Prime is dull....

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Dinobot Snarl, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

In "loose cannons", there were two instances of small talk that let on a bit of the characters more private personality. Megatron casual conversation with Soundwave indicated a sort of camaraderie or private understanding, but Prime's conversation with Wheel Jack aboard the Star Hammer showed that Prime is really still the archivist, he is dull because he's basically a librarian with high sense of morality; given incredible strength and wisdom through the matrix.

He probably didn't socialize much in his previous position. Which ultimately showed itself when he asked wheel jack about "going it alone." (The awkwardness since Prime doesn't know how to relate was telling). If Prime becomes more charismatic it will be a major change in his character.

This is in response to all the "Prime is dull complaints" I think the dull part is an important part of his character.

2. Flashdisk

Flashdisk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Prime needs to be put into more awkward situations to see how he adapts. He needs more situations where his leadership can be tested because he's not only supposed to prove his prowess in leadership to the autobots but to the viewers of the episodes as well.

3. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    He's a little like Bronze Age Superman (who I like). Personality on the dull side, seen by others as a Boy Scout, self-aware enough to feel his separateness but too dedicated to his higher purpose to give in to loneliness.

4. Thinktank

Thinktank Well-Known Member

In the unified continuity Optimus is pretty much what the OP said.
    A bookish type clad in a beefed up physiology and has the wisdom of the
    ancients riding shotgun. Also he has a massive amount of personal
    experience by the time the cartoon is happening. He shows the signs of
    emotional fatigue and the scars of being in command of soldiers
    (who sometimes die) for a very long time.

This is also on the mark:

5. megapork

megapork Cheese

Boom. Thread has been won by words of wisdom.

6. Moonlight1102

Moonlight1102 Banned

7. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    I think a lot of people really got used to TF Animated Optimus or Beast Wars Optimus Primal, who broke a lot of grounds as Autobot Commanders. It's not like Unicron Trilogy Optimus Prime or G1 Prime had that much of a personality. I'd say G1 Prime is most similar to the classic Superman archetype though, much more so than TFP Prime.

8. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This past episode was the first one I watched in a while and man the cast is boring. This show desperately needs new blood.

9. TheosPrime

TheosPrime Complete Amateur

Ebay:
    Could it also be, I wonder, that the show really doesn't focus on him all that much, too?

10. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    Prime has a few nice personality traits I really enjoy. Best summed up as "Primes don't party." His lack of personality is his personality, because I suspect a good deal of it is something he puts on, through nessecity. I quite like that that the show doesn't really go into it (preferring to build on less obvious characters), although I wish the Aligned Continuity games set on Cybertron went into that more often, but he seems to have matured early in that (sub?)continuity.

11. Walktehdinosaur

Walktehdinosaur HI! MY NAME IS [Volleybot]

News Credits:
    I have to admit that scene on the jackhammer was quite cute especially when hes tapping his fingers. dawww..

12. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    We've never seen Optimus' personal quarters at the base, have we? Maybe there could be a scene in there and there's something mounted on the wall to give us a little insight into him. An antique rifle. A model of the G1 Ark. A holograph of a mystery fembot. Or he could have a golfing trophy.
    Perhaps he's got a whole wall mounted with faces he and his movie buddy took. :p 

I remember when we saw Cheetor's quarters in Beast Wars. That was nice, with his little framed photo of him with Optimus.

13. blackTtop

blackTtop No this is not Patrick...

I would pay good money to see Optimus Prime golf. :lol 

I think it would be nice to see what he does in his spare time as well, when he's not leading. Ratchet does science stuff, and the other three have their kid to goof off with. What does Optimus do, just stare at the wall?

14. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    The idea that "oh Prime is supposed to be dull so it's okay" is flawed. The show is supposed to be entertainment, and because a character is dull to others doesn't mean they shoud be dull to the audience. Even bookish nerds should have a personality. Optimus has none. He's boring, his spreech is flat and emotionless and his dialogue is just canned TV wisdom. Optmus tapping his hands because he's uncomfortably should not be the emotional highlight of his entire run on the show.

Him being a librarian is no excuse for being emotionally vacant and boring. People make up baseless justifications like "it's put on" or something, but the fact is it is not. He was just as boring and emotionless when he was Orion Pax, and that was supposed to be his younger, emotionally unchecked self. He's just a poorly written, poorly directed character. They don't know how to portray Optimus, and this blank, characterless approximation is the creators' best attempt.

15. Deltus

Deltus 異種

I think Preceptor has more personality than Optimus Prime.

16. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Yeah, I agree there.
    I see him like that, too.

17. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Soundwave has more personality than Prime. At least he has subtle body language, the selective recording aspect and his always watching nature.

18. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I don't know.
    Optimus kicks way too much ass for me to consider him 'dull'.

19. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    His demeanour is dull, not his actions. Judging soley by his actions he's the best character in the show. Always solving problems, always pulling daring heroics. But his voice is so monotone, his face is so ridiculous when it tries to emote, his body language is, well, positively robotic. His is completely unimpressive to watch.

20. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

Probably. He's the type to sit by himself and be absorbed into his thoughts. Perhaps he visits Cliffjumper's grave now and then, just to talk with his departed soldier. Maybe a trip to Skyquake's grave to pay tribute to an honourable and worthy adversary. He could park by a roadside and watch life pass by.

I'd imagine he might just sit down on the top of the base and just.... observe the night sky, watching the Universe above him. Peaceful things, relaxing.

It's quite a soothing thought, really.