Prime in G1, what was with him in The Return of Optimus Prime?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Sky Shark, Jun 26, 2006.

1. Sky Shark

Sky Shark Well-Known Member

Okay, recently I watched Dark Awakening then watched the Return of Optimus Prime. At the end of Dark Awakening, Optimus Prime trashed, missing part of his left side, no left arm, big crack in his chest, his left eye was down to the socket. Now in the Return of Optimus Prime part one when he's in a ship, that actually looks diffrent from the other one in Dark Awakening he is perfectly fine, everything is there, the left arm his chest plating and his eye covering. So what's the deal with that, was the other a copy or was this one a copy or was it just plain overlooking of that episode by the maker of the two part Return of Optimus Prime?

Personally I think that the one in the Return of Optimus Prime is a copy seeing as the one in Dark Awakening inital damaged parts were the same as they were in the Movie.

2. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    "Return of Optimus Prime Part 1" is actually supposed to take place right before Prime's body goes kaboom with the starship at the end of "Dark Awakening".

In the real world, "Dark Awakening" was written and put in to production before they decided to bring Optimus Prime back in "The Return of Optimus Prime", so they had to come up with something. So, the best conclusion you can make, is that the end of "Dark Awakening" is just what the Autobots thought happened to Optimus Prime when, in reality, a human starship rescued him at the last second.

3. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Lack of communication between animation studios plus the general rush of production of the episode.

My theory is that Dark Awakening was supposed to be the FINAL appearence(sp) of Optimus Prime.Proof of my theory is in how there's the original ending WITHOUT the dialogue signifying his return and the 2nd ending WITH the dialogue

In terms of lack of communication it's as you said.Prime was heavily damaged.So that's why I say lack of communication.

I feel that if there was proper communication.Instead of Swaford and Morgan repairing Prime's body which was already whole.They'd be fixing up his damaged body & it'd be that repaired body Rodimus would've rescued :) 

4. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I believe Prime's ship had a Teletran-like computer.''Repair! Repair!" Too bad Prime's spark had already left for the Matrix

5. Sky Shark

It must be a combonation of what Kickback said and what Backscatter said, because Optimus Prime lost his left arm during the fight with Hot Rod. I never knew there were two versions to that episode's ending. The DVD only has the one with the voice at the end. Since I'm only 16 I never saw it when it first aired. I also never knew there were two animation studios for the show. Thanks for pointing that out Shaun_C.

6. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Seriously.

"Dark Awakening" is in the beginning parts of Season three. "The Return of Optimus Prime" was at the very end of Season three.

Have you ever wondered why the first half of Season three looked like crap, and "Return of Optimus Prime" actually looked like the old G1 stuff?

The reason is because TOEI was dropped after the movie, and I believe DIK was the replacement animation studio, who really crapped up Season 3 (kind of like the beginning of Armada). That, and even while the movie was being animated, DIK was working on Season 3 episodes.

When the movie aired and the backlash hit about Prime being dead, and the franchise plummeted in ratings and toy sales, Optimus Prime was the agreement Hasbro thought would bring the fans back.

So they brought in TOEI, animated "The Return of Optimus Prime" as quick as they could, re-aired Season 3 but with a different ending in "Dark Awakening" to start with the promotions for the Return of Optimus Prime, and walla.

There's no "miscommunication" between DIK and Hasbro. There's no "sloppiness" with the writers. "The Return of Optimus Prime" was an absolute last second decision at the tail end of Season 3, after such pivotal plots like "Dark Awakening" had already been written and were in production stages.

I don't want to sound like a total jerk, but having been told this by the G1 writers at the conventions over the past few years, and the former Hasbro design team mentioning this at Botcon 2004, I am more or less right.

Don't take kindly to "theories" when the truth is right in front of ya.

7. Shaun_C

No prob

It's obvious when you look at the change in the art style.Usually it's not that obvious,but with season 3 you can DEFINITELY tell when they use a different animation studio

And what Backscatter says about Prime's spark isn't true.Mostly because the concept of a spark only became mainstream AFTER Beast Wars and Beast Machines.Before that they only had lasercores

8. Shaun_C

Well I've never met a G1 writer and I wasn't at BotCon 2004 so that's ALL news to me Kickback.And I never knew a G1 writer told you that.

If I knew all that I wouldn't have said what I said :) 

Sorry if I irked you bro :) 

9. The Madness

The Madness News Credits: -13

I always thought it was (Blamed it on) Akom?

10. Sky Shark

It actually never occured to me that that's why the art and animation was diffrent during the first part of season3. It did always seem wierd to me that Optimus looked diffrent in Dark Awakening compared to the other episodes. Thanks for telling about that. I guess this topic doesn't have much disscussion value anymore.

11. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

Kickback, thanks for the ifo. However, I for one don't care about boring mundane truth when talking about a work of fiction. I've always tried to explain away animation oversghts and errors with "theories". ;)  It's more fun. You're into Transformers for fun, aren't you?:D 

12. Draco Prime

Draco Prime Autobot

Didnt the Transformers have self-repair systems. Since Optimus Prime was brought back by the Quintessons to destroy the transformers in a evil plan, wouldnt Primes Self-repair systems come online for that small time he was back online, then right before the ship he was on went boom, couldnt a escape pod eject from the control room, then over time Optimus could have been repaired, and like the ARK - the escape pod could have had a repair device built in that repaired the major parts like his arm and other problems,

13. omega knight

omega knight Chibi lancelot launch

News Credits:
    i need a link to see this Return of optimus prime

14. C. Wallace

C. Wallace Freelance Artist

The man speaks the truth...Huzzah!

15. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    rock on truth teller!

16. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Well, the animation per se in TRoOP isn't that outstanding either. I mean, in part 1 the Transformer "morph" rather than actually transforming, and in part 2 transformations occur offscreen or are hidden behind objects in the foreground.

And let's not forget Kup driving backwards...

17. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    or soundwave turning his head while his mouth plate stays in place.

18. Rusti

Rusti New Member

:dj  :duel  this is all special in regards to The Truth about Animation Companies and their Mistakes"
    But allow me to tell it to you in a sensible story-fashion:

In the episode "Forever is a Long Time Coming" The Quintessons open a time window that ends up damaged and least 'chrono-energy'. this leakage causes all kinds of trouble from reducing Captain Marissa Fairborn to a child, to splitting the timelines so that Superion is in two places at the same time.

Now, energy cannot be destroyed; only dispursed. Such dispursion means that many events, places and people continued to be affected by the time storm long after the window was closed. This means that the destruction of the Autobot ship Optimus Prime was an actual event-yes, it happened. But the time storm redirected the event so that the ship was not destroyed, so that Optimus Prime had not gone through the fight with Rodimus, so that the twin stars did not blow to kingdom-come. Obviously not all conditions were reversed-Prime was still in the ship. But the nature of the time storm is like tossing a bucket of paint-you don't know where it's going to hit and not all areas will be covered.

So there's your answer:D 

19. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The altered Dark Awakening aired on my birthday :p