Price Check: Gobots Production Label Board?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Tirade, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Tirade

Tirade Hate Plague Autobot

I was cleaning out some storage, and I came across an interesting piece. The first picture is a shot with the front, waxy like paper on top of the image:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Very similar to an animation Cel/Storyboard. My dad used to work at a Label business, so that's how I came to have it. The image used is actually the same one used for the Gobots Command Center (Gobot Dematerializer):

http://www.tfu.info/Gobots/Guardians/CommandCenter/adc.jpg

I also have a smaller, photo version of that same picture. It is 3.5 inches x 3 inches. It has a glossy finish on the top (although there are creases and scratches now to the front). I assume it accompanies the larger version:

[​IMG]

So any ideas if there is a market for this type of stuff?

2. Tirade

No comments at all? Gobots stuff must be a tough sell then.

3. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

It's not necessarily that, but I'd assume that what you've got there is going to be difficult to price due to its uniqueness; what do you compare it to to get even a ballpark figure? I wouldn't have a clue. I do know, however, that I for one would be all over that if I had money. :p 

4. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    So its like the master image set for a playset sticker? Makes sense that the image starts at a larger size and gets downscaled. That's how the GIJOE modelers had to work in the 80s. All the sculpts and stickers were two ups from the eventual final version.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  5. Tirade

Yeah, that is the issue here. I was hoping somebody with experience in production level labels or related artwork would be able to help give an estimate. It certainly is unique. The closest comparison I can think of is original box artwork.

Correct, from what I gather. I plan on talking with my father to see if he has any more information on the set. Of course he last worked with this about 25 years ago, so he might not remember much.

6. Tirade

Should this be in a different forum? I'm surprised at the lack of comments (positive or otherwise). Just looking to hear from some knowledgeable individuals on original box and label artwork.

7. Tirade

What kind of items in particular sold for almost nothing? Are we talking original artwork, early production stuff?

If there really isn't much interest, I'll probably just keep the piece. Especially if it's not going to sell for much. I was hoping to get some idea of value. Based on the lack of comments, there certainly does not seem to be much interest.

8. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    More likely it's so unique that it has no real determined value. I'd offer you 5 bucks (contrary to what was said there is demand for go-bots stuff) but it might be worth a dollar or maybe 100 dollars. Best bet, if your parting with it, is to sell it on ebay with a 99 cent starting bid and promoting the auction on sites like this.

9. Tirade

Yeah, I decided to list the piece on eBay. Here's the link:
    Gobots Original Label Production Artwork - eBay (item 230597031154 end time Mar-21-11 11:42:42 PDT)