Prime Fan Watches Transformers: Generation One

Discussion in 'Transformers Cyberverse and Cartoon Discussion' started by Pax Cybertronia, Dec 24, 2017.

1. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    Well, not in detail. Our dude here hasn't seen it yet, I don't think...

• Like Like x 1
  2. Pax Cybertronia

Pax Cybertronia Well-Known Member

A DECEPTICON RAIDER IN KING ARTHUR'S COURT

So, this episode of The Transformers involves transforming robots who are running low on energy travelling to the Sixth Century, and they end up stuck between a feud between King Arthur Aethling the Red and Wigend of Blackthorne, two rivaling nobles. Oh, and there's dragons and magicians... makes a ton of sense just by reading this, doesn't it? Anyway, so we begin the episode in medias res during a battle between the Autobots and the Decepticons; when the Decepticons retreat due to lack of energy, Rumble locates energy in on a stone and so they go inside the cave. They end up using a time travelling device - they seem to press some ancient lettering that serves as a code of sorts - created by Beorht, a magician with an owl, that ends up taking them to 543 A.D. The Decepticons are greeted by Sir Wigend of Blackthrone, who manage to convince them that they will defeat Wigend's enemies - their arrival is observed by Beorht's owl, who goes off to tell his master about this strange new development, and Nimue, who runs off to warn her father, Sir Aetheling the Red, and she meets Spike Witwicky. Spike soon joins the jousting tournament between the two kingdoms, but is swiftly defeated by Wigend's champion. After that, Ramjet and Rumble enter the tournament together, but they are defeated by Warpath, who uses Sir Aetheling the Red as his knight. Starscream then decides to kidnap Nimue and threatens to kill her in one day unless Sir Aetheling secedes control of his realm over to Starscream! In Blackthorne's castle, Starscream has Rumble throw her in a tower and forces its residents to construct and power an electrical generator to re-energize the Decepticons, and while Starscream sends Rumble to procure potassium nitrate so they can create gunpowder, Starscream re-energizes himself and hogs it until pushed by the Decepticons. Meanwhile, the Autobots are unable to save Nimue because they are lacking energy, leaving Spike to have to try and save her by climbing up into Blackthorne's tower. While initially incensed at Sir Blackthrone's siding with Starscream - even throwing a stool at him - she soon becomes engaged to him over the course of the episode, and they tell Spike this when he climbs up into the window (after falling into the castle's moat at one point just before the Decepticons lowered the drawbridge).

As Starscream and the rest of the Decepticons finish re-energizing themselves, the forces of Sir Aetheling's knights, Warpath and Hoist charge towards Blackthorne's tower to try and combat the Decepticons - the Autobots are swiftly defeated by the Decepticons because of their low energy levels (they're not even able to transform), meaning that they can only serve to aid the knights trying to scale the castle's walls, as well as Hoist acting as a drawbridge for the knights trying to cross. As the knights around them fall to the Decepticons' gunpowder, the wizard from before appears and summons lightning that rejuvenates the Autobots. While they are able to stand up and fight the Decepticons - they're now powerful enough to transform, for exaple - they are unable to use their lasers, but they are still able to defeat Starscream. And after that, Beorht deduces that the Transformers are time travellers, and so he takes them back to Dragon's Mount - which was guarded by a dragon. The dragon wasn't there before because he was off visiting his, presumably dragon-like, relatives, and so the dragon attacks the Transformers; while Starscream refuses to go near the beast, Beorht throws a pouch of Dragon's Bane at the dragon - which seems to have similar components to Starscream's gunpowder, except with some alterations - and it explodes, scaring off the dragon (who presumably goes off to visit his relatives again). The Transformers and Spike then return to the present day, but they are greeted by Megatron, who shoots at them. After Starscream enthusiastically tackles his leader (yes, really!), Megatron reacts as expected and screams in anger as the episode fades out.

As for animation errors, I noticed that some of the lip flaps seemed off at some points, at least to me. Might've been just me, though - especially when he didn't speak when he says, "No, Rumble... not I". He's also missing his wing emblems when he drives off with Nimue. There doesn't appear to be any colouring errors in this episode, surprisingly.

As for my opinion on this episode, it was very, uh, interesting, but I still loved it regardless. I mean, the concept of time travel, in a way, has been touched upon before in Dinobot Island, but not to this extent. And this plot is just outright batshit crazy - I would never have expected giant robots to be mixed up with knights and rival nobles from the 6th Century, dragons and magicians. CaptainSlayer was definitely right when he said that this would be one of the strangest episodes in this series - this episode was weird as fuck. Like I said, most people probably wouldn't think that robots, knights, dragons and wizards would end up in one series. So, this episode focuses on Hoist and Warpath. I found Warpath's vocal tic of him shouting "POW! BAM!" and so on and so forth entertaining; it helps to make him stand out from the rest of the Autobots. His more psychotic personality also helps with that. I'm also kind of surprised at Hoist and Warpath being chosen to star in the episode of all things - I personally didn't expect those two Autobots to be paired together, but it still worked and it made for a wonderful and, uh, very interesting episode regardless. I also liked Spike Witwicky in this episode; it was admittedly somewhat surprising to see him be so active here, to the point of going off somewhere instead of the Autobots. He has done this before, but I mean it's surprising that he tried to stop the Decepticons all on his own, without any backup whatsoever. That definitely deserves some commendation for his bravery. Also, is he cheating on Carly here? I mean, he did have the hots for Nimue and is comforted by Hoist towards the end when she becomes engaged to Blackthorne. Doesn't he already have a girlfriend? Finally, Starscream was a decade off with his estimate = 1451 + 543 = 1994. In order for the Decepticons to have traveled to 543 A.D. from 1984 A.D., it'd be 1442 years before 1984.

Oh, and it probably isn't worth mentioning this, but that clip with Warpath transforming from tank mode to robot mode from the ending is in this episode. Just thought I'd mention that.

So, next up is The Golden Lagoon!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

Hmmm,

Hey when I'm wrong I'm wrong, it's been over 30 years after all.

Still, the passage I'm thinking of is on another page. I think the next one. (With the mysterious Big Red)

I'll see if I can find it. IMG_0800.JPG

I guess I misread the passage as "the Autobots were gifted with a natural ability to transform"

And took "the Deceptions armored aircraft forms" as they were using vehicles.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  4. Altered Prime

Altered Prime Well-Known Member

No big deal I just thought you were remembering something from another line of fiction

5. G1Prowl

News Credits:
    The image of Rumble saturated in seagull shit is still one of the most vivid memories of G1 that I have. It also helped drive home the ingredients to gunpowder, which came in handy several times in life after that, for me at least...

• Like Like x 3
  6. CaptainSlayer

CaptainSlayer Bayfomer Fan

C'mon Prowl, out of everyone in this thread you should know I wouldn't be the jerk to ruin an episode lol.

That said, I gave War Dawn a watch yesterday. What I will say is I was reminded what my issues with the episode were, but overall, I appreciate the effort put into it. So no, it's not one of my favorites but it was nice to give it another viewing!

• Like Like x 1
  7. CaptainSlayer

CaptainSlayer Bayfomer Fan

This episode is the only reason I gave the fantasy bits of The Last Knight any sort of consideration (though they ended up being trash anyway).

I'm glad you see my point of view. This episode felt so far out of left field that the creators weren't even playing the same game anymore. However, I did enjoy it, it just felt super different.

Next up though is my favorite episode of the series alongside Traitor. It's certainly the most impactful of the bunch. Enjoy it!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Negativedark

Negativedark Stealth Gesalt

Certain things make more sense when you remember some of the writers had general plots they re-use for various different shows. So you might see very similer events in episodes of Transformers, GI Joe, Superfriends, and TMNT for example. And some of those plots definitly make more sense if they don't involve a transforming alien robot.
    Like that one time with Powerglide and a Heiress making much more sense on GI Joe when it involved Lifeline.
    It was just one of the writer's general plots. "I'm gonna rip off a Conneticut Yankie in King Arthur's court for this one".

• Like Like x 1
  9. Pax Cybertronia

From what I remember, I saw on the Wiki that some of the writers would use the same plots in other episodes - e.g. Day of the Machines's plot was recycled from the He-Man and the Masters of the Universe episode "Day of the Machines" (where a machine goes evil and takes control of machines and forces them to attack the protagonists), and Microbots took from the same episode (the sequence where a character shrinks down and enters a machine to fix/sabotage it). I think the main writer involved in this was known as David Wise.

10. Pax Cybertronia

THE GOLDEN LAGOON

So, in this episode, Beachcomber, Powerglide, Warpath, Perceptor and Seaspray are ambushed by Blitzwing, Ramjet and Thrust - Blitzwing notably orders Thrust to attack the Autobots first, signifying that he may have a high-ranking position in the Decepticons. In the midst of battle, Beachcomber takes cover and discovers a woodland full of flora and animals, as well as a pool of electrum, to his enjoyment and then he dips his hand into the electrum. Upon discovering the electrum, the Decepticon Thrust also stumbles upon it and creates a rock-slide, forcing back Beachcomber and his animal companions; Thrust then proceeds to jump into the pool, turning him into gold and thus making him completely invulnerable. Just as Beachcomber returns to battle (and lies to Perceptor about the glen to preserve nature, claiming that it was 'Oh, nothing'), so does Thrust, and despite Perceptor's hand-retractable missiles attacking him, the Seeker is just outright invulnerable to anything they throw at them and Perceptor and Seaspray are captured while the rest are forced to retreat inside a cliff opening. Inside the Decepticons' undersea headquarters, Thrust notifies Megatron of the 'golden lagoon', and the Decepticons travel quickly to the glen and immerse themselves in the liquid to become invincible - Starscream is chosen to be the guinea pig and is manipulated by Megatron with promises of invulnerability. Then, the Decepticons shoot each other, reflecting the blasts off of one another, causing the glen to burn around them. The Autobots regroup and it turns out that Mirage was standing there for the last ten minutes while they were regrouping and Smokescreen also joins in. After they are quickly dispatched by the Decepticons again, they retreat and tell the other Autobots about it; Sunstreaker in particular brags about how a 'pro' will be able to defeat them, but he's quickly defeated by the invulnerable Decepticons. The Decepticons return to headquarters and Starscream and his soldiers force Seaspray and Perceptor to fight 'to the finish', causing Soundwave to rush off to tell Megatron Starscrea's plan. An injured Smokescreen tells Omega Supreme about it, and Omega Supreme decides to combat the invulnerable Decepticons, but even he is defeated easily by them; meanwhile, Beachcomber is captured by the Decepticons and is taken to the headquarters. After defeating Omega Supreme, Megatron decides to attack the Autobot headquarters!

In the Ark, Mirage reports to the Autobots that, to everyone's shock, even Omega Supreme was felled by the seemingly-invincible Decepticons. Optimus, recognizing the substance, deduces it to be electrum and sends out the Autobots to try and locate the glen where it's located. Meanwhile, Powerglide follows the Decepticons and discovers the glen and reports back to Optimus, while Megatron orders Starscream and his Seekers to dispatch Beachcomber and the rest of the Autobot prisoners. Beachcomber, forgoing his pacifistic ways for the moment, pretends to have escaped by hiding on the ceiling and overcomes them, using his electrum-coated fist to his advantage, takes the Seekers' guns and he then rescues his fellow Autobots, blasts open a hole in the ship and escapes through there - they then decide to head towards the golden lagoon. Dirge, meanwhile, is put on guard after Long Haul abandons him, and he is taken out quickly by the trio just as the rest of the Autobots led by Optimus arrive; they all happily decide to jump into the electrum after Beachcomber suggests that. At the Ark, the Decepticons, chiefly Starscream, find out that the Autobots have replaced themselves with dummies and so they return to the lagoon after being tricked, but there they are attacked by the Autobots and the two engage in a battle. The battle continues for a while, but it destroys what's left of the glen. Soon, the Decepticons' invulnerability and golden coating wears off, making them vulnerable to enemy fire again, and Megatron, enraged, destroys the lagoon and retreats. While the Autobots cheer their victory, Beachcomber remains at the glen's ruins, mourning its loss.

As for animation errors, I noticed that Blitzwing's helmet is coloured purple instead of yellow when he joins the attack on the beach, Perceptor's chest rim is coloured dark grey when he turns to fire on the newly electrum-coated Thrust, Brawn's helmet is coloured olive green instead of a greyish silver as eh transforms to fire on the Decepticons with Sunstreaker's squadron, Starscream is missing one of his wing insignia after he lands at the electrum pool and Bluestreak's head crest is drawn as a pair of squared boxes on his head when Mirage reports to Sunstreaker.

As for my opinion on this episode, I personally liked it, and I can see why people are fond of it from what I've seen. It's an interesting concept: the Decepticons, for most of the episode, are invulnerable because of a liquid that coats them in gold and makes them invulnerable, so they manage to fuck up the Autobots until they do the same. I'd also say this might be the first Pyrrhic victory for the Autobots: while they did win, Beachcomber, the protagonist of the episode, is mourning the loss of the glen and the lagoon. It's kind of strange to see a somber ending in here; most episodes so far have left on a positive note with the Autobots laughing as the scene fades out (I do remember, however, that Nightbird's episode ended with a somewhat sinister tone, what with Nightbird staring angrily at the screen). Honestly, it's a nice change and it shows that personal goals may conflict with the ultimate victory achieved. For example, Beachcomber wanted to preserve the lagoon and the glen, hence why he didn't tell anyone else about it, but the lagoon was destroyed by Megatron in vain of his efforts. I also still think Beachcomber's an interesting and fun character: we specifically get a quiet moment when he escapes the battle for a bit where he's one with nature and is clearly enjoying himself. It establishes that he loves nature and probably prefers it to the war he's eternally surrounded by. Finally, I noticed the Charge of the Light Brigade reference there; learning that poem in my GCSE has paid off!

So, up next is The God Gambit!

11. G1Prowl

News Credits:
    I guess I missed the Light Brigade reference, and that makes me sad...

This is one of those rather deep episodes that anti-G1 posters on here like to forget about. There's more than a few that are as deep as this, but for whatever reason the fans of any other series seems to think of G1 as its worst episode over and over and over.

This episode is also getting a rather saucy reference in toy form as Takara is doing a Golden Lagoon set. You should look into it.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Pax Cybertronia

THE GOD GAMBIT

So, this episode begins with a battle in space between Cosmos and Astrotrain and his group of Decepticons. While sending a transmission to Optimus Prime, Red Alert and the rest of the Autobots in this episode, he's injured and sent flying towards Titan. Inside Titan, Jero, a tyrannical astrologer priest who worships the Transformer-resembling Sky Gods, is forcing his people to slave to create a statue to bring offerings to them. While he berates Scrawney for his 'dismal' offering and claiming that the 'Sky Gods will show no mercy!', an atheistic rebel known as Talaria shatters the statue and captures Jero and his high priests. As Talaria tries to convince Jero's slaves that the Sky Gods are an illusion that Jero uses as "an excuse for high taxes and harsh laws," as well as just generally enslaving everyone, but as she rants, Cosmos crashes near them, allowing Jero to use him as an excuse to reclaim his place as leader. In front of the temple where the statues of a Sky God was felled by Talaria, Astrotrain and his accomplices - Starscream and Thrust - they overhear Talaria and Jero's argument and Astrotrain decides to pretend to be the 'mightiest of all the gods' to enslave them, but Starscream protests, claiming that he's 'a much better choice' than Astrotrain. In response, Astrotrain strangles Starscream and Starscream relents without much trouble. The Decepticons prop up Cosmos in the temple to use as an idol to further convince the natives of their supremacy, and Astrotrain removes Cosmos' data storage as well as removing a cable that would allow him to call for help. Talaria, who has been watching the entire time, secretly reconnects the cable and reestablishes communication with Optimus Prime on Earth, who had been trying to reconnect with Cosmos for 'hours', and tells her how to activate Cosmos' homing beam (though she doesn't know what a planet is). The Decepticons notice her, but she manages to escape because Cosmos wakes up in time to shoot at Starscream and Thrust - however, he's quickly disabled again by Astrotrain.

On Earth, Optimus orders Omega Supreme to retrieve Cosmos from Titan, but that will use up 97% of his energy, rendering him unable to transform until he's sufficiently refueled. Optimus intends on going, but Red Alert convinces him not to go: after all, they can't afford to let Optimus be killed or captured by the Decepticons. Therefore, Perceptor and Jazz are sent with Omega Supreme to go to Titan. The Autobots crash on Omega Supreme after his energy resources are depleted, leaving Omega Supreme on the edge of an abyss. While Jazz and Perceptor search for Cosmos and his energy source, the tyrannical Jero leads the Decepticons to a cave full of energy crystals - which had been described as 'sacred' by the 'Ancient Texts', which one of Jero's lackeys remind him about, to his chagrin. The Decepticons then force the Titans to harvest the crystals and carry them to the temple. The Autobots meet with Talaria, who, after Jazz manages to calm her down and stop her from firing arrows at them, takes them to the temple where Cosmos is located. Jazz and Perceptor are attacked by Starscream and Thrust, but Starscream is quickly overwhelmed; Astrotrain has the Titans fire some of the crystals - recognizing their power - at the Autobots, forcing them to retreat and allowing Talaria to be captured, and Astrotrain orders her to be sacrificed to intimidate the rest of the fatigued Titans. The Autobots find the crystal cave and meet a group of Titans who, thanks to Astrotrain and the Decepticons, have lost their faith in the Sky Gods because they bring nothing but 'death and despair' tell them about the sacrifice, and so Jazz heads for the temple to rescue Talaria while Perceptor takes some of the crystals to refuel Omega Supreme. Jazz is able to free Talaria before she's impaled and holds off the Decepticons long enough that Omega and Perceptor arrive; this is after Omega and Perceptor nearly fall in the abyss while Omega is being refueled. After realizing they can't defeat Omega Supreme, Astrotrain decides that 'since they can't have the crystals, no one can' and blow up the crystals, starting a chain reaction that destroys the temple and the surrounding area. The Autobots manage to help the Titans escape over the abyss that surrounds the exploding temple mount and the Autobots are thanked for their valiant efforts.

As for animation errors, I noticed that the lower segment of Starscream's canopy's coloured yellow instead of grey when Astrotrain prepares to introduce himself, Starscream's wing insignias are right-side up when they should be upside down, Thrust's cockpit and chest are mis-drawn as he traps Talaria: they're too large and are squared off, and Perceptor's shoulder cannon is all-red instead of red with grey bands as he staggers around following Omega's landing on Titan.

As for my response, I liked it. I noticed the reference to the poem Ozymandias at the beginning - "Look ye on his might, and despair," which is paraphrased from "Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!" - which was interesting. It's the second episode in the row where a poem from my GCSEs was referenced: the first one was Charge of the Light Brigade in the last episode. In my opinion, this is a dark episode, especially for this show. I mean, it deals with sacrifices and people potentially being killed for 'heresy'. That and Astrotrain tried to seemingly wipe out an entire species (as far as I'm aware, that is) after he lost and threw a temper tantrum. There also seems to be a resistance movement going on and the slaves are subject to harsh conditions and there seems to be a death penalty on there judging by what nearly happens to Talaria. I was also interested by Astrotrain's characterization here: he seems to have a position above Starscream, judging by the fact that Starscream seemed to fear him and he commanded the other two Decepticons. I wonder if Megatron was intended to take his place, which would make sense, though it'll be interesting to see if Astrotrain is Megatron's current second-in-command. It could lead to quarrels and fights with Starscream, for example. Also, Starscream reciting the human nursery rhyme when he landed in front of the temple made me chuckle; he's clearly looked into Earthen literature.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Pax Cybertronia

Sorry I haven't been posting any reviews recently. College and my A-Levels have just started for me today and I'm probably gonna be busy with revision and homework. Hopefully, I'll have a review up soon!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Pax Cybertronia

I've left college for half-term now, but I've got a lot of homework at the moment (e.g. two double-sided mind maps for Law and around I have to write notes for 40-80 pages of my Politics textbook). That being said, I'm hoping to do a review soon if I'm not busy and if I remind myself to do it! Thanks for being patient, everyone!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Soundwaver

Soundwaver Well-Known Member

The person named SpamSung sounds like a troll ( let's hope or pray he never comes back). Anyways like the reviews, Pax.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Pax Cybertronia

Didn't pay much mind to Spamsung as far as I remember. Thanks for liking my reviews; I'll try and do one once I'm done with my college homework!

17. Soundwaver

Soundwaver Well-Known Member

NP :) 

• Like Like x 1
  18. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We Exist, and We DON'T Want to Date You

News Credits:
    Something I didn't catch before - its the Nemesis, not the Victory.

And dang, I didn't think about it but the Decepticons were damned industrious, building stuff all over the place, fixing stuff, inventing stuff... Maybe that's why the Autobots were doing so badly - they were lazy. :lol 

--Moony

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  19. Primeultra

Primeultra Well-Known Member

No that is incorrect

For the record neither the autobot or decepticon ships were ever named in the cartoon

Retroactively they’ve been given names, the ship that the decepticons came to earth in what is known as the nemesis

The ship they tried to go back home in at the end of the pilot was a ship they built on earth and not the nemisis

20. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We Exist, and We DON'T Want to Date You

News Credits:
    It was the one later used as the base to their headquarters and then named Nemesis in Beast Wars.

--Moony