Price check threads-why have them?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by 03Mach1, Jul 1, 2010.

1. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Can someone shed some light on this for me? I see them all the time and have yet to understand how individual opinions can me more accurate than an average of completed ebay auctions. Wouldn't it be simpler to log on to ebay and search the completed auctions?

2. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

People ask due to current inflation and deflation rates of the value of a toy. People also wanna know what the toy is ideally worth to avoid getting ripped off.

3. 03Mach1

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Correct. But the actual market value of an item is best discerned from multiple recent purchases. Ebay is the largest market available (worldwide) and the most current.

4. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

More people may find this forum as a more trusted source than ebay.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  5. zealottoyou

zealottoyou Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    People are not going sell on the board if they want to charge ebay price.

6. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Movie Megs eats your soul

News Credits:
    And eBay isn't an entirely accurate gauge as well. As different factors will have a different effect on a given value at a given time.

For example, Generations wave 1 was selling at premium a few months ago because of early samples. Now, those same toys some bought for triple or more retail is now available at TRU for retail.

Or maybe a better example might be movie 1 toys, whose prices have flunctuated due to what has been offered in the second movie toyline.

7. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

Ebay is not a reliable price source. There are multiple factors that determine the ending price of tfs on ebay, of which "I must win this auction!!" mentality that kicks in, is one of the most important.

Also (overinflated) BIN prices put out by some sellers are enough for other sellers to go "Hey, that guy is selling the same toy for xxxx amount of money. I'll do the same." The more similar prices you see makes you think that is the correct price.

8. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

As I'm new to collecting TF's, I don't know exactly how much a particular figure is worth. I find it very useful asking questions here so I won't be paying too much for a particular figure.
    The more we learn, "hopefully" the less questions we'll ask as we go on.

9. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    This. Also there's the fact that sometimes you can't find eBay listings for the item you're trying to price. That's what happened to me before Botcon when I tried to look up Star Saber prices to see how much one would run me, couldn't find a listing for one at the time.

10. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

Exactly,there are way too many scalpers on ebay to get any kind of an accurate price range.

11. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    Because we are more knowledgeable about toys than some schmuck on Ebay.

12. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'll agree some of the "what is it worth" threads are pointless if the item is new. The "Hey, what is ROTF Ravage worth!!!" doesn't make much sense because its worth 10.99 or whatever retail is plus since its at retail, your better off just holding onto it.

For older stuff, yeah i'd ask what its worth. Look at all those vintage Star Sabers on ebay with a buy it now of 650 dollars. Are they selling for that much? Probably not but it does impact the perception of its worth as someone else pointed out earlier.

"Star Saber is 650 on ebay??? Hell yeah, i'll sell it on TFW for 649.99."
    lol

13. 03Mach1

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    But that's why I clearly stated that an average of completed auctions would be a good gauge. Obviously ridiculous buy it now prices shouldn't be taken into account. Items are worth only what someone is willing to pay.

14. TheToyAddict

TheToyAddict Well-Known Member

Correct, which is why if you look at the ended items that have sold for an actual amount as opposed to simply looking at asking prices, you will get an accurate picture of current market value. If there are 10 sellers trying to get $1200 for a G1 Fort Max, but the last 10 actual sold G1 Fort Max's have sold between $800 and $1000, then $800 to $1000 is the current market price.

A lot of times when you ask around here, you will get people's opinions of what they think a toy is worth as opposed to its actual current market value. Some people might think a G1 Fort Max is the greatest toy ever and is worth $1500. Others might think it's a huge brick thats not worth $200.

Despite the fact that Ebay is the largest secondary marketplace out there for Transformers, there are many people biased against it and think everything there is overinflated and while that may be their opinion, Ebay sales basicly set the market prices for Transformers.

The OP is right, if you want to know a toys current value, just look at the completed items on Ebay.

15. GreenScream

GreenScream Neo G1 Collector

News Credits:
    You're right, sometimes they'll charge even more. Which I've never quite understood since you're not paying any fees to ebay or paypal by selling on the boards. But it's a free market so whatever.

But I do agree with the OP, the best method would be to look at completed auctions and average them out to get a price range. And yes, ignore, the ridiculous buy-it-now prices that have stayed there for months.

16. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    It seems like virtually everyone on the first page missed the word "average" in 03Mach1's OP.

If you use an AVERAGE of the completed auctions for the same toy as an estimate of its current worth, you'll be pricing the toy (for purchase or for sale) at around the market value. In this case, the most accessible, most brutally honest source for determining average market value IS EBAY, through the process described above (both by 03Mach1 and I.)

Because transactions move so fast on eBay, I think they do a pretty good job of doing two things:

1. Highlighting the current demand for a toy
    2. Showing demand trends for that toy

If you look at the sale price of classics Rodimus over the past month, you'll notice that he went for relatively high BEFORE the Sons of Cybertron set and the cartoony re-release threads showed up here on TFW...now he's going, on average, for a bit less.

I guess my main point is that, yeah, I agree with 03Mach1. It might be nice to do a price DOUBLE-CHECK on certain figures you're buying/selling, but using the completed auctions checker on eBay is probably the best first stop for determining average market value. As such, having a devoted "price check" thread may not be that useful.

17. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I dont really use TFW for an accurate price gauge. When I have tried to sell stuff here, people really do low ball the living shit out of you. I'm not saying this happens all the time, but the majority of the offers I get blow my mind.

18. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

I agree that ridiculous BIN prices should be ignored, but looking at completed listings is also not an accurate price gauge, because people tend to pay more when doing auctions, so the final price is mostly over the upper range for a tf. (it's always "another $ won't matter much", then another guys bids an extra buck, then you feel the need to add an extra buck because "another $ won't matter much", and so on and so on...). But I do agree that looking at completed listing can give you a certain close estimate of the price range.

19. combaticon164

combaticon164 Warlord of Floriduh

Ebay, like Toy Addict said, is the "Becket" price guide for Transformers. Yes you can get better price sometimes from outside sellers, but they know what it goes for out in the market ie ebay. But, it comes down to the buyer using his judgement when trying to bid or purchase an item.

20. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Yeah, but most of the time with rarer stuff people start the auction high already. Sellers don't start it at 99 cents anymore, like in the old days. I'm mainly just advocating for the older/rare stuff because it never hurts to know what other people paid for the item.

For example, give me a combined list of all the Jafcon Black Megatron's that have sold on ebay over the past 3-12 months. That lists consists of... 0...

I have one but just out of curiosity I wanted to know how much they go for on ebay. I paid 150 for mine (Which I thought was a steal) overseas a few years back. What is it worth now? I dunno....

We both agree, the "What does it cost" thread's are excessive if its newer stuff but don't frown on all of them. A lot of members on this forum are very knowledgable with higher priced items I.E. all our Malaysia members and G1 Junkie because they routinely go out after the high priced stuff. I'd ask them how much a rare vintage headmaster is worth over what ebay says.

Hell, remember all the Reverb/Gunbarrel auctions? The guy from seibertron was selling them for 365+ and I thought "Damn, those must be rare". Was ebay right? Nope, zealottoyou took care of us and we got them for 25 shipped from China! Those ebay buyers could of saved 300 bucks just buy coming to tfw2005 and asking "Hey, how much are these unreleased TFTM scouts worth?"

Again, what about those KO headmasters (I know you hate KO's)? everyone was paying 80 dollars a head or 300+ for the giftset. What was the actual retail price? 100 dollars shipped from China thanks to ioffer or ebay.

So, don't do away with the what is it worth thread just be more selective. That animated Ultra Magnus is not worth more than retail at this moment.

EDIT: Also, whats up with all the "I hate price check threads" threads? It seems one pops up every month.