Customs: Pricing and selling customs

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by zgraham, Jan 31, 2009.

1. zgraham

zgraham Well-Known Member

I have gone a little customs crazy and my toy room is filling up. I am thinking of selling some. I would also like to get a little extra money to buy some more paints and materials. I was wondering how everyone prices their customs. I don't want to get rich. I would be happy to break even. I am new and still learning, so these aren't the greatest customs on the planet. I have several posts in the customs section, if you would like to see my work. I would like to try and stay away from ebay. Anyone have any luck selling on the boards? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

by their awesomeness :)  personly, when i sell something, i always sell it on ebay and start them at a penny with no reserve. i want the buyer to pay what they think the custom is worth to them. i enjoy making them and giving other people who cant/dont make customs a chance to own some.

i've only posted 2 customs 4 sale here on the boards, and they were classics thundercracker and wheeljack. i had them priced at like $40.00 a piece or so and they sold pretty fast. so i would def. say give a shot at selling some here. hope this helps and good luck.

btw, u have any large customs? i'm a sucker 4 big transformers

3. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I agree with selling them on eBay. Assuming the custom is nice enough and you took GOOD pictures, you should at very least break even on the cost of the figure. Getting money back from your time input is a rarity it seems in customizing.

4. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Generally speaking, making any kind of "artwork" is defined as skilled labor (as in not everyone can do it well). That being said, here are a few basic guidelines to follow [and Radicons, feel free to chime in to add]:

1. Consider your cost. Your materials cost you money. You should tally this up before anything else. Paints + toy, and other materials used. When making anything, you've spent the most precious, limited resource to consider . . .
    2. Your time. Keep track of how long it took you to create the piece. $10/hr is a good base price for skilled labor. You can run into a snag here if you don't watch things though. If it takes you 4 weeks to paint a basic, you may just spent more time on the piece that what it is worth to others. Also, this is actual time spent working on it, not how long from start to finish it took you to make it. When you sit a piece down and finish you work for the time being, you've essentially "clocked out".
    3. Supply/demand will dictate what your piece may be actually worth. Unless you are making a piece for someone specifically who just happens to like Animorphs, trying to charge a premium price (despite you cost) may find you empty handed. If you still hang onto the Animorph, some would say you're still empty handed, but that's another discussion. A tool that will help you some with this is . . .
    4. ebay. Many artists have seen a lot of success with an online auction. However, don't let this fool you. While many have been able to cash in and do so well, if you start an auction for $0.01 and only one person bids $1.00, you're legally obligated to sell your hard work for that low price if that's what it goes for. While that may not happen, it's remotely possible anyways. I'm sure many others could discuss the intricacies of ebay auctions moreso than I, since I've never posted an auction.
    5. Use the board here! We now have a place within Radicons to sell your things. :) 
    6. Discuss things with fellow artists and listen. You started this thread, so you're on the right track with this one. :) 

5. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

i have to echo this ebay is great and all but i have had limited success on ebay and i think it is for three reasons

1. not many people outside of radicons know my work

2. i have not built that extra special giant transformer YET :lolol  (notice emphasis on the word yet)

3. lack of promotion i only promote my work on this site and maybe another one occasionally

if you have an original cross over those seem to do OK on ebay. as well as large scale
    one thing that i have had to learn to deal with is. flash over substance. in other words if it has mass appeal it will do well. quality unfortunately is second to this. candy ,sparkle and bigger than life brings in the dough.

this is only my 1st years experience though. others have been selling for more years than me and will have more to offer

6. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay is a funny place.
    If your a "Superstar" you can pull the mad cash down,
    but most people on Ebay have no idea what it takes to make the most basic of customs TF or Non TF.
    I put my BW:Ani Megs on ebay and it only got a highest bid of $112.50,
    my reserve was $200. Some would say that a little high to aim.
    But when you take into account everything I put into it, $200 would be my break even point.
    I would never sell one of my customs without a reserve.
    Most of the time you will get caught with your "pants down".
    I know people don't like reserves because it detracts bidders, but if we all started putting reveres on our work,
    people would get use to the idea. As long as the reserve is fair, I see no reason not to have one.
    Some people just want a cash grab & those are the people that make reserves a bad thing.
    You can call me bitter about a "bad" ebay experience if you want, but I'm not.
    I know what my work is worth & I will set the price for what I sell it at.

That's my :2c: . I could be wrong, but i doubt it.

7. zgraham

zgraham Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input everyone. I was just hoping to break even on figure and materials. I had too much fun making them, so I didn't figure on adding my time. Ebay seems a little scary for someone who is not one of the "known" customizers. I have seen quite a few that sold for less that even the basic figure cost. I also make custom GI Joes. I have a lot of different Viper repaints. The thing with those are they take forever to do, so many little parts to paint and repaint. I am afraid that if I ask the same for a deluxe TF that I do for a Joe, someone will look at me crazy. Here are a couple of the Joe customs.

Attached Files:

8. anovasinn

your not bitter its a weird market.

hey man those customs look great

9. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Conciseness ftw!

[Grammar took the side car, though :poke  (see above) :wink: ]

10. anovasinn