Price check: MIB G1 Prime and Megatron

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by linthart, Feb 20, 2009.

1. linthart

linthart Plastaholic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hi Guys,

So i've decided to start saving for my next major TF purchase and i'd like to know what i should be looking at financially.

I want a MIB G1 Optimus Prime and Megatron set to encapsulate in afa style boxes. I know these are not to be graded but i think they'd look really nice.

So how much should i be paying for some good condition boxes and styro without the toys and how much for a complete box/styro/toy.

i just saw a MIB g1 megs go for for $203.50 USD
    Transformers G1 Original Megatron - eBay Transformers, Transformers Robots, Action Figures, Toys Hobbies. (end time 20-Feb-09 13:02:48 AEDST)

to me this seems super cheap as i was expecting to have to pay much more than that?

Also i've seen a few different orange plugs on megs and i'm wondering if they can be removed easily?

Are these the sort of boxed figs board members are going to give up or do we think this might be a challenge?

Cheers guys

Lint

2. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    In today's market that's cheapish for Megs. I'd want more pics though, to see the condition of the stickers (the thigh Decepticon stickers are very prone to fading to pink)(the stock and sight parts stickers can get really tatty at the edges), and I'd ask about the joints, especially if you plan on ever displaying him in bot mode. That box looks in pretty good condition though, again I'd always ask for close-up pics.

As it was a US only auction, it would probably have sold for more if it had been international.

As for price ranges, how MIB do you want him, unused? unstickered? neither but displayable? box condition? I'd expect him to go for $200-$450 (not including unused) depending on how minty you want him. Now if you wanted to go MISB, that's another budget entirely :D 

Nice minty Megs can be found for not extortionate prices, but it'll take patience. You should watch every ebay auction for him (like me :D ) to get an idea of current prices, you may luck out this way and find a bargain.

Saying that, you would probably get a better deal in the Junkion, with the proviso that you won't see many come up there, patience is the key.

You'll be better off getting him with his box in one go, most loose Megs aren't minty enough to go back in the box, there are exceptions of course.

As for orange plugs, most G1 sellers just stick some/any-thing orange in the barrel to comply with ebay's rules. Most will just pull out, or not even be sent to you, again asking the seller questions is the key.

I'm pretty sure that Oz has strict importation rules on replica firearms, so I'd check that out as well. I seem to remember that folk had difficulty importing MP Megs.

Finding a nice one will be a bit of a challenge, though I sold one about two years ago for £90/$180., should've held on to him!

Prices for him will likely go up once ROTF is out as more folk relive their childhood.

Good luck man.

3. linthart

linthart Plastaholic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks for your input ninety, i think most of all i'm going for box condition.
    i have re-issues that i use for display but i'd love an original just to keep in the box.

i guess unused would be awesome but as long as there is nice chrome and looks nice from the outside thats all i'm after.

unused with unused stickers ect would be a fantastic nostalgia piece but in the end i guess i'll be after something that is just very displayable. ha hell i could even cheat and buy a re-issue and put it in a vintage box and i'd probably be happy.

i'd never ever put a re-issue in a vintage box and try and pawn it off as original or anything.

so i guess joints arn't such an issue.

as far as aussie laws go, yes you're right, they suck.
    when ever i get a megs i have to have him sent to western australia where he is legal and then have him sent across the county here to melboune.
    its a nervous wait but so worth it in the end. once he's inside the country its easy.

4. linthart

linthart Plastaholic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  5. tranceformer

tranceformer Member