PREVIEW: Transformers Spotlight: Hot Rod

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Primal, Nov 14, 2006.

1. Bigd

Bigd Autobot

How can you hate it! Its Hot Rod. One of the coolest autobot around. That should be enough to buy it.
    :Gouki: 

2. Slappytron

Slappytron Peace through Slapping

I'm staying optimistic. I didn't like the Shockwave art originally but that turned out to be IDW's finest issue so far.

3. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This art is great compared to Nightbeat. That was the book I was MOST looking forward to, and I don't think Nightbeat was consistent from one panel to the next. Especially his head. Ugh! I think Hot Rod looks nifty... but I wonder why they created new characters, when there's so many to choose from out there.

I like the one-shots in general. It allows them to slowly introduce characters instead of throwing them all out at you without any personality or (in many cases in Stormbringer) introduction of who they are. When you make the character look different from its G1 counterpart, you should really introduce who they are to the reader. :D 

4. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    i hate both covers....hot rod surfing on comets? stupid....and hot rod standing over his own shoulder? WTF...but i guess b is better then a....hopefully the story is good...

5. Caterwaul

Caterwaul Busou Shinki Loremaster

The advantage of generics is you can kill them off. Considering they mentioned this is Hot Rod's first failure as a leader, I'm not expecting many survivors.

With named characters, it doesnt matter who they used, it's bound to be someone's favorite. People dont react well when their favorite character gets their laser core deactivated. Additionally, this way they dont have to worry about knocking off someone that a future writer might want/need. Related to this is the fact that it helps keep accidental appearances from dead characters to a minimum.

6. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Maybe it's me, but Hot Rod looks a lot like Cybertron Swerve; moreso than his classics or other selves. Especially in alt mode.

7. airfox

airfox TF: Cybertronian Wars!

News Credits:
    Or, Hot Rod screws up, everybody dies except Dealer, but Hot Rod thinks he died. And Dealer goes bad because he was left behind. :) 

So far liking the art.

And can't believe some of the complaints about the generic characters! If Furman is going to kill them off in their first appearance (which seems to be the case here), it's better to kill generic characters. Just MHO.

-airfox

8. bludgeon

bludgeon Well-Known Member

Hmm looking at pages 4 and 5, I wonder if the characters are supposed to be japanese guys. As someone said earlier I think the black one with the missiles might be based on the Jaguar guy from Breastforce, and the kinda tram thing might be one of the trainbots from heademasters. The little white jeep thing looks like its maybe one of the mini-spies.

9. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    ^ I'm just not seeing it...

10. Thundershot

News Credits:
    Ebay:

I wasn't complaining, I was just commenting. If they're destined to die, then yes, I'd rather them not kill off any "toy characters" simply because it either makes them unusable for other writers, or it forces someone to resurrect them. Didn't some Technobots already die in the latest limited series?

11. airfox

airfox TF: Cybertronian Wars!

News Credits:
    Wha???! :eek: 

-airfox

12. Denyer

Denyer Shooty Dog Thing

I'd like to see some generics / non-toy characters who stick around. They were amongst the most memorable in the original comics (Death's Head, Xaaron, Impactor, etc.)

13. Thundershot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't know. There was too much going on in Stormbringer, and since the characters didn't look like the toys, it was hard to tell who was where, and what was who. Didn't two or three Technobots get used as fodder for Pretender shells? I was so lost in that story...

Chris

14. TerraDestroyer

TerraDestroyer "Sometimes crazy works."

News Credits:
    Man alive, that was quite a read. A good stand-alone story.
    It was good to see some more, and BETTER depth to the Rod's character.
    The art was great...though his alt-mode was somewhat lacking.
    Also, Banzaitron? Dah hail? Neat looking 'con...like to see more of him.

15. Denyer

Denyer Shooty Dog Thing

16. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot You can, you up. No can, no BB.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I bought it already and read it!<3 <3 <3

17. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    WOW! Giving Furman TOTAL responsibility with the TF comics seems to have been a great move, he's writting better than EVER before!

18. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    As soon as I saw it at the store, I thought of you. I loved it too! Other than Dealer, all of Hot Rod's guys on the preview pages were generibots. They're named later in the issue and they aren't Jaruga et al.

19. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

I've seen some of the preview pages already from another thread a while back. This looks awesome! I may even have to hunt down both color covers and that's something I never do. I love the surfing one but Raiz is perhaps my favorite Hot Rod artist to date. Did this thing come out today or is it not coming til next week?

20. Infosaur

Infosaur Ancient Cybertronian

SHHHHHHHHHH! :throw 

Backbeat is the Tram looking dude/thing and OMG if he was on Earth I think he'd be a boombox. That would be a pretty cool pre-earth alt mode for Blaster actually.

And I'd love to see Banzai-Tron's alt mode (he doesn't have one)

Can't say I was surprised by the ending but for people who don't know EVERY transformer's story it was a good set up.

BTW was Dealer there the whole time? was he placed there? He looked pretty done up. That is some serious Jack Bauer #$%^ right there.

And up till now I thought Repugnus was the Autobot CTU agent.

http://tfu.info/1987/Autobot/Repugnus/repugnus.htm

Tech spec:

Autobot

Function: Counter-Intelligence

He has a personality as repellent as his looks -- been kicked out of the Autobots many times for insubordination only to be asked back since he's always willing to undertake missions too low-down and dirty for anyone else to consider. In robot mode, carries venom laser that slows cerebro impulses and paralyzes on impact. In creature mode, has infra-red and X-ray vision; can emit colors and stroboscopic effect with eyes. Claws contain chemical, electromagnetic and audio sensors; can rip through almost any substance.