Prime Fan Watches Transformers: Generation One

Discussion in 'Transformers Earthspark and Cartoon Discussion' started by Pax Cybertronia, Dec 24, 2017.

1. Pax Cybertronia

Pax Cybertronia Well-Known Member

Ah, God; reading it back, I probably should have worded that differently. Then again, I want to see an Autobot Starscream backstab Optimus Prime and see if he's any better than Megatron in that regard.

When you put it like that, it makes more sense. On that note, I'm now interested in seeing if Perceptor can have his own small cadre of Autobots. I know that won't happen in this series because Blaster's the Autobot Soundwave, I mean something as more of a fan idea.

2. Altered Prime

Altered Prime Well-Known Member

It’s not a bad idea but what will they transform into?

3. Pax Cybertronia

Well, they don't have to exactly be like Blaster's Recordicons, I guess. I'd imagine Perceptor's Autobots would transform into apparatus you'd normally find in a laboratory, like having an Autobot transform into a Bunsen burner, for example; I'd imagine that Autobot would probably also have a bit of a temper on him. There could also be a duo of Rumble/Frenzy-sized Autobots who transform into test tubes; they'd be quite mischievous though respectful of Perceptor. You could also have another Autobot who transformed into binoculars/a telescope and helped Perceptor in locating the Decepticons and finding out new and interesting things for him to delve into on planet Earth/anywhere in the galaxy.

4. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You know, there actually was a robot toy that turned into a pair of binoculars in the Micro Change line (the same line Perceptor came from). You can see a picture of it on the Micro Change tfwiki page. So we were closer to having a binoculars-Autobot than you might think!

5. Pax Cybertronia

Ah, that's neat! I probably would name him something along the lines of "Ocular" or "Look-Out".

• Like Like x 1
  6. Altered Prime

I can see that

• Like Like x 1
  7. Altered Prime

I remember seeing the binoculars in small variety stores in Chinatown when I was a kid and in other areas of New York City but I never saw that flashlight pretty damn cool

Thumbs up to you for finding it

• Like Like x 1
  8. Pax Cybertronia

THE MASTER BUILDERS

So, this episode focuses on Hoist, Grapple and the Constructicons constructing a solar tower after Optimus denied it because of a lack of safety (the tower wore more than likely be attacked by the Decepticons) - oh, and the Constructicons turn out to be spying for Megatron, who wants to use their solar tower to gain more energy for the Decepticons. One thing I have to wonder is, how the hell do the Decepticons just so happen to have CCTV cameras everywhere? Do they just slot the cameras into random rocks and throw them wherever just in case they find something that's interesting to them? And that brings up the question of whether or not the Autobots do it too. Anyway, I liked the concept of this episode - a giant solar tower would be immensely helpful in procuring energon for the Auatobots, it's just a shame that it would more than likely be captured by the Decepticons, which would mean that the tower would either have to be destroyed or re-captured, meaning that it would only be damaged in the process. Also, I can't not (sorry for the double negative!) talk about the Autobots playing basketball with Spike: it's one of the most random, albeit funniest, shit I've seen in Transformers, and I mean that it's great. When I first watched this series, I never would've expected Optimus to be seen dribbling basketballs and spinning them on his digits.

As for animation errors, I noticed that when Grapple picks up the ruined model at the end of the episode, one of its solar panels is grey instead of gold - then again, it was probably damaged - and Skywarp's under-wing insignia is missing in the opening sequence when he attacks Powerglide. I do like Hoist and Grapple as characters; they're very interesting Autobots - two friends who want to build impressive structures with their names attached to it; one of them is an artist will be "de-pressed!" if their model isn't accepted by the Autobots - and they mesh well with the Constructicons. Also, I noticed that the Autobots installed lasers into their headlights after being rendered in vehicle mode by the Decepticons in The Autobot Run; I think they'll probably use this in another episode because it's really handy, especially when fighting the Decepticons whilst being trapped in vehicle mode. We're also introduced to Smokescreen, who I hope we'll learn more about later on. So, to summarize, I liked this episode and thought it was very interesting, especially in regards to Hoist and Grapple's personalities.

So, up next is Auto Berserk!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  9. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

Hehehehehehe....The wonders of not having been raised with 80s cartoons :D 

In every self respecting 80s scifi cartoon that had any sort of communication or spy apparatus the feedback was omni directional and provided both visual and audio from every convinient angle. Its a trope of the era :D 

• Like Like x 1
  10. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

Hahah. Reminds me of this "Enhance" video.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Pax Cybertronia

AUTO BERSERK

So, this episode focuses on the unexpected alliance of two star-crossed Transformers: the treasonous and egotistical Starscream and the paranoiac Red Alert, whose logic chips were fried after the Negavator's testing and a skirmish with the Decepticons. I've been interested by Red Alert: a paranoid security director is ripe for a lot of story-telling, especially where he's suspicious of an Autobot and is convinced that they'll betray them; not to the extent of this episode, however, as it'd probably be found out to be untrue after a Decepticon attack. Megatron could also manipulate Red Alert into doing exactly what his plan of the day desires by making him suspicious of his fellow Autobots. Anyway, Starscream really does show his intelligence and cunning here: after being abandoned by Megatron and the rest of his goons, he manipulates Red Alert into joining forces with him so that he can take the Negavator tank for his own. Thinking about it, an episode where Optimus' logic chips are fried in the same manner as Red Alert's wound be interesting. It gives me memories to when I watched Transformers: Prime years ago; he'd be convinced that he's friends with Megatron or Starscream or something along those lines, just like Optimus was convinced that he was Orion Pax for the beginning of Season Two. The writers also really emphasise his friendship with Inferno here; it's quite clear that, like Hoist and Grapple, the two here are friends with one another - to the point where a mentally-addled Red Alert is enraged when he believes Inferno betrayed him.

As for animation errors, I noticed that the interior of the Decepticons' base was coloured to resemble the Ark's interior when he scolded Soundwave and the rest of the Decepticons for their failure, Ironhide's right arm clips through Prime's left arm when he walks past him with the intention of rescuing Red Alert at the end of the episode, and I also noticed that the end of the episode had Red Alert's mouth movements continue until the fade-out, almost as if he's saying something else. I know Red Alert was the main focus of this episode, but Starscream really did shine here. Some episodes portray Starscream to be more cowardly than he is (MTMTE Part III is the first one off the top of my head IIRC), but here he showed his intelligence and cunning, manipulating Red Alert into getting him to the Negavator tank and discarding him when Megatron found out his scheme. As for Red Alert, like I said before, I'm interested in his characterisation, though I wonder if we'll get an episode that showcases a less paranoid Red Alert. Finally, I did like how the writers emphasised Inferno's characterisation, specifically his friendship with Red Alert; they make him out to be a passionate yet friendly warrior who's best friends with, and he really loves to fight the Decepticons.

12. pilot00

This is one of those eps that shore up a very good narrative that is....completely been forgotten afterwards. Another 80s trope since most series of the time had self contained episodes writtem by different writters.
    The dynamic between Red and Inferno is the best characterisation outside first class (the kind of Optimus Megs Starscream Soundwave etc) bots and cons there is. We will see them again but on really minor roles.

Also I am glad that someone finally starts to realise who Starscream is for real. Its all in the details really :) 

13. Pax Cybertronia

Yeah. At face value, Starscream seems to be the traitor who's far more inept and pathetic than his leader. However, as the series is going on, I'm starting to realize that he's far more intelligent and manipulative than the series lets on: after all, he's the one who came up with the plan to lure the Autobots into a crevice containing korlonium crystals that would have destroyed them by using a clone of Optimus Prime in A Prime Problem and he also manipulated a mentally-addled Red Alert into doing his bidding in this episode.

If this series was serialized more and, for lack of a better word, more 'serious', I have a feeling that the writers wouldn't play up Starscream's cowardice as much and they'd focus more on his cruel and manipulative aspects; if anything, he could serve as a main antagonist for the Autobots and potentially succeed in usurping Megatron for a while if he manages to rally together enough support. I don't have a problem with the episodic feel of this series up to now, mind you; I'm just thinking about what could have been.

14. pilot00

Wait till you see Starscreams Brigade and the Revenge of Bruticus. In those episodes Starscream trully shines and his intelligence and ability is trully put on the pedestal and highlighted. There are numerous occasions this is done but its easy to miss, but everyone who saw those and still believes that Starscream is an incopetent idiot needs to have his senses checked.

15. Altered Prime

And animation error

When soundwave launched his minions buzzsaw Was colored in laserbeaks color scheme

• Like Like x 1
  16. Pax Cybertronia

Apologies for the almost two week long absence. It's the beginning of my GCSEs here in England: I've had my first one today and I've got another exam from Wednesday to Friday. I've got three more next week, then I'll have two or three more - if I remember correctly - when I return for a week in June, then I'll be off school for the next three months.

Thank you all for your patience. Hopefully, I'll watch some more of The Transformers when I have the time!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Infosaur

Infosaur Ancient Cybertronian

Well it's been fun listening to you "catch up" especially someone so young.

One thing that amuses me early on is you've cross referenced TFwiki for background characters.

No they don't have personalities, follow ups or names. We used to call them "generics", but after 30 years writers try to be clever and come up with backstories for every copy-paste & recolor seeker we see in the background for less than 7 frames.

I mean, that's fine and all, it's just funny that back then we didn't really care/notice these "other Decepticons", but Hasbro or a 3rd party thought I'd be cute to redeco a Seeker mold for one more sale, and it was fun, if obscure. (Or you REALLY like Yellow, then Sunstorm was the best thing ever! Finally a Yellow Seeker!)

But as a relative noob (stop, I've got socks older than you) to go back and apply these retcons to the original series is kinda funny.

Part 2

Okay, my criticism of your critique: I understand your first paragraph is a brief overview of the episode, your second is a notice of animation errors (boring, BTW) but interspersed with both is your actual impressions.

You need a summary or opinion paragraph. Keep all your mental notes aside then consolidate them into a cohesive final paragraph. I watched this show many times, I don't need to re-read plot points, but I am interested in YOUR take. Hit me with the payoff.

Part 3:

Unfortunately that this show became endearing at all was kind of a happy accident. There were intents to make a good show but there was also pressure to constantly introduce new characters. Which is why some characters kind of blend into one and other. Hound/Bumblebee/Beachcomber for one. The bios were written already but the cartoon writers tried to use new characters instead of developing an existing character's background. (Windcharger, who you've already noticed is kinda just THERE, was actually supposed to be sort of a prototype Blurr with Magneto powers.)

This is what the past 30 years of fandom has been trying to correct. (And drives us nuts when guys like Michael Bay & Mike Costa just run roughshod over everything established because they have THEIR vision). So realize this show actually had a LOT of wasted potential that has only been addressed relatively recently.

Okay, I forget what episode it is, but in the middle of a monologue, Soundwave's head turns and his mouth plate, comically, doesn't. It's still flapping away somewhere north of his right ear while he finishes his line.

Definitely some "quitting time" animation there.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Altered Prime

You need to throw those sucks out
    The return of Optimus prime part one

• Like Like x 1
  19. pilot00

Yeah and Soundwaves voice into that one is also a bit....rasp...IDK sounds like Welkers throat might have been sore. I mean you can only screech for so long with that Galvatron voice (which I personally find epic).

20. Altered Prime

I think it was more that they use the wrong modulator on the voice