"Prime can't be a flat nosed truck"

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Scraggin, May 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scraggin

Scraggin Banned

This is one thing that's said a lot that the more I think about it, makes no sense.

For a start, Bumblebee is a 70s Camaro. The TFs wouldn't know how common or old a vehicle is, more than likely, when they scan it.

Secondly, some flatnosers are ENORMOUS. The Peterbilt isn't as big as you think. Some Australian Kenworths are just as big.

Thirdly, have any of you watched Spider-man 3? Note the Truck that Sandman appears out of? What kind of Truck is that!? Not just any flat nose either, it's a Freightliner. An Optimus Prime truck! Do you really think anyone in the cinema thought "Hold on, that's an OLD truck! It must be a ROBOT IN DISGUISE!".

I think long nose trucks are just too awkward to Transform. As you can see Prime's one of the more awkward designs to recreate in toy form. Flatnoses are bricks you can just take any part you like out of. Not that I don't like his current movie Truck, I've grown to really like it, but it's not the only way he can look.

2. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    flatnoses are bricks, exactly like you said.. brick transformation = dull

3. Scraggin

Scraggin Banned

There was never a problem with it before. I wouldn't call Masterpiece Prime's Transformation dull.

The way I'd imagine it being done is like G1 Prime, except the sleeper cab turns into his crotch and legs(joins with the rig of the truck).

4. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I personally love his design the way he is. As for Bumblebee being a '74 Camero to begin with, he came here when the car was brand new and has been on earth for a while before the rest of the Autobots show up.

5. Scraggin

Scraggin Banned

Nope, read the movie prequel.

6. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    No matter what, I don't think it's a valid argument. If everything in the movie was like G1, people would be complaining that it was "ripping of" the origionals. Realistically you can't make everybody happy.

7. NothingHead

NothingHead Well-Known Member

As I said before, the only real limitations here was the imagination and creativity of the designers. Any design, or any alt-mode, could have been made to work, if they had really tried. Of course, who knows what kind of obtuse input and parameters were placed on them by team leaders and producers, but all we've heard about is the limitations, why they just can't do this or that.

I guarantee that if Bay or Spielberg insisted that these robots look recognizable, or that their original alt-modes had to be made to transform into X-foot-tall robots, then they would have figured out a way to make it happen.

A lot of folks are missing a big point here. They don't look the way they look or transform into what they transform because that's the way it all had to be, or because they wanted a new design aesthetic. They look that way because accuracy wasn't an important issue to the production team. Really, I'd say that would be okay, as long as the focus was on a solid script, seasoned cast, or reliable director that knew and respected the 20+ years of source material, but, y'know..

8. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Movie Megs eats your soul

News Credits:
    Which one?

Exactly, there is more than one way to do Optimus Prime, and he doesn't always have to be a flat box track, nore is it a first.
    Plenty would argue in favor of long nosed truck Primes anyway (Generation 2 Laser Rod/RID Scourge, G2 Hero Prime, both Armada Primes were styled after long nosed trucks)

9. NothingHead

NothingHead Well-Known Member

I don't think that's true. Look at the recent Spider-man 3. The new designs for Venom, the Goblin, and the black suit fell flat, but everyone loved the Sandman, with his permed flat-top and 50's enforcer-styled shirt. Or with how a faithful adaptation of the source material made Lord of the Rings a cinematic masterpiece, whereas how a drastic "re-imagining" of the design, aesthetic, and origin, along with a cast of flavor-of-the-month actors and a hit-or-miss director, created Godzilla, one of the most infamous flops in cinema history.

10. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Can't remember if it was Bay or Murphy, but one of them stated that the longnose design gave them some additional height they wanted for Prime. One can choose to disagree with their assessment, but that's why the decision was made.

Since Prime has already been a longnose in half a dozen incarnations (G2 Laser Prime, G2 Hero Prime, and both Armada Primes & their repaints), it's not too great a change from the norm. I find the Freightliner look a bit antiquated, so longnose is a good decision from my perspective.

11. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I personally loved the newer looks to the Goblin, Venom, the Black suit, and Godzilla. And this comes from a huge fan of the Spiderman comics. I used to read them when I was a kid, and Venom was my favorite character.

12. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree. I don't recall any quote from any member of the production that says, "Prime can't be a flat nose truck" like they say "Megatron can't be a gun."

All they ever said was he wouldn't be a flatnose truck. It's a slight, but distinct, difference.

13. OmegaVPrime

OmegaVPrime Uhm, yea? So what?

Ebay:
    I think to the point, prime is prime, even if he was a flat nose, it is blocky but for "height reasons I think being the leader seems to be more fitting to be more taller and seemingly iconic.

Or go with what I said last time, megs is the leader but smaller which makes him seem more powerful and menacing. All the same I wouldnt care if prime was a tonka, he is prime :) 

14. Scraggin

Scraggin Banned

Err, how could it be "Ripping off" the originals? It's not a seperate entity. It's not like someone's making someone like Transformers and ripping off G1.

The way it is, a lot of people are upset and alienated. Not being able to make anyone happy isn't an excuse for how little they've tried.

I see no reason why Ironhide, Starscream(with a smaller Jet), Ratchet and Megatron couldn't have looked more like their most recognisable counterparts. A new design should still be recognisable.

But that's not really anything to do with the topic at hand. If it is, it's ridiculous, making Prime a flat nose truck won't make people think it's a rip off of G1.

15. Scraggin

Scraggin Banned

Actually, Venom was pretty much the McFarlane version, He has the veined webbing but it's not that noticable. The problem is the Spider emblem is grey instead of white so it doesn't show up. I'm hoping he turns up in the sequel, "evolved" into a better, less human design.

I think most people really liked Spider-man 3, just the critics(both professional and self fashioned) weren't so fond of it. Of course, that'll affect it's aftersales. I mean, I really enjoyed it and was quite shocked that people didn't like it.

16. Maximus_Prime

Maximus_Prime Graphicon

News Credits:
    Bay's reasoning behind not making Prime a "cab over" or flat nose semi truck is because he said he couldn't get the right size with it. He had already said that he wanted all the parts to show in robot mode and that if it was a cab-over style truck that he couldn't get the size he needed for it. I think Prime looks really good and i'm really excited for the movie.

yeah Bumblebee reformats into the Camaro in the movie prequel #3 comic. If you haven't read them yet I highly recommend it

17. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

It's too late, the final cut of the movie has been made, arguing is pointless now.

18. Simian

Simian Biscuits and Gravy....???

News Credits:
    Sheeeezzz.....

Are people just trying to rehash old arguments / complaints because there is nothing better to do.....Prime isn't a flat nosed cab over..he is a semi....deal with it...BB is not a VW Beetle deal with it... This is the Transformers in the year 2007...not 1984 when they were a cartoon made of cubes, rectangles, spheres and various other fundamental geometric shapes...DEAL WITH IT!!!

This is the way Transformers should have always been...

:horse: 

19. Scraggin

Scraggin Banned

I don't care what he said - a cabover with a sleeper is just as big as a Peterbilt. I never said Prime didn't look good, I'm just saying that the people saying he could only be a long nose is wrong.

20. Scraggin

Scraggin Banned

These kind of posts are exactly why people are so upset to begin with.

What a complete load of shit, honestly. How does "this is 2007" justify the specific kinds of changes they're making? How is that even what the topic is about? Do you even care to read or do you just love GEEWUN bashing so much it doesn't matter? Some of it just sounds so brainwashed at this stage. It's easy for you to say DEAL WITH IT, anyway, since you like the changes. What unfortunate circumstances are there for you to deal with? How can you type that kind of rubbish and not realise this, and how provocative it is? Even if it was on topic, none of that is a good argument - 1984 = geometric shapes, 2007 = scrap heaps is completely non sequitor. NOBODY was EVER asking for box robots, in fact I even found Classics too boxy. Almost everyone was asking for or presuming an alternators-like aesthetic. If what you say holds through - why aren't Gundams and other jap robots following the same design decisions these are? They're getting sleeker, not showing all their wiring.

And you know what?

This topic was pointing out that Prime could have been a cabover. Nothing to do with the movie aesthetic. I never said he HAD to be a cabover, but a lot of people like you have been insisting he can't. When I saw a Freightliner being the centre of an important scene in Spider-man 3, evidence that older vehicles are acceptable in big budget hollywood movies, I decided to post this as it's new evidence not just beating the same old horse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.