Prime and Megs FE vs RiD

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by zeroomegazx, Feb 22, 2012.

1. zeroomegazx

zeroomegazx I'm watching you...

News Credits:
    So I have both Primes and DX/Voyager Megatron from FE and RiD, and boy am I dissapointed in RiD:

+Prime vs Prime
    -FE is WAY more screen accurate in both modes
    -FE has no crappy gimmicks and show accurate weapons
    -FE has no crappy clear plastic for NO reason
    -RiD does have a more *real* transformation, no fake windows or shoulderpads, however the transformation itself is much weaker and his bot mode suffer a lot more kibble
    -RiD weapons are HILARIOUS.... The sword is decent but doesnt look anything like any other prime has ever used
    -RiD Truck mode is almost super deformed looking
    = All this being said the RiD isnt a horrible figure if we would have gotten it without FE. The blue forarms can be colored with a red sharpie to look MUCH better. Weapon wise though he suffers greatly, would be nice if soomeone coudl repro the guns from FE.

+Megatron vs Megatron
    -Overall the differences here are much less than the primes
    -FE DX Megs is great, everything fits well quite a complex transformation
    -FE Fusion cannon is much better and sleeker looking
    -FE jet mode looks much better than RiD Version
    -RiD Megs backpack is a pain to work with and display, isnt nice and compact like FE, it has wings that can you cant do much with
    -RiD Gun is HUGE and looks very bloated due to sword and light gimmick
    -RiD Jet mode is a mess, hands stick out, legs dont fit right as wings, shoulder pads get in the way
    -RiD extra hand weapon is garbage and we have yet to see it in the show
    =Overall He is much better than RiD Prime, he is way worth the price if you can find him but I do like the more complex and show accurate FE DX Megs a lot better.

2. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    I like the RiD voyager Megatron, but when I compare him against the FE Deluxe Megatron - the deluxe really wins out - in terms of overall look and transformation. Plus the fusion cannon on the deluxe is really just about right.

3. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    This is actually a really good rea, but the scale for Voyager Megs alone just puts it as tops for me personally. I wish I had a deluxe jsut to have though.

4. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko °-{[●□●]}-° {Beep. Boop.)

Personally, to me it sounds like you are going out of your way to hate the RID toys.

5. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Toy Industry Analyst

News Credits:
    Every problem FE Megs has is present on RiD Megs, and then some. The only real pluses I can say about RiD Megs over FE Megs is that he has size and he doesn't have random splotches of different grays over his body.

6. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Actually the translucent forearms are part of the gimmick you just harped on.

7. zeroomegazx

News Credits:
    Yes they are, but the translucent forearms really stick out as something separate. Its a gimmick without a gimmick. They do not light up or do anything special they are just clear for no appearant reason.

8. zeroomegazx

News Credits:
    I also have RiD Wheeljack and he is superb. Soundwave also looks excellent but I haven't grabbed him yet. Although both seem as they were designed with the same premise as the FE line there is no way to prove it. But yes RiD Wheeljack is great.

9. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    You're right about the scale - that's the reason I display my PRiD Megatron with Starscream and Soundwave. He scales much better with them than the deluxe.

The voyager would have GREATLY benefitted from some of the silver paint that the deluxe used, to go with the "brushed metal" texture it has. If you have a chance to score a deluxe, take it. The deluxe is really fantastic.

10. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    I'll take you up on that and find one, because at very least it can be a nice reference for customizing the RID one.

11. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko °-{[●□●]}-° {Beep. Boop.)

Was more so saying, in terms of the comparison you are going out of your way to hate the RID Prime, and Megatron.

Instead of thinking them as failure successors to the Original molds, think of them as stand alone figures.

12. zeroomegazx

News Credits:
    Thats the problem, I don't think of them as stand alone figures, I think of them as a corporate decision to make a toyline more accessible to what they think its audience wants and in doing so remade the toyline. Want proof? Takara is releasing Deluxe Megatron in the RiD Line, as well as Zombie Cliffjumper. Until I see proof I am going with my gut as with many others in saying the FE molds were meant for RiD but Hasbro chickened out last minute because of complaints from parents/focus groups that they were too hard. Its the only way any of this makes sense, making 2 molds of characters like they did and keeping much of the tooling in the 2nd molds but cheapening them.

I'm not telling you that you have to hate RiD but as I see it many of the first wave is dumbed down FE.