Prime Mainline (RiD) Vehicon

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Sol Fury, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Anthony Adams

Anthony Adams Well-Known Member

I finally got the Arms Micron version yesterday (It's the ONLY PRID version i can get, this guy STILL has not shown up on amazon.co.uk), so for now, i'll have to stick with just having one that has an oversized (but still nice looking) gun, that will now serve as a shoulder cannon for Breakdown.

The Vehicon's box shows the Arms Micron sitting on his arm pretty much the same way the regular gun does, but i can't figure out how to do it.

I honestly had no idea this guy was so small (about as tall as FE arcee)

But overall, i like him, joints are nice and tight (but not too tight)

2. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

I got my Vehicon today! I've been looking for this guy forever... I am a bit disappointed though. The elbows are really awkward and don't look natural. His head is kinda sunk down into his chest and there doesn't seem to be any way to fix that. His head light/front tire panel I wish could flip all the way around so the lights are facing straight up. I think that would make the legs look better.

On the plus side I do really like that his blaster can be connected to look like it's actually coming out of his arm. It's a bit of a pain to get it on there but looks really nice. He doesn't have much of anything in terms of kibble. Except for the minor leg issue I mentioned already the majority of his vehicle mode actually folds up really nicely into his legs which is the coolest thing I've seen in a transformer EVER.

In vehicle mode the only thing I really don't like is the gun. It has peg holes on both sides but because of the way the gun is molded it only really looks good on the left. I wish there was a second gun that was molded with the peg on the opposite side or that this gun had pegs on both sides so that I could actually get some use out of the second peg hole. There are also clips behind each head light. It looks ok on either side but I prefer the left so the peg isn't sticking out the side. I actually wish there was a center car mount some where because I prefer the car without the gun or with one on both sides.

As I said I am a bit disappointed but I still over all like this toy. Now if only I could get the first edition version. I hope the guns are interchangeable between the two molds because I might mess around with some gun configurations when I have both versions. If not I know the Jet will be sense it's essentially a retool of the same mold.

Oh yeah and mine came with a DVD of "Loose Cannons"

3. Ratchets Hatch

Ratchets Hatch Medic

News Credits:
    I still have this guy in vehicle mode, and already I'm asking myself... why couldn't the other mainline Prime toys be this good?

4. microclone

microclone Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    really like vehicon, the elbows whilst weird allow for some great poses, the transformation is so cool and quick, the car almost vanishes! very clever.

I like the fact its almost as small as the original diacone car robos!

5. Driftx3

Driftx3 lord of all things robot

News Credits:
    I just got my PRID Vehicon yesterday, and I must say, AWESOME!

I hunted for both US release Vehicons for so many months it almost seems like forever. Both Vehicons are incredible, but if you can only get one, get the PRID. The transform on this thing is amazing.

6. aledromo

aledromo Decepticon at the Gate

Just be careful. My vehicon got a windshield crack that went up the roof of the car. His transforming days are over lest he lose a leg.

7. Skeeve

Skeeve Well-Known Member

I got both the 1st edition and RID version of the Vehicon this week. While I'm wowed at the RID's clever leg transformation and lack of kibble, I still think I prefer the 1st edition for its paint aps, arms, and proportions. Both are quality figures, however.

8. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's exactly where I'm at. I love them both, but that FE is the clear winner for me. I already have a stress crack on my Vehicon leg as well.

9. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I've had three RiD Vehicons for some time now and haven't seen a single stress mark anywhere. Each has been transformed at least a dozen times and they're still perfect.
    I recently got the FE version, just to own one. It's not horrible but no where even close to the quality if the mainline figure. It's even rather awkward-looking next to the better version, with it's weird proportions, lack of good arm articulation and screen inaccuracy.

For me, the mainline Vehicon is and will always be the better figure. I really hope, now that they're getting easier to get, that everyone (who wants one) will be able to own this incredible piece.

10. HugeBadWolf

HugeBadWolf XO in charge of radishes

News Credits:
    FYI, RiD version's been spotted in John Lewis, Boots and TRU, happy hunting mate :) 

Cheers,
    Doug

11. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    In Argos too, which is where I got my Vehicon a few weeks ago. I knew keep asking them for views would eventually pay off.

12. strangeguy32000

strangeguy32000 Well-Known Member

Transformers Prime Robots In Disguise Deluxe Vehicon

These guys might be Shortpacked Troopbuilding Cannonfodder, but dammit, they are well-engineered Shortpacked Troopbuilding Cannonfodder. As Car-based Transformers, you would expect they'd have significant amounts of Vehicle Mode Kibble exposed on their alt modes, Not with Vehicons. Most of their Alt mode folds up neatly into their legs in what is quite possibly the most mind-bogglingly simple series of folding panels into each other. Really the only bit of Vehicle Mode Kibble you see on the Vehicons are their Front and Rear fenders which remain untransformed on their Knees and Shoulders. Another cool thing about the Vehicons are their blaster Accessories. Most Humanoid Transformers Are forced to grip weapons in their hands or peg them in some strategically convenient positions. Not usually both. Vehicons can hold their blasters as if they're part of their own arms by snapping the gun onto their wrist, as well as hold them in their hands like a normal firearm. Its an ingenious design, and I wish more transformers had that option. (Some of the Powerizer Voyagers could use that very thing) Absolutely love the Prime Vehicons, its kind of annoying that they were initially shortpacked, but more recent waves of Transformers Prime toys are including Vehicons in place of the slow-selling "Kid-Appeal" character Bumblebee (Quotes used here because my kid brother plays with his Rescue Bots Chase figure more than his lone Bumblebee) I give the Transformers Prime Robots in Disguise Deluxe Vehicon figure an 8.7/10

13. Philister

Philister Teutonicons Rising!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]
    For more pics, click on the image above

Prelude: I considered just skipping this review, because let's face it: is there any Transformers fan left who doesn't yet know that the Transformers Prime RID Vehicons are among the most awesome Transformers figures ever created? But then I thought, I'm just thinking of today. When some young TF fan is looking to buy some vintage TF toys ten years or so from now, he might appreciate a review to tell him about this old figure here. So for the sake of this review, let's assume we're in the far-flung future of the 2020s or such, the Prime TV series is long history, Michael Bay has stated that "Transformers VI – Return of the Primes" will definitely be his last Transformers movie, and Utopia has arrived. Now let's look back at one of the TF toys from way back in 2012.

Robot Mode: Hard to imagine from today's standpoint, but back in 2012 it was a very big deal to see a robot mode where pretty much all the parts of the vehicle mode just vanished with barely a trace. Vehicon has wheels on his shoulders and lower legs, but that's pretty much all you see of his vehicle shell. Everything else folds together into his legs and vanishes from sight. This design also allowed the figure to easily be adapted with a new vehicle shell as Jet Vehicon.

Articulation is not a problem for this excellent robot, either. The elbow joints are a tad strangely designed and take a moment to get used to, but he has no problems moving with the best of them. Look-wise there is nothing to complain here, either. Vehicon is supposed to be a generic bad guy and easily looks the part with his featureless face and dark Decepticon colors. Very nicely designed and executed.

Finally Vehicon carries a black blaster weapon that he can clip to his forearm (simulating the TV series' gimmick of the characters transforming their arms into weapons) or his shoulder. Sadly he only has one weapon, while the TV characters could transform both arms, but he can easily adapt the weapon from a second Vehicon. So bottom line, an all-around great robot mode with no weaknesses whatsoever. Two thumbs up.

Alternate Mode: The Vehicon transforms into a black car of the type that you just know is driven either by bad guys or Batman (currently starring in “Dark Knight Forever” and “Justice Leage III: Apokolips Now!”). It’s black, it’s sleek, it has edges, and it just looks dangerous. Not the kind of vehicle you'd see in normal traffic, but still a very good cover for a robot in disguise, as there are no visible robot parts or anything else that might make you suspect that it's anything but a car.

Not much else to write here. Vehicon can attach his weapon to the left side of the car for added firepower. A second weapon can be put on the right side, too, but the weapon is upside down here, meaning you can see the hollow inside. Best to leave the car with just one gun. Bottom line: a very good, no-nonsense vehicle mode.

Remarks: Ah, yes, 2012 was a strange year. People thought the world would end because the Mayas were too lazy to continue their calendar and a black president was re-elected in the US. Apple was at the top of its game selling overpriced funky-looking stuff, and Transformers Prime was the then-current Transformers TV series. 2012 was also the year, though, that brought us one of the greatest Transformes Deluxe-sized figures ever, the Prime RID Vehicon.

Depicting the expendable Decepticon soldiers from the Prime TV series, the Vehicon wasn’t that easy to get despite being earmarked for army builders. Remember, though, this was back in 2012 when Hasbro was putting out their TF toys at ratios of three Bumblebees per any other character (until the infamous yellow plastic crisis of 2014, but that’s another story). Anyway, a lot of people had a rough time getting this figure at first, but it was more than worth the wait.

The Vehicon is, simply put, one of the best Deluxe-class Transformers figures ever. Great robot mode, cool-looking vehicle mode without any visible robot parts, and no flaws at all. That’s really all there is to it. So if you’re looking to stock up on any vintage Prime figures, the Vehicon should really top your list.

Rating: A

14. closetrat

closetrat Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My username is closetrat & I support this message.

15. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

Recently scored a Vehicon myself and I love the fig. But for the life of me I can't figure out how to clip his gun on for the arm mounted mode. I see the indentions where I assume it goes, and the clip on the bottom of the gun, but it seems the two are incompatible. The indentions seem to be futher apart in-between than the clip. Haven't tried to force it or anything out of fear of breaking the gun or causing a stress mark in the gun or the fig's arm.

16. Philister

Philister Teutonicons Rising!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It takes quite a bit of force to put the gun on the arm, but it works. Have clipped it on and off several times now and so far no stress marks on any of my three Vehicons.

17. jametron

jametron Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE! Taste Kittens…

News Credits:
    jametron and thirded.

Yep. Everytime I put one on I feel the same way... "They do NOT fit together!" then as I'm thinkng that, CLICK! it's on, good and solid.

18. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

Tried it again, and just as you guys said, it pops right on with just a little bit of force. Looks good!

19. closetrat

closetrat Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Same here.

20. kylash327

kylash327 ThePlasticGeek

News Credits:
    anyone figured out how to get the gun attached the way it is in the photo on the back of the card? Maybe the prototype was just different, but I cant see how it works.