Heavy/Scratch: prime costume head

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Bumble Prime, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Bumble Prime

Bumble Prime all the time

hey im working on a prime costume and i just completed the head. its basically a modified batting helmet. i made the other parts of the helmet with cardboard and duck tape but i noticed it looked bad where the plastic met the tape, you could tell it was duck taped on.

well i ended up making all the duck tape lines directional which makes it look less like duck tape, but it still has a little texture that i dont like. from far away it looks perfect but up close i need a little more smoothness.

is there any kind of clear coat that i could buy that would be thick enough to smooth the overall texture out? ive seen some outdoor furniture paint that adds texture and i was wondering if you guys knew of anything like that would work.

im not necessarily going for smoothness but more of an overall fused one piece look to the helmet

[img=http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/8206/dsc01104pj9.th.jpg]

[img=http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/9138/dsc01107le4.th.jpg]

2. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

That's actually really cool!

I've seen a lot of Optimus Prime costume helmets, but this is the first one I've seen that really has a "style" to it. The emphasized elements (like the head crest) and the dramatic angles make this a step beyond the usual.

Nice work!

zmog

3. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

That's actually really cool!

I've seen a lot of Optimus Prime costume helmets, but this is the first one I've seen that really has a "style" to it. The emphasized elements (like the head crest) and the dramatic angles make this a step beyond the usual.

Nice work!

zmog

4. Bumble Prime

thanks... im doing my best to not make it huge, cuz im not very tall......and i dont wanna look like a bobble head. the facemask is a seperate piece with an elastic band that you put on first then slide the helmet part on.

but does anyone have anyideas what i can do to smooth this thing out?

5. Bumble Prime

thanks... im doing my best to not make it huge, cuz im not very tall......and i dont wanna look like a bobble head. the facemask is a seperate piece with an elastic band that you put on first then slide the helmet part on.

but does anyone have anyideas what i can do to smooth this thing out?

6. SamiWCP

SamiWCP Guest

Well, acrylics themselves are a very thick paint, that can be used in layers, and it would build up to cover that..You may want to try using like a spray paint can, as a primer coating almost, then once you get a few layers evenly on, sand it down, and repaint it.

7. SamiWCP

SamiWCP Guest

Well, acrylics themselves are a very thick paint, that can be used in layers, and it would build up to cover that..You may want to try using like a spray paint can, as a primer coating almost, then once you get a few layers evenly on, sand it down, and repaint it.

8. Drax

Drax The Dark Light

Cool it reminds me of like a proto version of the voice changer helmet

9. Drax

Drax The Dark Light

Cool it reminds me of like a proto version of the voice changer helmet

10. GTZippy

GTZippy New Member

How strong is it?

That head looks great. I myself am in the process of designing a Prime suit in Solidedge. I have been winning every costume contest I have entered in Atlanta for the past two years, but I will need a new costume this year because there are only 2 more major contests around the city that I have not won already. I don't know if you are familiar with the show Futurama but I built a seven foot tall Bender constume and I need to top it. I am curious, how sturdy is the head you have built. Most of the contests I have attended the past few years have been in party environments and my Bender has taken a lot of abuse. To let you know what I need to beat, here is a pic of my Bender suit.

http://gtzippy.googlepages.com/bender

I'm thinking about building Prime's legs out of plexi-galss of lexan and his arms out of toolbox grade plastic.

11. GTZippy

GTZippy New Member

How strong is it?

That head looks great. I myself am in the process of designing a Prime suit in Solidedge. I have been winning every costume contest I have entered in Atlanta for the past two years, but I will need a new costume this year because there are only 2 more major contests around the city that I have not won already. I don't know if you are familiar with the show Futurama but I built a seven foot tall Bender constume and I need to top it. I am curious, how sturdy is the head you have built. Most of the contests I have attended the past few years have been in party environments and my Bender has taken a lot of abuse. To let you know what I need to beat, here is a pic of my Bender suit.

http://gtzippy.googlepages.com/bender

I'm thinking about building Prime's legs out of plexi-galss of lexan and his arms out of toolbox grade plastic.

12. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    Wow, the prime helmet is good lookin', and that Bender is pretty amazing too.

13. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    Wow, the prime helmet is good lookin', and that Bender is pretty amazing too.

14. Bumble Prime

well considering that pretty much the entire thing is just cardboard covered in duct tape, its surprisingly sturdy. since all the duct tape is on it its pretty flexible too. the only thing im pretty sure would snap at a party would be the antenna, those are just cardboard.

but im thinkin about getting another batting helmet and some plastic sheets and covering the whole thing in plastic, or hell maybe even make an all plastic one with the the plastic fused together and sanded down

15. Bumble Prime

well considering that pretty much the entire thing is just cardboard covered in duct tape, its surprisingly sturdy. since all the duct tape is on it its pretty flexible too. the only thing im pretty sure would snap at a party would be the antenna, those are just cardboard.

but im thinkin about getting another batting helmet and some plastic sheets and covering the whole thing in plastic, or hell maybe even make an all plastic one with the the plastic fused together and sanded down

16. zopilote_z

zopilote_z Well-Known Member

Really cool, Man!

17. zopilote_z

zopilote_z Well-Known Member

Really cool, Man!

18. Bumble Prime

hey zippy, one problem im almost sure im gonna run into it making the shoulders broad on my costume. for it to look right, primes chest would pretty much have to engulf my whole torso, not leaving anything for the shoulders. so i may have to make the chest section smaller, which i dont think would be a problem because the helmet isnt that big. but i will definitley need some like platform shoes or something so make it taller.

also if you build the entire costume out of sturdy materials, its gonna be pretty bulky and cumbersome. im building the thing out of cardboard and if it gets too rowdy at the party, oh well, ill just get ratchet to build some more parts out of boxes

19. Bumble Prime

hey zippy, one problem im almost sure im gonna run into it making the shoulders broad on my costume. for it to look right, primes chest would pretty much have to engulf my whole torso, not leaving anything for the shoulders. so i may have to make the chest section smaller, which i dont think would be a problem because the helmet isnt that big. but i will definitley need some like platform shoes or something so make it taller.

also if you build the entire costume out of sturdy materials, its gonna be pretty bulky and cumbersome. im building the thing out of cardboard and if it gets too rowdy at the party, oh well, ill just get ratchet to build some more parts out of boxes

20. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That rocks.