Prime Fan Watches Transformers: Generation One

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Pax Cybertronia, Dec 24, 2017.

1. Pax Cybertronia

Pax Cybertronia Well-Known Member

DIVIDE AND CONQUER

Personally, I love this episode; I prefer it to the previous one! The concept of Optimus Prime being put out of commission for most of the episode is definitely an interesting concept. I especially like the focus on the other Autobots in this episode. It expands their character, especially in a scenario where their leader might be dying. I'm still wondering how in hell Chip Chase manages to gain access to all these different institutions. First it was the antimatter institution, now it's the munitions factory. The fact that he's acting as an inspector instead of being an intern is also very interesting. I have to ask again: Are Chip's parents affiliated with the U.S. government in any way? I doubt that, even if Chip was still as intelligent as he is, Chip would be allowed to access all of these presumably top-secret facilities otherwise. I think that I'm just going to assume they're government officials from this point on.

I find that generic Reflector with the sympathetic voice, who was forced into the pod by Starscream, to be quite likeable and interesting. I want to start naming the generics in this series; I remember doing the same for some Marvel issues a few days ago if I remember correctly. I think I'm going to name the generic Reflector "Autofocus" for now. Again, there's some animation errors (the Prowl-coloured Bluestreak and Brawn's suddenly-ginormous shoulders, for example), but by this point, that's to be expected. I also loved the idea of the Rainmakers - Acid Storm, Ion Storm and Nova Storm - and their ability to create acid rain. Even though it doesn't seem likely since they're not part of the toyline, I hope they're included at some point in the future. I have to wonder how Brawn didn't notice the cassette tape on his shoulder. I would have thought that he'd have noticed both the sound and the sudden weight - even though it's more than likely light - on his shoulder.

As always, the characters are still awesome and they continue to be fleshed out in this episode. I think I'm starting to notice that Starscream's voice has deepened slightly since the MTMTE trilogy, though that's probably just me. The voices are original, pleasing to the ear and as well. I also love the implementation of Teletraan 1 into the plot; it fleshes out Cybertron and the Transformers' technology, and the inclusion of the compitron and the brief mention of a "laser core" does as well. I presume that a laser core is the same as a spark? I found Spike's comment about "Sherlock Holmes with floppy discs" to be surprisingly humorous; clearly, Spike and Sparkplug need Chip or else they'd be utterly hopeless with the Ark's technology. Maybe Wheeljack or one of the Autobots could teach them more about Teletraan? It could make for a funny episode, at least. Finally, Transformers have to be pretty damn durable if they're only left at death's door when their chest explodes, which probably damaged their laser core, compitron and other such components.

Still, I love this episode and I hope that it continues to be as good as it was today!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Pax Cybertronia

I'm watching the Metrodome release, if that's any help to you. Also, I know Toei Animations animates most of Season 1; when does AKOM start animating some of the episodes in this series?

3. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    AKOM animates three episodes in Season Two, "City of Steel," "The Autobot Run" and "The Core," all of which fall fairly early in the season (just as well to get them out of the way). Then they do fourteen episodes in Season Three and all three episodes of Season Four.

I'm enjoying your theories about Chip. I don't recall finding his level of top-secret access incongruous watching this as a kid in the '80s. I think back then we just accepted things we couldn't explain a little easier. Very interesting to see how people and popular fiction have changed each other over the past thirty years!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Pax Cybertronia

FIRE IN THE SKY

At the moment, Fire in the Sky is my favourite episode of the series. The introduction of Skyfire is definitely interesting: A Decepticon who became an Autobot over the course of the episode. I also like how it fleshes out Starscream's character, showing him to be, even if it was for a few minutes, more than just a scheming backstabber who wants to become the leader of the Decepticon, but also a friend to Skyfire. Dare I say it, but it gave me some sympathy for Starscream, at least for the beginning of the episode. Looking on the wiki, the hyper-cooling of the Earth isn't scientifically probable, though it is still an interesting concept, and a good 80s plan, especially for the likes of the Decepticons. Skyfire's sacrifice at the end is definitely tragic, though I believe that he survived it or that he'll be resurrected in a future episode; if I'm right, the series won't start axing off characters until the movie.

As always, there's some animation errors here and there, though they were far less noticeable than usual. One of the few errors I noticed initially was Skyfire's red Decepticon symbol. Also, I love the continued fleshing out of Cybertron's backstory; e.g. the final falling out the Decepticons had with the Autobots before the war, and the idea of the Autobots and Decepticons having some sort of an alliance, if strained. At this point, I wonder if I should point them out since it's expected by this point, though it may become rather egregious later on; I read up that some episodes in Season Three by AKOM have rather dismal animation. I also want to know what they make the Autobot/Decepticon insignias of, considering Jetfire tore off the Decepticon emblem rather easily. As a final statement, I thought that Megatron throwing that energon cube at Starscream was hilarious, and I also thought that Starscream, of all 'bots, calling Jetfire a traitor was rather ironic.

So, up next is S.O.S Dinobots!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    He's Skyfire. They had to make a lot of changes to the cartoon character because Bandai said absolutely NO to putting their mold re-use toy in the show, and his name was one of them.

Even tho it was still SO obvious he was supposed to be Jetfire. But personally I think Skyfire is a better name anyway.

--Moony

6. Pax Cybertronia

I heard that they changed it from Skyfire to Jetfire because of legal issues if I remember correctly, and I'm just used to saying "Jetfire" more than "Skyfire". I do agree with you that Skyfire is a better name than Jetfire.

7. Moonscream

News Credits:
    Legal issues are such confusing fun! :lol 

--Moony

• Like Like x 1
  8. JLvatron

JLvatron Transformer

News Credits:
    Well, do keep in mind they even had a funeral for him.

Yups.
    A lot of the G1 voice actors felt attached to their characters, even the 1's with few or 1 appearances. Gregg Berger who voiced the Native American Spirit in GIJoe, had used a similar voice for Skyfire in this episode. Gregg really appreciated the integrity and courage which was shown by Skyfire and holds him in high regards.

Which makes it really cringeworthy at conventions when a fan comes to the microphone and asks him about voicing "Jetfire" ! :tumbleweed: 

• Like Like x 1
  9. Pax Cybertronia

S.O.S. DINOBOTS

This was another good episode. The introduction of the Dinobots was definitely surprising to me: I knew that the Dinobots would eventually appear in the series but that wasn't exactly the way I thought they'd be introduced. I assumed that all five of the Dinobots would be introduced at once, but the three that were introduced (Grimlock, Slag and Sludge) were still very well-written. I also love the inclusion of history with the Autobots finding some dinosaur fossils to create the Dinobots with, using the fossils as a template, tying in the past (the dinosaur fossils) with the future (the Transformers). When I was younger, if I remember correctly, I was highly interested in dinosaurs; I remember owning a book about a young boy and his adventures with his toy dinosaurs. As always, the fight scenes are interesting, and I also love the fact that the writers put Teletraan 1 out of commission for most of the episode. It really ramps up the tension since it forces the Autobots to intercept Decepticon attacks manually and we don't expect what the Decepticons will attack, or when the Decepticons will attack. I wonder how many installations other than the hydroelectric power plant the Decepticons attacked while Teletraan 1 was out of commission; they could have attacked a small installation before they reached Great Falls.

As for animation and technical errors, I noticed Megatron's lip-flap malfunction when he captured the Autobots and I also noticed the fact that, during that scene, Optimus was coloured blue instead of red. As for characters, I still find them all to be very diverse in personality and interesting, and the inclusion of the Dinobots still holds up that standard. I also love how the writers show that Optimus isn't flawless compared to some other shows, and that he can , which is emphasised with his line at the end about how even the wisest of men, or 'bots, can make errors in their judgement. It shows that even Optimus himself is capable of improving his character and it allows us to emphasise with him more, which some other shows don't exactly do as well. I also wonder if we're going to get some more generics soon while we're introducing some new characters. Finally, I want to find out how, when and why Hound got glitch mice in his databanks; it has to be hilarious.

Up next is Fire in the Mountain on Disc 2, and have a happy New Year's Day from Britain, TFW2005!

• Like Like x 1
  10. JLvatron

JLvatron Transformer

News Credits:
    I remember that from the original broadcast, so twasnt a DVD error.

Glad you liked it. Happy new year!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Pax Cybertronia

FIRE ON THE MOUNTAIN

There were several callbacks in this episode that I loved, some of which I didn't expect. There was the callback to "Fire in the Sky", first of all. After that, there was the callback to the crystal emanating from the Arctic Circle; the crystal in the ruins was similar to that crystal in the Arctic. Also, Skyfire returns. On that note, I still love Skyfire's characterisation and I find him to be an interesting character. I'm a little surprised that the Autobots didn't seem to be as wary of Skyfire as I expected; he is a former Decepticon after all. Then again, he was manipulated into service by Megatron and Starscream after he went back online in Fire in the Sky, and he did turn on the Decepticons quite quickly. Starscream's as hypocritical as ever: he calls Thundercracker a traitor when he tries to usurp Megatron at almost every turn. I love the dynamic between Starscream and the rest of the Seekers; the arguments and the placing the blame on one another really does make it seem comparable to a sibling rivalry between the three of them. The familial-like bond between the Autobots is also emphasised here, especially in their fight with Megatron, Reflector and Soundwave and when Spike was repairing Skyfire.

As for animation errors, I noticed that Starscream's optics were blue when he was dragging the weapons frame over to Megatron and there isn't any exterior damage to Skyfire after he's repaired. I also hope that the writers will continue with the reference to animals on Cybertron (bolt-bat, titanium moosebot, antroid, etc.) and other such terminology (cosmitrons and ailerions, for example); it helps to flesh out Cybertron and deepends and adds to their world-building. I also love how Brawn has enough ball-bearings to attack Megatron with his own fusion cannon (and he punched Megatron in the crotch in an earlier episode!), and I hope to see something like this in the future. I want to see what Luisa's convertible, Juanita, looks like and how Bumblebee responds to it one day; maybe as a brief mention in a later episode. Finally, I hope that we'll return to Cybertron in a future episode, or that we'll see Teletraan I be involved in the plot more, if only to further flesh out the lore of this series.

Next up is War of the Dinobots!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  12. Pax Cybertronia

Thanks! I hoped you had a happy New Year as well!

13. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

So your copy didn't have Skyfire in Skywarp's colors as he's carried off by Screamer and TCracker? Shame, that's what the Dark Skyfire repaint was based off of...

14. Moonscream

News Credits:
    According to the series bible, Fire on the Mountain had a substantial subplot wherein Skyfire almost talked Thundercracker into quitting the 'cons, but it was cut down for time. Thundercracker's disgusted sarcasm at the end is a remnant of that.

--Moony

That was one of Rhino's fuckups, as well as coloring Skywarp as Thundercracker for the 'crystal nurse' line, and coloring Trailbreaker red. The broadcast ep had no coloring errors (I still have my tape of the broadcast).

--Moony

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2018
  15. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

I knew it was a Rhino fuck up, but didn't later pressings have the same issue? I know the bootleg copy I got in Baghdad had about half the episodes were of the Rhino ilk and the other half were not. At least, if the intros were anything to go by...

16. Pax Cybertronia

I looked it up, and Metrodome uses Rhino Entertainment's re-mastered edition. I think it did if I remember correctly.
    Really? Well, that's interesting. I remember reading that series bible on TFArchive at one point, though I can't really remember that much about it. I wonder what would have happened if they went through with that idea.

17. JLvatron

JLvatron Transformer

News Credits:
    You mean 'Skyfire'. :) 

whoooOOOO?????

Skyfire was a Decepticon for maybe 1 hour? Not very long.

Juanita was TeeHee-ous! :D 
    I wonder if any customizers have made a Juanita figure?

I really liked Skywarp & Thundercracker insulting their superiors. Skywarp called Starscream 'Crystal Nerd', and Thundercracker called him & Megatron Geeks!

18. Pax Cybertronia

WAR OF THE DINOBOTS

So, this episode introduces the other two Dinobots that I previously expected to appear back in the previous Dinobot-centred episode: Snarl and Swoop. First of all, I love the conflict between Optimus and the Dinobots: It seems strangely reminiscent of how the Decepticons fought amongst one another. This shows that not all of the Autobots act like a cohesive unit; personally, I'd say that the rest of the Autobots are like children in how they look up to Prime (not personality-wise), and I'd also say that the Dinobots are teenagers in how rebellious and argumentative they are, especially since they seem to flip-flop between leaders depending on who's the strongest physically (Grimlock, Optimus and Megatron). I hope that this comes up again, especially because it deviates from the norm. I also like how forgiving Optimus is towards his men, especially compared to Megatron; as I've said before, it emphasises his status as a symbolic father for his men. While I was watching this, I'm starting to wonder what happens while the Decepticons are flying throughout the country. Does anyone notice the flying robots soaring above them? It's just something that I randomly thought about, really; and Chip Chase seems to have access to a lot of scientific facilities across the world. Now, he has access to observatories. Like I presumed before, I think his parents are government officials, they have to be by this point.

As for animation errors, I noticed that Grimlock's visor wasn't coloured when he apologized to Optimus at the end of the episode, and I also noticed that Sparkplug's blueprint reads "Out Line Plan Desge". I also love the Star Wars sound effects, if I haven't mentioned that before. It really adds to the alien-esque atmosphere. If I had any gripes about this episode, I'm surprised that the meteoroid didn't leave a bigger impact in the city than it did; I'm surprised it didn't wipe it out! Also, I want to know how powerful Trailbreaker's force-fields are; they have to be pretty damn powerful to prevent the destruction of the Ark when the meteoroid implodes. Now, this is unrelated to this episode, but I want to name some of the numerous generics throughout this season at some point. I just need to find some names to give them, especially the Seekers in the MTMTE Trilogy.

Right, so next up is The Ultimate Doom Trilogy!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Pax Cybertronia

Agh, damn it! I swear, whenever I hear about Skyfire, Jetfire is always going to be lurking in the recesses of my brain! Thanks for reminding me!

• Like Like x 1
  20. JLvatron

JLvatron Transformer

News Credits:
    No worries.
    ...but to be safe, if you ever plan to attend a convention with Gregg Berger as guest, I recommend repeating in front of a mirror,
    "I will not ask Gregg about 'Jetfire'.
    I will not ask Gregg about 'Jetfire'."

Hmmm,

No Comment. :) 

• Like Like x 1