Prime Direction

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Yaujta, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Yaujta

Yaujta Not a Bear TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    After watching the last few epsiodes, one question kept coming to mind:

Is this going anywhere?

Don't get me wrong, I really like the series and the animation is top notch, but I'm not feeling an overall coherency or story direction.

Anyone else feel this way?

2. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

They're digging deeper in the universe and characters of the show, setting up the stage to THEN introduce some master plot point.

Besides, MECH has been doing a lot of things recently, hasn't it? We already have Project: Chimera as a future plot point.

3. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy It's pronounced "ribby"

News Credits:
    Well, we still have 8 more episodes this season, but I feel it's slowly coming together. The Arcee-Airachnid plot is now merged with the Decepticon threat, Starscream's issues are being brought up in the next 2 episodes, more people are finding out about the Transformers, and I have a feeling "Project Chimera" will be present in the finale.

4. Kostya

Kostya Destron

News Credits:
    @OP: At first yeah but ever since we came back all the episodes have directly tied into one another in some way and Rock Bottom and Partners' description implies that will continue. It's just taking time.

5. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think the problem is that both sides have hit a status quo. The Autobots are defending Earth as they promised, but what do the Decetpcions have now? They're all out of Dark Energon, their home planet is dead, Megatron is back.... it really feels like they don't KNOW what to do other than continue mining for energon, the only one that is working on something it seems is Starscream who is planning to take power again.

But next episode we got Megatron and Starscream going inside a cave, Megatron himself personally which is something that hints it's a special situation, I think next episode we'll see what Megatron's end of season plan will be since he's all out of Dark Energon (maybe even find more dark energon?)

By the way, I'll have to disagree with the term you used, lack of "overall coherency", right now the villains don't have a major plan, but the show got ALOT of coherency, their continuity is top notch, I mean heck, the whole last episode just dealt with a bunch of character related things at once ( Jack's dad status, June's views on Jack and his adventure, Breakdown trying to prove himself after his capture, Airachnid joining the Decepticons again). You may not need to watch all episodes to understand what is going on, but the continuity is still top notch.

6. Yaujta

Yaujta Not a Bear TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I honestly missed the last episode.
    Maybe it would be better for me to go back and watch them from the beginning, in order.

7. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    There is plenty conherency of plot...

8. Gojira Prime

Gojira Prime Narf

What he said.

9. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, its turning into a soap opera.

10. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    There is lots of plot leading places - it's just that it's not the kind of Decepticon VS Autobot warfare plot that we tend to expect right now. Smaller plot threads are coming together, characters are going places that are interesting and we have a sense that Mech's plans are building into some looming threat.

It's quite a smart move, I think. Use season one to build and develop characters that are strong enough to carry a plot properly, and then use season two to crank things into an epic perspective (since didn't we hear that S2 was basically a large plot thread spanning the entire season? Something of that kind of scale - and sheer length - isn't going to work unless the characters are already strong and developed enough to carry it through the inevitable rough spots).

11. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

Not really.

There is actually quite a bit of coherency going on throughout the series. It's just a lot more subtle about it then some other shows.

I think right now the war is fairly low scale, though it may be building up to something for season 2. Who knows.

Personally, I'm enoying the lack of a epic plot as of right now. I like that the fate of the world doesn't always have to be at stake every episode.
    They kind of got that out of the way in the 5 parter. Right now it seems the Decepticons are still kind of getting their shit back together.

12. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    No.

Welcome to "episodic-writing", meaning each episode is its stand-alone story. Before the series premiered, Orci and Kurtzman stated that this would be their decision, and while they may introduce bits of a larger, on-going story, the majority of the stories would be self-contained to the respected episode.

Oh, I'm sure we'll have a 2 or 3 part "season finale", but it'll come out of nowhere, or it'll use a plot-device from a previous episode (ie: Project Chimera), but there will be no sense of "story building from episode 1 to current".

I hate episodic writing. It was cool when I was 5, but I'm nearly 30 now, and I want something I watch regularly to have a direction or a purpose in mind.

13. Kostya

Kostya Destron

News Credits:
    You do realize what the intended audience for TFs is right:rolleyes2 

Also I believe they said that only applies to season 1.

Finally I would like to disagree on the last part. The past three episodes are rather interconnected and if anything it seems like their plots will have a big impact on the next two episodes.

14. Stygimoloch

Stygimoloch ROBOT! JET! ROBOT!

News Credits:
    They said that's what it would be for the first season, but Season 2 is going to pick up the pace a lot. The reasoning behind this is to build up a large general audience so they're not confused too early on, and then once they've got that established they're going to go all out for Season 2 to satisfy the young and old fans.

It helps to keep in mind that most of the current audience IS 5 (or in that general area). It works for them. Once the show's plot and its characters are established we're gonna see a lot more plot building.

15. WTDylio

WTDylio Where is Jessica Hyde?

News Credits:
    Really?! Where did it say that? Because that would be great, it could lead quite nicely to Partners
    EDIT: Oh, whoops, forget what I just asked, just saw that thread you posted

16. darksage78

darksage78 Maximal

Usually, I would prefer to see the direction as to where the story was going - but the quality of each standalone episode is executed so well that I seldom think about it. Not to mention the writing staff does a fine job with linking episodes up with previous ones that its not downlplayed which suits me perfectly.

17. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I like the episodic writing for the begining.

Hey Beast Wars started off like that but once it finished developing and setting things up they got right into the main plot.

I think Season 2 will start the continuing episodes.