15. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Well this is the same old FE vs. RiD discussion. FE for the most part always looks better then the RiD. I would have never even known if the FE was better since I had no interest in the Deluxe sized Megatron.

16. Zeno4xx

Zeno4xx Well-Known Member

Bwahahasnort....uh ahem, I mean yes it is an odd designe choice isn't it.
    I was thinking of modding the plunger,plug,button(?) to stay pressed in to shorten it, maybe a paintjob and it will almost be passable.
    Anyone know if any 3rd party companies are working on a voyager sized cannon?

17. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Actually I just transformed him again out of alt mode. The thing that sucks the most about the Voyager is how floppy his damn joints are and how heavy his gun is. I mean to get him posed to stick his gun out in epic Megatron fashion is way to complicated as the figure falls all over itself. Definitely needs ratcheting joints vs. ball joints.

18. Saberfrost01

Saberfrost01 元ロボ ダイユーシャ

Biggest problem with Voyager?
    The Transformation joint at his waist? Pin running through clear plastic = Accident waiting to happen.
    Some day that joint is going to tear itself apart. (On mine atleast, not sure if that joint will become a common issue as it's far too soon to say.)

19. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Minecraft Addict

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't have the Voyager one, but I don't think it looks bad at all. All I think it needs are to have better paint and to be bigger, so he's better scaled with either Voyager Optimus. Well, I'd also want a different gun, since I don't like how his looks very much, but it's show accurate, so whatever.

20. Cogar

Cogar Follower of the Code

Pretty much my thoughts.

FWIW, I love the RID Voyager Megatron. The only negative to me (not yet mentioned in this thread) is the way the shoulders work. In my book, that is about a 97% score = A.