Minor/Repaint: PRID Bulkhead

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by bulkheaded, May 26, 2012.

1. bulkheaded

bulkheaded Well-Known Member

Another 30 minute custom from yours truely, just finished it, well nowhere near finished but as far as I feel like going today lol. Let me know what you think. :)  Yes that is the same wrecking ball he comes with. I rigged it for now with a sucker stick and electrical tape after breaking it off from that mech-tech gimmicky thing. coated it in silver, then lined it using a sewing needle and watered down paint. More improvements to come!

Attached Files:

2. aledromo

aledromo Decepticon at the Gate

Needle, huh? That's really clever. Nice job.

3. aledromo

How did you do the distressed paint look on the ankles?

4. Eddie26

Eddie26 Well-Known Member

I want to ask the same, the metalic parts on the green area, like a little damage or used. And great custom mate, really fast and good, jeje :thumbs2: 

5. Fartini

Fartini Banned

Just drybrushing it on basically except there's no under/base coat of paint it looks like. If the figure is cleaned good it will stay but if it gets handled a lot without a protective layer it will rub away over time.

6. bulkheaded

Thank you for all the compliments. For the stressed look I took some silver paint and a semi-paint clogged brush, lol, and wiped it until the paint was almost drie then applied it from the edges upwards, and then in some places where it was more likely to be weathered. I currently work as a mudlogger in the oil field so my supplies are limited. My customs take about 30-45 minutes, some are longer, but I just do them to pass the time. My supplies are paint markers, which I bleed out onto a tuna can lid, a sewing needle (tattoo needles work as well), a small brush that I've had for about 2 years, water, paper towels, a lighter (heating up paint can change density and color), a sharpie, and fast orange cleaner (cleans excess paint from those "oops" areas and cleans out the brush quickly). When doing a distressed look I find it better to mix one cap (equivilent to a tattoo ink cap) of gloss black and two caps of silver, then swipe your brush against a hard surface until it seems as though almost all the paint is off of it, then gently "flake" it from the edge upwards (or downwards) until you get the desired effect. For other areas i just barely brushed along the surface then with the needle tip I etched the surface just enough to add depth to the damage. I hope this helps. I hope I can be an inspiration to many that you do not need a full setup or studio to customize, however I am working towards that. The vision is in front of you, all you have to do is make it a reality. Good luck to everyone. i am an amateur myself (2-3 years added time) but you get better with practice :) 

7. aledromo

Great stuff. Thanks. My studio includes a red disposable beer cup, a razor blade and a plastic water bottle lid. I love hearing about similar setups!

Time to go find something to test-weather.

8. closetrat

closetrat Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Finally some love for the RID mold!

Nice work on Bulkhead here, are you gonna add more details & can we get a pic of the alt mode?

9. bulkheaded

More detail? Yes, I do my customs between collecting rock samples and my off time and sleep lol, and an alt mode pic will be up shortly :)  as far as rubbing off, I do not have a good clear coat yet, after it is applied the weathering should hold up just fine :) 

10. MPrime10

MPrime10 Boomsticks.

Yup, I actually use the end of a toothpick. It's great for paiting eyes without smudges around them.

11. bulkheaded

A toothpick? How does the paint hold on it? Also any good suggestions on clear coat? Looking for something at wal-mart or lowes. (No hobby lobby around here)

12. Fartini

Fartini Banned

Yep, you're drybrushing. Just in a different way. You've adapted it to your surroundings and worked with what you had which is impressive considering where you're doing it. I couldn't tell any difference though from "regular" old customizing. :)  Fast Orange is some pretty mean stuff though. Does it wear your brush out quickly? I use alcohol myself and it does after a while.

13. aledromo

I'm so embarrassed I never thought of these things. Love this board.

14. aledromo

Future floor polish works great. $7 at your local Walmart. Self leveling. Tough. Even can hide an occasional brush stroke.

15. bulkheaded

Not at all if you keep it under warm running water, works like a charm. And lol, yup I work with whatever I can find, I've used twigs and cotton before, it's all about the passion for the universe that is transformers and the passion that is art. Also dawn dish soap works great with a sponge for getting semi dry paint off of those "oops" areas also.

16. aledromo

Are you guys using the alcohol/orange as your thinner and brush cleaner?

17. Fartini

Fartini Banned

Pledge with Future Floor Finish, in the cleaning aisle. It's the best. You can make clear paint with it, fix ball joints, ect. It's a very good clear and dries rock hard after about 48 hours, you can flash dry it with a hair dryer though to be able to handle the custom somewhat.

18. bulkheaded

I use dawn, fast orange, water and zippo fluid as thinners and cleaners. Just depends on what I have in reach at the time lol. And future floor? Is it a brush application and will it make paint run? Also for my ball joints I take a small tear of paper, chew it til it's soft, stick it in the socket, re-attach limb and voila', instant tight joint without permanent mods.

19. Fartini

Fartini Banned

Brush or airbrush application and no. You can remove it with Windex or alcohol so it is not permanent either but good tip. It's magic, you'll see. :thumb 

20. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

I'm liking this so far. His wrecking ball looks great.