PRID; why no store exclusives?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Skywarp SCS, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Skywarp SCS

Skywarp SCS AKA "Pretender Skywarp"

As above really, without this degenerating into a "store exclusives suck" or "I'd totally like to see Arcee as a Paradron Medic", I just wondered why there aren't any from a business/marketing perspective?

I was always under the impression that store exclusives were indicative of retailer interest, just look at ROTF and DOTM, some of them were even pretty good. Whilst I understand that we are in different times financially, I thought that Prime was doing pretty well in the greater scheme of things?

So, should we be worried that this portion of the franchise isn't getting the retail support it deserves or is this part of a new streamlined/simplified strategy by Hasbro in the current climate?

Your thoughts....

2. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm thinking support has been dialed back to basics in light of the rough economic climate.

3. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    The upcoming Battle shield Optimus Prime is a Japan TRU exclusive.

4. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:
    With TRU allegedly receiving two Masterpieces in the next few months, i think Hasbro are having a rethink on who they're targeting with exclusives.

More generally...i don't think U.S. sales of Transformers have lived up to their expectations in the last year or so... However realistic those expectations are... and WRT to Prime.... i think the Jury is out on how it's doing. Where i am at least, nothing is moving that fast, nevermind just putting it all down to BB.

5. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    I expect that there'll be exclusives soon enough. The line's still relatively young, and they want this specific franchise/continuity family to be the "THE" thing for the coming many years.

6. opt1musaber

News Credits:
    WRT stands for?

7. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hasbro has been saying for quite awhile they were dialing down store exclusives. considering their development cycle time frame we've finally caught up to that reality

8. Yaujta

Yaujta Broken. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    With how hard it is to find some of the mainline figures at normal retail, the lack of store exclusives may be a good thing.

9. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    exclusives tend to be repaints, and we are not at the point in the line where we would normally see a lot of repaints and/or exclusives.

10. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    If I'm not mistaken, With Regards To :) 

11. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    Exclusives are the latest trend in Asia right now, US seems to be just getting the masterpiece figures as exclusives.

And given how conservative their handling of the Prime toyline is until now, I'm not sure they want to be churning out exclusives left and right just yet.

12. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    I'm noticing that distribution for PRiD, at least in my area, is reaching Reveal the Shield levels. As in, see one or two waves and then...that's it. I know the Wal-Mart close to me has empty deluxe pegs except for a couple of Ratchets, and they've been there a while. Wal-Mart seems to get in voyagers every now and then (up to and including Bulk and Screamer), new Botshots now and then, and some new Cyberverse every once in a while. But nothing past the first few waves. And all the stores in the rest of the area are much the same, though there's more Bumblebees in other places.

I don't know how they're going to have exclusives at retail chains when the actual product is barely there to begin with.

13. WoundSave

WoundSave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They stopped doing store exclusives so they could focus on doing country-exclusives lines like those FE figures that never hit the states....

14. opt1musaber

News Credits:
    o_O 

15. Metroplex79

Metroplex79 Hey mouse, say cheese!

I'm sure a chain requested an exclusive for their store, but all Hasbro had on the drawing board was a darker yellow Bumblebee with red or blue stripes.

HAHAHAHA!!!

:p