Prime, and his super modes.

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Psychrome86, May 23, 2006.

1. Psychrome86

Psychrome86 Well-Known Member

I remember reading on here somewhere about "why does every new prime need to combine with his trailer now?? he just needs a gun and a chip on his shoulder"

I think back to the diaclone toys. "Prime" came with a trailer that was just a trailer. Then there was "Ultra Magnus." Did takara initially have the magnus trailer or the prime trailer in mind for the cab?

Then i wonder why Hasbro made the choices they did. Imagine they switched the toys around. Giving prime a super mode in the first place and thus making it the rule to give prime a super mode. Imagine they named him Magnus...

2. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

Originally Magnus was called Powered Convoy in the Diaclone toys. He was a supermode for Prime, but they made him a different character when the toys were reused in Transformers.
    The reason he has a supermode now is twofold:
    1. The trailer has to do something.
    2. Kids like supermodes.

3. optimus kimchee

optimus kimchee Well-Known Member

After Ginrai came out (Powermaster Prime, whatever) I guess everyone liked it since then, go 80's dictating the 2000's, w00t!

4. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Think about it- the trailer's gotta do something, right? Energon Prime's trailer is a boring piece of crap. Who the hell wants it? Probably can't even give the damn thing away. Better that he combines and the trailer is useful, especially if he looks better cominbed than solo (like Cyb Prime).

5. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

I always preffered a battlestation, to a supermode. Even better, if the base has lots of little gadgets for bots to interact with. A little six wheeled drone, is always a plus. ;) 

The trailer could always be a seperate Transformer, itself. Something along the lines of Godbomber. (only with an alt mode, that looks like something) It could keep stupid rookies from running into the middle of duels, and getting taken hostage by the Decepticon leader.

6. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I prefer supermodes to battle stations cause I've yet to see a Battle station that worked and look cool.

Original OP - Classic I know, but it's just a box that opens up guys. Great 21 years ago, sucks now.

Powermaster OP - came the closest and it's been downhill since.

Action Master OP - That was just terrible.

Laser OP - While loaded for bear, just was not scaled with OP and had very little figure play abillity.

Machine Wars OP - The next-to-worst of the bunch. Ugly, hard to ballance and missing half of the stuff that made the original version a little better.

RID OP - Not really a battle station mode persay, just parts slaped together to make a communications tower.

Armada OP - Cool gimmick, but very ugly and bulky due to supermode pants built into it.

Energon OP - The absolute worst PoC of the bunch. Really, it tipped back and flipped out a few ramps and an antenna. :rolleyes2  I know they spent most of the devellopment money on the combining gimmick but damn, a little more thought could have been spent.

So that's why I prefer the Supermode. If they ever do make a Prime with a good Battlestation I will be amazed and buy two.

7. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    what made the 'box' great was not its gimmick in itself, but the fact it actually interacted with prime - medic bay - and the autobot cars - especially the launcer, thx to scale.

i think thats what the recent stuff is missing. interactivity in scale.

8. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I believe I like the best of both worlds. I''l always admire original G1 Optimus Prime for having nothing more than his weapons, wits and attitude.

Since Powermaster/Godmaster days, it's always a rush when the latest Prime powers up. I know many fans don't like Energon Prime, but Super Link Convoy looks awsome combined with Wing Saber in flight mode. He can even hold Star Saber's Blaster (when SS is combined with Victory Leo) I digress.

I've also noticed that most Primes since the original, spend a good deal of their time in "normal mode" with thier troops. It's only when things get tough do they look to combine with trailer and/or partner.:wink: 

Hasbro though, must have agreed that the trailer-only concept has limited player interest. Sadly why 20th Prime/MP Convoy didn't come with a real trailer.:cry 

9. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    I don't mind Cybertron Optimus's super mode at all

10. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ...eh...

Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. A nice Supermode is good, but I'd like to see a Prime without a supermode and just a nice battlestation trailer... doubt that would ever happen though, because the Classics Prime seems to not be getting a trailer which is a shame. The only well designed trailer that I can think of (as far as battle stations are concerned) is THS-02. That thing has a wicked trailer.

On the other hand, it's nice to have a nice supermode (like Cybertron Prime) where the supermode is well thought out and doesn't interfer with the rest of the figure. Also, it may not have an actual battle station, but the small little artillery platform it does make is nice.

11. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    Super Modes are not bad at all, I like them. But look how cool were Prime and Primal and they didn't need super modes. :thumb 

12. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I think Super modes are good, but used way too often. They really need to be a last resort thing only brought out to handle the really, really tough customers. In my ideal "no rules, write it your own way" type series, Prime wouldn't even get his Super mode until part way into the series, maybe around about episode 6 or 7. Before that we see him fighting without the Supermode, and even once he has it he tends to hold back on it for plot reasons (power needed / he fears that overusing it will cause unneccessary destruction and make him no better than the Decepticons).
    Bit like how Fortress Maximus is handled in Headmasters, even once he shows up he doesn't tend to show up every episode, but only when he's really needed. Half the time he'll try to fight Scorponok in battleship mode!

I digress, though. I don't see any problem with Optimus having some kind of power-up. My two favourite series of robots are the TF combiners and Brave, and Brave especially uses the whole "combine into super mode" idea a lot. Unfortunately, Optimus has inherited the inherent flaw from those shows as well, that he doesn't really use his smaller form all that often. I'd rather he actually fought in his small mode as well once in a while, if nothing else so that when he does bring the supermode out there's real drama and a sense of "wow, he's having a hard time with this one, but now he's going to supermode he'll turn the tide". That's something thats not done nearly often enough.

13. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I don't particularly give a rats ass about the cartoons anymore, I'm all about the toys these days.

Supermodes are pretty much a given now... Prime and his trailer/rear end MUST combine to form a bigger bot. These days I think Hasbro think the awe factor isn't enough, so Prime now combines with his entire army to fight, Wing Saber, Jetfire, Ultra Magus? I wait for the line when Prime has a secret combination with Megatron to take out Unicron.

On stuff we've seen, I thought that PM Prime's super mode was great looking (even if it was a brick) and his base mode was perfect for all those Nebulans and Micromasters kicking around back then. IMO, it worked better than Metroplex and Scorponok as a base. (I don't think us UKers ever got Trypticon or Fort Max).

RID's base mode sucked, what was it? A ladder mode? I liked the way they formed armour for Prime, but then these were made redundant when RID Ultra Magnus came out. (Redundant until you figured out how to combine ALL the bits).

Armada Prime's pants made a decent Minicon staging ground, not enough Minicon posts though, but yeah, the pants mode did sort of restrict it somewhat. I did love the self transform gimmick though, when it worked it always bought a smile to my face, loud whirring and all.

I was disappointed with Cyb Primes Base/artillery station, I know it all makes a nice Super mode, but really, the alt mode is totally an afterthought.

The thing about Primes trailer base, is it should never be in scale with Prime himself, don't even try IMO. Make it in scale with Micromasters/Minicons I say. Do that and you're away.

Imagine a Masterpiece trailer that converted solely to a Minicon base, complete wth lights and sounds? Something like that could do all the Minicon flip out gimmicks, gun stations, prison cells, HQ area, stores, Roller bay (with launcher, and Roller could actually seat Minicons.) everything you'd want in a base, without haveing to compromise the toy in any way, after all, all it needs to do is to fold up into a long box for Primes trailer.

14. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Super modes are ok with me. It's the whole magic super powers thing that I'm a little anoyed with. Transformers aren't super robots. I thought that's what Brave was for?

15. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Maybe it's the best form of competition against those Power Rangers

16. Neo-Bombshell

Neo-Bombshell Proudly Peruvian Transfan

News Credits:
    Well, I kinda like the alt modes when of course they are cool! :rock  I think one of the best ones was RID OP/Fire Convoy. It was very nice detailed and had tons of fun, only beaten by the combination with Ultra Magnus/God Magnus. I think that idea of combinig prime with another robot is really cool and creative.

17. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

I'm not too savvy on Prime's power modes (shouting out their attacks is one gripe I can't stand, ex: RID). I do like Cybertron Prime's the most.

18. Zylly

Zylly Member

I'd rather see a Prime along the lines of Star Convoy, where the whole truck, trailer and all, is just part of the same robot mode.

19. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah, they should try a new design like that. Might turn out cool.