Prime Cyberverse Knock Out & Energon Driller

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Sol Fury, May 18, 2012.

1. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Click here to check out the gallery! 60+ pics inside!

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Cyberverse Legion Knock Out

The Energon Driller with Knock Out is, to be quite honest, a very cool set. You get a Cyberverse version of the Decepticon medic Knock Out, who is very nicely represented and comes with both his Energon Shock Staff and his buzzsaw. Both are done in clear purple plastic as is the standard for the Decepticon Cyberverse releases, but these are done in harder plastic rather than the soft rubbery stuff used for the Vehicon's gun. The robot mode likeness is excellent and the face sculpt with its slight smirk oozes character. The transformation is clever, working just slightly differently from the usual "car hood chest, trunk feet" setup. As you can see I've had some problems getting the car parts to properly align on this mode. Knock Out wouldn't like having his sleek lines marred in such a way!

Poseability on the robot mode is pretty much the standard for Cyberverse Legion class toys, with ball jointed shoulders and hips having a good range of movement, but otherwise poseability is limited. Elbows would have been nothing short of amazing for this one, considering the emphasis on melee weapons.

Even so, I like the little guy. He's well worth his share of the price of admission, and is a fantastic likeness to Knock Out on the show. Check out the comparison with the Deluxe Class toy in the gallery, I would venture to say that the Cyberverse is the better likeness of the two versions.

[​IMG]
    The Energon Driller in Excavation Mode

The Energon Driller is the meat of the set. It's nice and show accurate, a large, beefy vehicle with a drill making up over half the vehicle mode length. The Driller has two modes - an "excavation" mode and a "battle" mode, which consists of popping out a pair of missile launcher gunnery stations on the side treads. The transformation is more or less "one touch" - you pull back on a red switch at the rear of the vehicle to deploy the guns, and slide it back forward to store them again. Simple, but fun in its execution - the transformation has a lot in common with MASK and Stealth Force in the way the concept works, although loading the battle mode up with Cyberverse figures takes me back to the Action Master vehicles with their battle base modes.

[​IMG]
    The Energon Driller in Battle Mode, with Knock Out and a Vehicon

The other main feature of the set - beside it's spinning drill feature - is the "glowing Energon booster", a clear purple part with a red LED which can plug into the Cyberverse toy's clear weapons or the Commander class figures to make them look like they are "glowing" with energy. It's a nice concept, but it has mixed results when actually used on the toys - mostly, the LED is not strong enough to give more than a hint of red to anything plugged into it. Of the two Commanders I own, Megatron does get a nice red glow in the middle of his torso when the booster is plugged into his back. I tried Starscream's but due to the way his chest is painted you can't really see much of the glow in a photo - it is there, mostly it makes the left side of his chest glow a bit. Overall though it is a nice idea, and the red glow on a gun, like Starscream's arm cannon, does at least do a serviceable job of recreating the "weapon charging" effect from the show.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    The Energon Glow effect in action

The Energon Booster also plugs into the body of the drill itself, which allows it to make the drill itself glow red. This I like - it is a nice touch and it lights up the first clear purple segment very well. Contrary to my original comments, the hose can actually be stored in a flip up compartment, although this does not seem to be mentioned on the instructions. Many thanks to 2005 Boards member tikgnat for pointing this out

[​IMG]

Gimmicks aside, the Energon Driller has a whole lot of ports in both large 5mm and small sizes alongside c-clip rails, which really invites you to put as many weapons on the set as you can to load it up with guns. There are also, on fold down panels to the sides, connection points to attach this set to any of the other Cyberverse sets such as the Dark of the Moon Ark. It's a nice extra bit of added value, customisability, or whatever you want to call it - I call it a lot of fun :) 

[​IMG]
    The Energon Driller fully armed up with weapons. Starscream should have rode into battle on this in Triangulation and not the Scootypuff Junior!

Overall, the Energon Driller and Knock Out make for a great set. They are not the most complicated toys to ever come out in their pricepoint, but the set is a load of fun to mess about with, and it's loaded with play value for the younger fans (or older fans who want to introduce children to Transformers). Being able to take three Cyberverse toys of either size class means this is a great set if you are army building Vehicons as well - it gives them something to ride into battle on! I'm not though, so here's a picture of Megatron, Knock Out and a solitary Vehicon riding into battle on the Energon Driller to wrap up this review.

[​IMG]

Click here for the full gallery and more pictures

My apologies for the graininess on a few of the pictures demonstrating the light-up feature. It's frustratingly tough to properly illustrate something like that and deliver a decently clear picture!

Last edited: May 19, 2012
  2. UltraAlanMagnus

UltraAlanMagnus Page D'Ecriture Spy Cousin Jeice

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Good Review. Now Knock Out will have a chance to attack Dinkleberg.

3. Exodus

Exodus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Very cool, glad I'm collecting this line.

4. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i want 3 drillers.

5. closetrat

closetrat Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm gonna be back & forth on the CVL or DLX mold - need to see some more pics b/w the two...

6. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    Driller looks fun

Knock Out looks like a Knock Off

7. MetalicGrunt

MetalicGrunt Rust Proof Commando

News Credits:
    watch some 3rd Party company is going to be making booster powerup kits for Deluxe and Voyager.. I mean weaponizer class. If they upgrade the led output, might have a winner

8. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Love it. Knockout will come to work with me for my Cyberverse display. The driller can go to minicons for slave labor.

9. Stygian360

Stygian360 Well-Known Member

Sorry to appear daft, but who and/or what is "Dinkleberg"? I've heard reference to that character/person in another members sig, but have zero idea re: the reference.

Love the drill! And the idea of a light booster is kinda cool. Funny, the Prime line in all its various iterations seems to be about getting that light gimmick to work. Hopefully at some point Hasbro actually gets this working properly because so far, especially with the weapons on the Voyagers, I've been heartily unimpressed.

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Cyberverse Knockout looks better for a Cyberverse than the Deluxe as a Deluxe. That Drill is epic.

It's a stupid joke. Like "Steve." Knockout's voice actor was the father from Fairly Odd Parents, and I guess he hated somebody named Dinkleberg.

11. ElekTriC

ElekTriC Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    dinkeberg is the father of timmy turner :p  and is voiced by daran norris who is voicing knock-out from TF: Prime.

And he's the janitor from ned's declassified school survival guide.

TFP: Dinkleberg - YouTube

The driller doesnt have a second mode? :( 

12. puma

puma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i'm into this. Now show the Starjammer!!

13. rattraprules98

rattraprules98 AKA Chr0nus

News Credits:
    Well, no, Dinkleburg is Timmy's dad's rival.

14. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Haha, patience friend, I've got that one upstairs just waiting for me to get to it. Hoping to get it done and up over the weekend. Look forward to it!

15. Timesynch

Timesynch Go For Broke! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Neat! Wasn't aware of the plug-in light up feature. I think this attempt goes over a lot better than the failed Powerizer stuff. Megatron in particular looks nice all lit up on dark energon on the Driller. Knockout himself looks decent; nothing too mindblowing, but a tolerable effort.

16. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator

News Credits:
    I thought it was called Star Hammer??

Great review and pics, thanks!! Must have a driller for sure. :) 

17. UltraAlanMagnus

UltraAlanMagnus Page D'Ecriture Spy Cousin Jeice

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Dont Forget, Daran also voiced Cosmo the Green hair fariy. Speaking of which;

Megatron: Super Toilet.
    Knock Out: (Screams like Cosmo) So much Clogging.

18. Ellamin

Ellamin Heroes protect Freedom! not safety! BAKA!!

News Credits:
    I'd like to see it with an ark or deluxe figure

19. GAUGE

GAUGE Tin Foil Hats = Alternative Facts

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Vehicons need to come with the driller.

That is all.

I''ll be buying a few drillers to go with my vehicons.

20. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    Very cool!

It's a shame this light-up feature they've been trying to incorporate seems to work so poorly with just about every figure.