Prime FE Figures vs RID counterparts?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by OhMyGosh, Apr 3, 2012.

1. OhMyGosh

OhMyGosh Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    First off, I've only found one thread like this, and it didn't really have all the info I wanted, so please don't hate if these have popped up a million time and somehow I've just missed them all.

I'm going shopping for RID figures tomorrow, I'd love to hear any opinions on what is and isn't worth picking up. Also, is it worth paying the crazy amounts people are asking for FE: Megatron, Voyager Prime, Bulky and Starscream? Or are RID not much different for some of them.

So far, RID Soundwave looks pretty good, I think I'll be getting one of him. But all the others, I just don't know enough about. So any help would be much appreciated! Thanks :D 

2. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Honestly, the one RID version that I could really even place on the same level as the FE one is Arcee & possibly Cliffjumper & Vehicon. Wheeljack, Soundwave, Knockout & Ratchet don't have an FE counterpart so they win by default (all of which I think are good toys regardless), but Optimus (both the voyager & deluxe), Bulkhead, Megatron, Bumblebee & Starscream pretty much win their matches against the RID stuff before even stepping into the ring.

In all fairness though, the new Bulkhead & Starscream aren't out yet, and the best thing for anyone to do would be to look at lots of pics & videos for the sake of forming their own opinion. For example, just because I like something better than another, it doesn't mean you will, especially if you're gonna take my opinion for universal law & not even explore shit on your own. In either case, taking cost into account should happen as well, especially if you're on a limited budget where certain things won't be an option for you, regardless of how much you like em.

Edit - I could post a tier list or something if you wanted (where the original coloured deluxe Starscream would be on top of all others), but again, that'd just be the view of one person.

3. OhMyGosh

News Credits:
    Go for it! I'm trying to see what as many people think before I go out and buy these things. In the end, it's my choice, but seeing or hearing about the pros and cons of each figure sure doesn't hurt! :D 

4. Billzilla

Billzilla Skeptic

News Credits:
    I pretty much echo these thoughts. Personally I think all the FE figures are better, but nobody knows for sure about Screamer, Bulkhead or Vehicon. Vehicon I see positives either way, the others probably won't change.

5. kurttkrueger

kurttkrueger Well-Known Member

I managed to get hold of FE Bumblebee and FE Takara Cliffjumper on Sunday.

I have FE Bee standing next to RID Bee, and he is FAR superior to his RID incarnation. I don't have a RID Cliff to compare the FE too, but the black plastic over the light grey looks far better IMO, and I think the whole figure as a whole is superior.

I also have RID Wheeljack and Soundwave, and both figures hold their own when compared to the FE's, with Wheeljack in particular having a delightfully complex transformation.

6. Joalro

Joalro Well-Known Member

I have pretty much ALL the first editions (except deluxe megs and optimus), and honestly the only ones that I am very happy I have are Bumblebee and Bulkhead. FE Optimus is sweet, absolutely, and definitely better that Prid. But in my opinion, Prid Optimus is still just fine and if I couldn't have gotten FE, I would have been completely satisfied with Prid. I know other people are going to lynch me for this, but I personally wouldn't pay the extra for FE Optimus. I'm just lucky I got him local.

Starscream is again nice, but personally i'm all about bigger transformers. I really like voyagers, some reason. On top of that, Starscream's vehicular mode suffers terribly in my opinion. If you hold the plane mode so that you cover his legs, it looks pretty nice. But for me those legs ruin it. It's half the vehicle, so it's hard to ignore. I'm really hoping for a nice voyager and then he will replace my deluxe on the shelf.

Arcee actually seems improved by the Prid, but FE is good enough that I'm not going to trade. But if I had the choice from the beginning, I probably would have gone Prid.

I think I like FE cliffjumper quite a bit more than Prid, personally, but this is a case where I don't like him SO much more than i would pay extra.

Now it comes to bumblebee and bulkhead. FE bumblebee is REALLY nice in my opinion, while i personally HATE the Prid version. This is all opinion, obviously, but this is where Prid really lost. FE Bumblebee is a really fun figure who i love to pose in his boxing position. As for Bulkhead, he is an absolute marvel of engineering that has NOT been reproduced in the Prid version as far as pictures go. Granted, Prid looks better that he could have, but if you have any extra cash lying around, I'd go for FE bulkhead over the alternative.

7. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I have all the mainline figures out so far, and I can't say that any of them are bad figures. At all.

That said, I may be looking to get a Takara First Edition Bumblebee for his size in comparison to Arcee. And possibly First Edition Optimus for his overall look, even though the mainline figure is great on its own and displays better alongside Megatron.

Or maybe I'll just stick with the mainline. I'm far from disappointed by these.

8. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

I keep being told that RID CJ is more accurate than FE, but blasters vs. random club weapon aside, his proportions and colors look a LOT better to me. The black and red works much better.

Prime... FE just looks near perfect. RiD... doesn't. His gun is a mess, his paint is pathetic (why is there no red paint on his chest?!?), and he has less of a heroic build. Though I do agree with the earlier poster, it's more that he's competing with a near perfect representation of the character.

9. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    IMO, the only FE figure you need in your collection is Prime. While the FE versions of the other figures are a bit better (Arcee, BB, CJ), it may be easier and more economical for you to focus on the RID figures. The RID versions aren't bad figures at all and would go great in anyone's collection.

10. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The only First Edition figures worth the hype are Optimus Prime and Bulkhead. Especially if you can get them for a decent price and not ridiculous crap like $70+. Starscream is good too but he's hard to compare.

11. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I went FE for everyone but Arcee and Vehicon. Their PRID versions look better to me.

12. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Somebody at Hasbro is in love with Wheeljack. Because he is the only character in recent memory who has received paint apps everywhere he should have them. Both in PRiD and in the recent Generations Deluxe. Is Wheeljack the only PRiD car with painted rims? I think so. Even his swords are painted, and they aren't made of that stupid bendy-plastic. He also has a pretty interesting transformation and probably my favorite vehicle mode of the Prime toys so far.

Unfortunately, that said, I really don't like the toy that much. The robot mode is kind of a hunchback with a huge gaping cave inside his chest/torso. I just don't like him.

_______

Soundwave, on the other hand, might be one of the most perfect Transformers I have ever seen, I think. Especially for a Deluxe. They really captured the character well, and the transformation is good without being overly crazy. Sometimes you want a transformation where you don't have to wonder if you are correctly interpreting what the instruction pictures are supposed to be telling you, and you never have to think, "Fuck, am I about to snap something off here?" The toy looks great, great vehicle mode, and Laserbeak is the icing on the cake. Best toy of the line, imo.

________

Ratchet I bought in a moment of weakness even though I had planned not to, because he's my favorite character on the show. This purchase, I regret. I don't like the figure at all, other than the way he can hold his scalpels in robot mode. But the toy itself, I think is a loser. The robot mode is okay but not great, and the transformation is not fun or satisfying at all, imo. And the ambulance mode I think looks kind of horrible, combined with the fact I really don't like the way it pegs together. If I could go back in time, I would have left this one on the peg.

________

Voyager Megatron is okay as a Voyager-sized action figure, except the way the shoulders work prevents a lot of what he should be able to do, and no waist swivel limits the dynamic poses you can put him in. His alt mode sucks, but most of that is the fault of the show's character's alt mode sucking. The transformation isn't great, nor is it fun, and the shoulders are a real potential problem. The way they are connected to the body by these long, thin plastic stems feels so flimsy and seem like they'd be very easy to accidentally snap.

I think the Cyberverse Commander Megatron does the robot mode better, and the FE Deluxe does the transformation and alt mode better. The FE Deluxe also has a MUCH better deco and look overall. The FE Deluxe also has a better-sculpted head. The Voyager loses in everything except size. That said, I have seen people paint theirs themselves, which improves the Voyager's looks one million percent. But straight out of the box? Not great.

________

With Arcee, both versions have their points. The PRiD has a better face. But I hate the giant hinges on the side of the bike, that connect the wings in robot mode. Giant, obtrusive hinges like that are what kept me from ever buying Animated Ratchet, even though he was the character from that show that I'd most like to have had a toy of.

Also, I LOVE the way the back wheel splits and stores on the FE Arcee. And I HATE how the back wheel splits and stores on the PRiD. Not only do you get ugly, hollow tires on both legs, but the designers stupidly put the hollow side facing the outside of the leg, making them even more noticeable than they need to be. This is dumb on the level of putting the giant screws on the FRONT of PRiD Optimus' shoulders, rather than the back, where they would be less noticeable. You just want to slap somebody.

PRiD Arcee has the benefit of having blue forearms and less obtrusive handlebars in robot mode. It's also smaller to put it slightly more in scale with the other figures. But everything else about the FE more than makes up for those things, imo. PRiD also has the much more obtrusive back end of the bike sticking from between her legs in robot mode.

13. tfprime32

tfprime32 Banned

News Credits:
    BUMBLEBEE:
    FE LOTS OF JOINTS GREAT PAINT APPS BIGGER GUN(X1)
    RID-barely moveves lets joints(x2) guns its cool

i love the First edition bb way better!

but if you have to chose which one i say the 1st edition cause a. comes with a stand B. its more screen accurate.

14. OhMyGosh

News Credits:
    Update! Got Wheeljack and Soundwave today, love em both! Probably going to get FE Bee and FE Arcee too, perhaps FE SS... not sure he's worth the $53 I'm going to have to fork out (incl posting) in $NZD

15. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I'm going with FE Bee as well. Arcee not so much. FE Arcee may be a better toy to some people, but RiD Arcee works better with the Autobot group in my eyes.

Starscream... I'm willing to wait and see the Voyager on him. I'm not entirely taken by the FE Deluxe.

16. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I'd be fine with mainline Arcee if they'd done the rear wheel split like the FE. I think that would have been enough for me to settle for it. If they had, I think I could even put up with the giant wing hinges. But both those things together make me want to pass on it.

17. Stygian360

Stygian360 Well-Known Member

As display pieces and/ purely for their aesthetic appeal I would say the FE's are head and shoulders above RID; however, as something you can handle, transform back/forth multiple times as the fun puzzle they original represented, and as fun desk top display pieces I have to go with the RID designs. Moreover, the only design that is markedly weaker than the FE version is RID BB, while the rest are (in many ways) at least more accurate to the show model and even in some respects represent a more challenging engineering feat.

If I had to take one set to a deserted island though- for my money- I've gotta go with RID. Again, FE's are really nice and fun to look at on a shelf, but they aren't fun to handle and (pardon the pun) toy around with.

18. Megatron276

Megatron276 destroyer

I hate the fe line. I sold the ones i had. Cj s chest just sucks. I know its the real one but it looks out of porportion. Arcee is crap. Bb is way to werid lookin. Scream is cool but voyager looks awsome. Prime is cool but us not. Master peice. Bulkhead is awsome the best out of all of them. Paint apps arnt a prob im a hell if a customizer. But the prices just kill it. 50$ for deluxes 160$ for voyagers... Fuck that rid is awsome megatron arcee and cliff is my fav so far

19. Prime Jetscream

Prime Jetscream The Ultimate Golden Gamer

News Credits:
    This, but with "Optimus" switched with "Bulkhead". :p