Minor/Repaint: PRID Tailgate

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Rexidus, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Howdy all.

I bought FE Cliffjumper and then decided to get PRID Cliffjumper just to turn into Tailgate. It had been said Tailgate used Cliffjumpers body in Prime so I thought this an ingenious way to have both characters and yet be unique.

In the end I'm not in love with how this turned out. I'm satisfied with it but don't love it. My white paint kept drying on my brush really fast, like after one or two strokes (Tamiya white by the way). So the paint job isn't very good in my eyes. It works but isn't anything I'm all that proud of. On the plus side I seem to have practically no rubbing issues.

I'd say the end result is a Tailgate inspired by the show. I'll re-upload the huge picture I made of all the glimpses we saw of him. I chose to have the chest be just a chest rather than assume it to be part of the vehicle mode. This allowed me to have a white car with red on his chest.

I also like how his hammer turned out. Again, not spectacular but passable. This hammer is another reason I wanted to turn PRID Cliff into Tailgate; he has a unique weapon Cliffjumper did not have. I only did one coat of silver on it in places and the plastic underneath occasionally peeks through but it gives it a worn and used look in my eyes. This is FAR from weathering affects others have used (and I know roughly how to do it, just didn't do it) but I kinda dig it.

Also these shots show off the touch ups I did to Arcee (giggity) better than my cell phone pics did. I do love that figure. She's so emotive and with the pink screams Arcee.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. ironjazz

ironjazz Tie Fighter pilot

News Credits:
    awesome not sure about the head though

3. Rexidus

News Credits:
    I realized after I got the figure that the head wasn't Cliffjumpers head in the show, or at least wasn't a complete color swap of it. I didn't have any heads to replace it with that looked better.

Again this is an issue that I have diverged from what was shown and kinda dig the result. I originally planned on painting over the remnants of the horns but decided I liked it as it was. In the end the head has grown on me.

4. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Neat excutution mate!:thumb  However you should make the head different and also color the red parts into a different color like grey,black,etc just to help differantate him further from Cliffjumper. Other then that it's great and I hope Hasbro would do something like that in the future!

Also I like the pics that you have with Tailgate,Arcee,and Cliffjumper espically with her mourning over Tailgates body.

5. Rexidus

News Credits:
    In the show Tailgate had red on his head, that's why I left some on it.

6. kaijuguy19

News Credits:
    Oh well then what about the rest of his body? Does he have red in them too?

7. Rexidus

News Credits:
    I uploaded a huge picture in the first post that shows every glimpse we saw of him. I just didn't include it in the body of the post because it's huge.

But to answer your question, yes he has quite a lot of red on him. I wouldn't have left it on otherwise. If he didn't have red I would have used teal or green or something homaging his G1 and IDW self.

8. kaijuguy19

News Credits:
    Okay thanks! Just wondering that's all.

9. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nice work! Not to drift too much off topic, but I love the touch ups you did on Arcee- what color and type of paint did you use for the metallic rosy/pink highlights?

10. Rexidus

News Credits:
    No problem. Glad you like it. :) 

Thanks. For Arcee I simply used Tamiya Pink. That's all. Then painted some Future floor polish to seal it and protect it which gave it a bit of a shine.

11. Sinnertwin

Sinnertwin Banned

News Credits:
    Looks really good dude! I like how you kept the in-show red coloring while still pulling off a classic white altmode. Well done.

12. wtrz

wtrz papa bless

News Credits:
    Looks epic. Ive always imagined Tailgate with a viso, but it works. Well done. That goes for Arcee too. :thumb 

13. Rexidus

News Credits:
    Glad you guys like it. :) 

14. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

Looks pretty good.

15. Pimptimus_Prime

Pimptimus_Prime Banned

Tamiya can be fickle. You have to thin it with alchohol or it can dry up pretty fast. Love the work!

16. Rexidus

News Credits:
    Thanks everyone for the comments. I was concerned people wouldn't be too impressed with this since I wouldn't say it's my best work and I'm far from a prominent Radicon.

Even though I already said thanks I wanted to comment about the red and the white car mode. This was actually one of my main goals for the project. I really wanted to keep the red in there but knew I had to have a white car mode. Luckily the figure itself lends itself perfectly to accomplishing this. I'm pleased. :) 

Thanks for the tip. Next time I pull it out I'll pour a little of 99% Alcohol into the bottle. Hopefully that will help. I'm glad you like the repaint too. :) 

EDIT: Also if anyone wishes to comment on Arcee, I've got a thread for her here:
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/554946-prid-arcee-touch-ups.html

EDIT 2:
    Oh yeah I wanted to mention his back. The screenshots clearly show that he has a red back and I actually really like that I got that simply by painting only one side of the hood that fold over it. That little thing makes me smile.

17. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Bot mode needs more... some other color than red...

Otherwise, I'm digging it. Car mode looks good.

18. Rexidus

News Credits:
    Well what we saw in the episode was a lot of white, red, and black. I left the gray of the figure and some of the red.

What would you have done to try and make something recognizable as Prime Tailgate? I'm legitimately curious. I can take constructive criticism.

19. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Ok. I'm not trying to be overly critical or anything, just giving my honest opinion on the toy. :) 

I'd paint his entire lower leg ( from the knee down ) white, as well as the rest of the chest. Considering it's supposed to be the roof of the car, and the roof of the car is completely white, it should match. I think that would go a long way. Just my opinion, but I think red should be his accent color. It's still too dominant as it is now.

20. Rexidus

News Credits:
    I can accept constructive criticism so I take no offense.

These a couple reasons I did the chest as I did. First off, in the show it seemed like his chest probably was a lot more red than what I did. We never see the front of it but basically every angle we see him from it looks red. But I didn't want to have a solid red chest for him. That would make him look even more like Cliffjumper. So I looked at some other versions of the character and they generally have a white segment on the teal/green chest. So I wanted to invoke that a little.

But, secondly, we do see a lot of red on his chest. I knew I wanted a completely white alt mode so those two things would be mutually exclusive. But since this figure is already cheating with a fake chest I decided to just throw out the concept that his chest is the roof of the car. This allowed me to consider other ways to do the chest. You see what I decided to go with. I went with that because it shows red, white, and a bit of black to break things up.

I'll admit the chest isn't the strongest part of this but hey, I was experimenting.

The legs, well the show showed them as being nearly all red. By leaving them like that I think it got closer to what we saw. If I had painted them white I was starting to get concerned there was too much white. It could have worked I think but then it would have been against the show and again I'm not sure I wanted that much white on him. I don't know. This is probably a situation where I don't think there is a right answer.

Bah, perhaps I'm over analyzing things. I'm still satisfied with it. Red was a very dominant color in what we saw of him.