Prime Fan Watches Transformers: Generation One

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Pax Cybertronia, Dec 24, 2017.

1. Pax Cybertronia

Pax Cybertronia Well-Known Member

Now I'm interested: How do the animators create this series? Also, I noticed that it calmed down as it got through as well (it's not as noticeable), but I heard that it kicks it up a notch with AKOM's episodes (e.g. Carnage in C-Minor).

• Like Like x 1
  2. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

You have already seen the Ultimate doom and you are about to see more such....coincidences ;)  Certainly for a universe that wanted to do away with G1, the movies 'borrow' a lot of things (if not all) from the show they want to be independent of ;) 

Despite all the errors in it, it is one of the most 'correctly' animated episodes. There are only a handfull of misshaps in the character models and proportions, which is an odity in the show.

Its one of the episodes I never paid any stock attention to, never been a fan of Gears, but rewatching it recently turned me around.

AKOM is responsible for many epic fails in the series, regarding animation. The Autobot run been one of the first. Carnage in C-Minor been seen as a fail of Mythical proportions. I found the episode to be interesting, but oh boy is it a pain to watch....The fun fact is that Takara is taking ques from Akoms episodes in its recent Mps....for some reason....

• Like Like x 1
  3. Pax Cybertronia

Definitely; I've seen far more errors in other episodes (the blue Optimus from S.O.S. Dinobots, I think, comes to mind).

Well, now I definitely want to see just how terrible the animation is in those episodes! Also, what Masterpieces are Takara being inspired by from AKOM's episodes?

4. Awesomepow

Awesomepow Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just dropping in.

This was a great episode.ROTF 2.0.There was another episode like that with another device.Starscream is Megatron's rag doll.The Gears plot was just great.Glad you enjoyed it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. pilot00

Mp36, Sunstreaker and Rodimus with the target master.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Pax Cybertronia

Thank you! Hopefully, I should enjoy the upcoming episodes as well!

Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Pax Cybertronia

Hi, everyone. I'd like to apologize for my current absence. I've been studying for a practise test for my Maths GCSE, so I'm trying to focus on that at the moment.

I should be resuming with the G1 series soon. Thanks, everyone!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Pax Cybertronia

CITY OF STEEL

So, this episode is about the Decepticons trying to convert (cyberform?) the city of New York into "New Cybertron" (arguably one of the most unimaginative names I could have thought up for a city): intended to be a fortress for Megatron, likely so he could continue to pursue the war effort on Earth and vanquish the Autobots as usual. They manage to capture Optimus, Hook disassembles him quite viscerally (for an 80s cartoon, anyway) and quite poorly, and they transform most of Optimus's body into some rather, quite frankly, batshit crazy ideas. They forge his chassis into an alligator-like robot (they dub it an "Alligaticon" if I remember correctly), use his right arm as a turret at the top of New Cybertron, and they (for some reason). Megatron probably wanted the barely-conscious head as a trophy, but why the hell would you keep his legs and not smelt them down into useful materials? Or perhaps, since the Constructicons are willing to perform wacky experiments with the rest of the body, transform the legs into boltbats or something extraordinary along those lines? Also, I liked the homage to King Kong and the name-drop in the episode itself
    , though, Wheeljack, King Kong was actually an ape... if I remember correctly; it's been a while since I last watched it.

Anyway, I noticed a hell of a lot more animation errors and general oddities in this episode. Jazz and Wheeljack suddenly appear in the episode to perform their roles, Devastator's limbs flew onto the screen instead of showing their transformation sequence, at one point Devastator's head is off-model, Frenzy is coloured like Rumble during the first shot of him driving the train, and Buzzsaw is coloured like Laserbeak when they leave Soundwave's chest during the battle with Bumblebee and Spike at the end. So, this is an episode that was animated by AKOM? Well, it certainly was as much of a hilarious "epic fail" in animation as I anticipated. I want to see more episodes by them just to see if they worsen in any way, shape, or form. Anyway, I did like how they expanded on the Constructicons' characterisations: Mixmaster had a noticeable vocal tick (e.g. "Mega Mega Megatron!" and "Ready ready ready!" That, and I liked how they showed that the Constructicons aren't exactly the most cohesive unit ever, especially considering the differences in personality. Finally, they utilized the Star Wars stock sound effects a lot more than usual, especially at the beginning when Laserbeak is returning to Soundwave.

9. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

Bullet point this episode, I will DEFINITELY be bringing it up again when the time is right... ;) 

And yes, this episode for me is one of the most visibly jarring. If you ever watched Battle of the Planets, there were Hanna Barbara original scenes fit into Super Science Ninja Gatchaman to bring this series to Western audiences, and the notable difference in art styles between Princess' anime model and what is essentially Daphne from Scooby Doo cosplaying Princess is jarring at best.

10. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

Pax, how old are you? Just curious how much older the G1 series is than you. Also, I don't think your links are working on the first couple pages.

Thanks for reviewing. Like others have mentioned, I enjoy reading someone's fresh thoughts on something I've loved for a long time. Not many episodes hold up, but those that do are golden and have such great character or world-building moments that it makes you wonder why certain plot points haven't been picked up on in later series/media.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Pax Cybertronia

The next episode created by AKOM is The Autobot Run, so I'm definitely going to keep on the look out in the future.

I'm 15, and I've noticed that there's definitely some similarities: e.g. ROTF's Star Harvester is similar to the Solar Needle in G1. I'll look out for some more character-building and world-building.

12. CaptainSlayer

CaptainSlayer Bayfomer Fan

I... I don't remember any of this. lol.

Maybe it's time I revisit G1. I'm going to look up my old entry for this episode and see what I had to say.

EDIT: So, I went back and checked my history and I reviewed this episode way back in April of 2015. I copied some highlights. It's been so long since I've done the 'live' blog style that I forgot how chaotic it was and how foul of a mouth (fingers?) I can have without time to process my thoughts. It's like reading an entirely different person's post :p 

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Absolutely! He displays a lot of emotion in the first two seasons ranging from the kind fatherly figure that everyone knows to frustration (Kremzeek) to anger (MTMTE part 3) and everything in between.
    Once the 1986 movie came out, he became all epic, because the movie kind of demanded it. But then it seemed like that was all he became known for & the more recent toons & live action movies all portray him as this stoic, no-nonsense, epic speech machine. Modern Primes would never be caught dead shooting hoops!

It’s definitely an interesting case of a character that started out as being pretty well-rounded & became paired down to one or two traits. Not to say I don’t also like those versions, but there was a lot more happening with G1 Prime than TFP Prime, for example.

• Like Like x 1
  14. UltraMagnus3786

Absolutely agree with the above sentiment. Fatherly figure captures it perfectly. I was always surprised even as a kid when Prime snapped after getting shot down in MTMTE part 3.

Another point I think maybe worth raising--in G1 S1, all of the Autobots' character traits are more subtle compared to today's standards. Is there a big difference between Hound, Sideswipe, and Trailbreaker? Not really--they're all blue collar workers caught up in a war. Their abilities vary and they each get minor moments in the sun, but they don't have any single radical character traits that are exhibited in every scene. Compare that to Sideswipe in TFRiD or Cheetor in BW Season 1--they always play the immature kid in every scene they're in. Obviously not all G1 characters fit the mold I just described, but it certainly mostly played out that way in S1.

15. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think even Peter Cullen forgot about that moment! I know there’s an interview with him, where he describes Prime as the kind of guy that never gets angry. He’s mostly right- Prime is typically calm & cool in most situations. It takes a lot to make him lose his temper.

Agreed, & that works both to the show’s benefit & detriment. It’s cool that you have to look a little closer to see what these guys are actually like. But on the downside, people casually watching probably think of the Bots & cons as homogenous, generic good guys & bad guys. And that leads to complete revamps of characters like Prowl, who is now known as being a dickish, table throwing anti-hero who’s almost worse than the enemies he fights. Maybe G1 Prowl didn’t stand out of the crowd, but he definitely had a personality.

16. JLvatron

JLvatron Transformer

News Credits:
    And that's the problem.

17. UltraMagnus3786

I'm with you here. It's like the characters are.. more than meets... I can't do it.

It's more realistic. No person constantly shows only one personality trait.

It kind of worked in Beast Wars because Cheetor was the youngest bot and the immature traits were tied to his character, but he did eventually grow from that role. None of the other Maximals were as one-noted as him (though maybe Silverbolt is a slight exception). Compare that to RiD, where the original cast can be chalked up to single personality traits--immature, by-the-books, lacking intellect, glitchy, aspiring leader. And I get it--kids need to quickly identify the different characters, so they are written in the simplest ways possible. It was just a sad departure from Prime which wasn't as one-dimensional with its characters.

18. Pax Cybertronia

ATTACK OF THE AUTOBOTS
    The title reminds me of your average B-Movie film, ala "Attack of the Tomatoes" or "Attack of the Aliens". The concept of brainwashed Autobots seems to be taken from it as well; I'm not saying that's a horrible idea, it's actually an interesting concept! Most of the heroes were manipulated into becoming Decepticons via their recharging chambers being altered and it's up to the valiant Bumblebee and Jazz, with their organic allies Spike and Sparkplug, to revert them to their correct mental state. I believe that this is one of the first time Teletraan-1 speaks, or at least, one of the first times that I've noticed; if it's happened before, then it was a lot more prevalent than usual. If I remember correctly, I don't think he's had a voice actor before, though I'm probably wrong. Decepticon science is as amazing as usual; the invisibility spray manages to make the user invisible except for the outline, which is visible to Teletraan-1. Clearly the epitome of Cybertronian science and Megatron's intelligence right here! Anyway, I wonder how the Autobots are going to replace the busted jets, since you can't exactly repair them like the episode implies; it's impossible to repair them after they've been damaged, especially to that extent.

Now, as for the obligatory "how many and what animation errors are there in this episode today," there wasn't really that many I noticed. However, Optimus was missing his fog lights in many shots, and in one shot, Skyfire seemed to have a ridiculously long nose gear. As for characterisation, they were portrayed well, and the writers chose to focus specially on Bumblebee and Jazz this episode. I have to wonder where the Dinobots were during all of this. Teletraan-1 specified that all of the Autobots except for Bumblebee and Jazz had their minds altered, though we don't see the Dinobots in action. I think that the Autobots probably dealt with them off-screen and returned them to the base. Either that, or they were just dormant in the base, which makes me ponder why Bumblebee and Jazz didn't unleash them as a last resort. By this point, Brawn and Soundwave have some sort of rivalry: this is the fourth time they've fought each other in this series, and it's also the fourth time Brawn either scared off Soundwave or defeated him.

• Like Like x 1
  19. pilot00

Ιts always good to see young uns, appreciate the classics and its also good to know that you are MANY. To answer your question: Yes it was AKOMs, welcome to its world!

All it takes is Blaster :p 

The problem to everything that needs fixing in G1 is answered by these dudes: Wheeljack, Ratchet and Hoist (have they introduced Hoist yet?). Nothing is beyond them :p 

Also, this episode demonstrates the best thing about 80s cartoons: Random ideas: "We need to find a way to make the Autobots evil with this Macguffin, but Mirage is an Autobot".
    Dadooom: INVISIBILITY SPRAY!

• Like Like x 1
  20. CaptainSlayer

CaptainSlayer Bayfomer Fan

I watched this episode 4/22/15 with my then fiancee, now wife, watching with me!

It's kind of crazy how little I remember about some of these entries you're doing. Looking at my post, I mentioned Blue Streak who is a character I don't even remember and I also made a deal out of a woman hiding from Hound in a trash can.

That said, I did also have the line "Since when did Teletran One have a voice?", so if you were wrong, then so was I!

At the end of the entry I wrote "Alright, well that's it for that episode and I've got to say I think I found the first episode I didn't enjoy at all. There wasn't much to laugh at nor be interested in. I don't know what the hell I just watched but... erm... there it is!"

Yikes.

So what did you think of the episode in general? Did you like it?