Minor/Repaint: Prime Directive (A more 'real' Classics Optimus)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Christopher-2, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Christopher-2

Christopher-2 Well-Known Member

This is my third custom, but I am doing this in a whole new style which every future custom of mine will follow. Most folks customize their Transformers and just show us what they look like, but I want to show my customs in action!

This is Optimus Prime, leader of the autobots, but as true to his roots as he can be, both as a robot, and as that strange visitor who awoke on Earth in 1984 and led the autobots till' his final battle on Autobot city.

I like this mould a lot, but Hasbro gave Prime way too much color. It only emphesises on the fact that it is just a toy. It was up to me to fix that and make it more than meets... you know. Basically, I removed paint where I thought it should not belong and did minor touch ups to emphesise on the fact that he is a Robot. I had to take this guy apart to highlight his interior with silver, which is questionable in bot mode, since he's supposed to be carrying the matrix, but it makes a world of difference in truck mode.

Yes, the thread is named after the first Dreamwave comic book Story Arc.

Tell me what you think. Do action shots make better pics?

Attached Files:

2. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

Cool, where's the top of the cab?

3. Christopher-2

I like it better when the cab is shaped this way, so I shot the photo so that it doesn't show the top bot kibble too much. It would be better if I had prepared a cover for it, but then i'd be tempted to also build a trailer. Maybe someday...

4. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

Wow! Now thats awesome, very G1-esque and those action poses very cool, so great job all the way.

5. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

dude i love what you did here. looks super clean. and your photos are awsome!!! thanks for posting man

6. Christopher-2

You are welcome, and thank you, guys, for the comments. I'd like to know what more people think of the action shots, so I can show off my other customs in the same style, like my metalic thundercracker.

7. Methusalen

Methusalen Not good enough for G1!

News Credits:
    I like it too, although I also think he needs something to cover up the head while he's in vehicle mode... Maybe some little flap that just sits over the exposed head? Shouldn't be too much work, just a flap of plastic & a little peg glued to it? I dunno, I still like him as you have him, the G1-esque paint scheme is top notch! I also like the silver touches you added to his interior, makes it stand out better than it was!

-Oh, and those action shots are pretty slick! I really like them. Are they just taken outdoors against a backdrop? I can't figure out what the blue & gray backdrop is, a concrete slab of some sort?

8. Christopher-2

Thanks, bud, I appreciate the critique. There is no backdrop, just an authentic backyard:) 

The scene with the plants was shot infront of a dead tree trunk that looked like a cave. I shot the sand scenes in my lil' brother's sand-box, which is actually a monster truck wheel. He had been playing with toys there, and had it already set up for me to shoot.

9. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

The actions shots are very good,nice that there's nothing in the background to take away from the toy's scale in the photos.

Have to say I liked the last two the best,Prime stradling a dirt road,and the Autobots rolling out.

As for the paint job,did you repaint the red/blue colors all over as my Prime is dark blue compared to yours?

10. Sentinel Pax

Sentinel Pax Well-Known Member

This looks great, and I love the action shot idea. Keep up the good work, I'm with you 100% on the "too much color on Prime" deal. This has a more subdued, awesome look.

11. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Great job on this one, bro! I really dig the paint job you did and the colors really stand out.

What type of paint (brand/shade) did you use for the blue? It looks really nice.

12. aurascope

aurascope Kitbash Resource Indexer

Ebay:
    action poses for the win!

13. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I like most of it, but dislike how you have red upper arms. Prime should have silver or grey there. Other than that, and you completely removing all yellow from his forearm, this looks almost exactly like how I did mine almost 2 years ago :) 

14. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

I thinks it's cool someone else loved the Prime Directive Arc enough to name a custom after it.

Paint work is slick as always.

15. Mega-Prime 316

Mega-Prime 316 Well-Known Member

Yup, I agree! That is some pretty nice stuff! Action poses rock! :D 

16. Christopher-2

I didn't really paint the blue parts, that's just what the blue looks like outside when the day is covered with rain clouds. The conditions are also the reason why there are no shadows in any of the pics.

You are right, the upper arms should have been grey or silver, like the Prime in the comic book I named this thread after, but for my custom I originally planned to completely reproduce the Henkei Toy before finally deciding to add my own touches. I don't mind them, reminds me of the cartoon model. I was inspired by many Prime customs, and might have looked at yours if you put it on deviantart.

17. MetroBoy

MetroBoy Keeper of the Cheese

Much nicer than the Henkei version. Proves that they could have gone with fewer paint apps and still would have had an awesome looking Prime.

18. Wingsbr

Wingsbr Christian TF Fan :)

News Credits:
    Nice work. Really goes to show what a little paint can do for an already nice fig..

19. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Thats really nice...I actually like it better with out the wind vane on top :thumb 

And the pics look great too!!

20. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    I really like what you have done here. I may just have to do the same to mine.