PREVIEW: Transformers Infiltration #6

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Primal, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What is Megs Cybertronian form in this series? I missed the first 5 issues. Does anyone have a pic?

2. EagleEyeJoe

EagleEyeJoe Well-Known Member

I have nothing but love for Infiltration. It is the ONLY comic series I consider worth picking up right now. The artwork is nicely done... I love the feel in it. The storyline is probaby one of the better written ones out there. It's nice to see a series being paced and set up.. instead of just jumping into things without setting up the world these actions reside in.

We'll hopefully have this comic for a while, so why rush it? Just enjoy the story! That said.. I hope when Prime shows up at the end of the comic that they have him saying "This is the end of the road, Megatron!" - I'd just love that :) 

3. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    *hugz cheebs and beamer for repping ej su*

4. jasonw

jasonw Well-Known Member

And if the book wasn't so unbelievably s#!t you might get them.

I've brought every TF book since marvel 1. With the exception of Micromasters by Dreamwave because that was appaling as well.

Do you know what this means? It means I've brought some real crap over the years. And I'm still not buying Infiltration. I enjoyed Beast Wras, but I seriously think it might be time for sir Simon of Furman to stop writing g1 stories.

At the end of the Dreamwave series, I really wanted to know what was happening with Sixshot, Shockwave, Buster Witwicky, Spike, etc. As far as the IDW G1 comic goes, I couldn't give a crap if Unicron stepped on everyone and the comic got canceled tomorrow.

Where does the problem lie? I don't LOVE the art. The 56 millionth re-imagining of the g1 story isn't a great help either (especially when a) its a crap one and b) its happened too many times in the space of a few years) Ultimately though I feel its the writing. It's f---ing dreadful.

Sorry to be so negative. Its just how I genuinly feel. I for one definitely won't be buying the rest of this series.

Jason

BTW I've enjoyed Hearts of Steel so far. So I'm not negative about everything.+

5. WOT

WOT New Member

er this is the best i could find
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=99532
    5th image down has megs in cybertron form. although this is from stormbringer, infiltration megs is identical (they are in the same continuity) but with a diferant artist.

6. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    as a comic fan, maybe i'd doubt the quality.

but as a TF fan, this is my only outlet at supporting the storytelling aspect of TF brand. forget abt the cartoons, since our support affects them either way - they are there to support the toyline.

but comics is the last bastion of fans who want real, non-kid orientated stories, at least officially. thru bad times and good, i will support it (since its not that hard a pinch on my wallet).

why? because i am a TF fan first, comic fan second.

7. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

I've spoken with comic fans who aren't big on Transformers and they're pretty much all enjoying the book. As am I.

Good book. Warming to Su's designs, but I like his clean and crisp style, but I'll never give love to the Gundam legs. Sorry.

8. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    And I'm very happy to see Ratchet take his pets and go home. Especially the yippy, high-pitched one.

9. Denyer

Denyer Shooty Dog Thing

You prefer Prime with a pinhead, miniskirt hips and bendy toffee consistency, perhaps?

edit: He's even lost his purse.

[​IMG]

Where does the problem lie? People don't LOVE something a bit more driven towards realism? The 56 millionth "it isn't completely original / it's too different / if Mattel|Marvel|Dyson had the license* we'd get ponies" fanpost? (Especially when a) they're misspelt and b) they've happened so many times over the course of the last ten years or so.) Ultimately though, I feel it's the taste of those individual fans. In some cases it's fucking dreadful.

Feel free to tell us what you don't like about the writing, but "it's shit" commentary is just shouting into the void. A lot of us also bought/read all that stuff going back 20+ years -- there's probably even someone somewhere who liked Micromasters -- so the criticisms aren't self-obvious.

Welcome to the board, BTW. :) 

*Yes. Yes.

10. jasonw

jasonw Well-Known Member

But it really is. I'm not just bandying swears about lightly, its just dirge - no pun intended.

Seriously, would you care if Verity, Carlos, or whatever the hell they're called - oh sorry Oh'nion (comedy name?!) - got stepped on next issue.

I would be cold inside, I wouldn't even laugh.

What about any of these characters. Would you honestly care if any of the bots or cons died in the next issue?

I wouldn't, and I'll tell you why - its a bad comic book - even by the ropiest of Transformers standards.

I know you think I'm wasting my time calling it $#!t. But, hey let the public vote with their feet. How many comics are they selling at the mo'?

What's that you say? Enough to have to emblazon 'No robots on Cybertron' across the cover of their next series in the desperate hope someone'll buy it.

I MUST have been wrong all along.

Jason

BTW, Thanks for the welcome :) 

11. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    i have to agree with a lot of this. I care more about John Henry and Muldoon (the scientist, that was his name, right?) after 1 issue of Hearts of Steel than i do the Humans in 5.5 issues of infiltration. heck, i don't even know the mechanic guys name...

But i don't personallly think it's Simon Furman's fault entirely ~ he did so much more in 4 issues of BW (and hell, in 11 pages of Stormbringer) i'm just not sure where Infiltration went wrong. i just know after essentially nothing happened in issue 5 (i thought 4 picked up the pace a bit...) i was just through with it.

i don't know if SF just works stronger in 4 issues? because infiltration has just felt padded beyond belief to me and neither BW or the Stormbringer preview felt that way at all (example: i can't think of much reason pages 1-2 and 3-4 in the #6 preview couldn't have been re-worked into 2 pages)

and I've said my piece on Su's art. he renders the mechnicals well, but everything else is average-to-amateur. the faces, ugh the faces...

It doesn't help that his colourist's style doesn't mesh very with his ~ since he'd doesn't vary his line weight or spot blacks much, it's really on the colorist to created depth, and i feel his/her style is too subtle for the most part (on top of bizarre choices like the 'sunset' reflections on windows throughout the series or the bizarre change in colour and temperature on the fill behind the girl in the center frames on page 4 of the preview, which should have backgrounds drawn in anyways...) ~ IMO Su need's someone who works in more of a 'cell shaded/anime' style with dramatic highlights to add depth...

i really hope we're going to see something different on Escalation, or i might drop out too. and i've bought every TF comic since Marvel #1 too (even the Blackthorne 3D garbage and Micromasters :eek:  )

12. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

I like the art. I mean it isnt my favorite, but I do like it.

13. Denyer

Denyer Shooty Dog Thing

I'd be nonplussed if it was Jimmy. He hasn't had enough development to seem particularly real -- although the effect on the others and the Autobots could be worth it, storywise. I was curious whether one of them was going to die when the bunker caved in, since the series hasn't shied away from corpses so far.

I'm actually struggling to remember the last time I invested in a fictional character that much, without the disconnect of being aware of what it means for plot purposes... it was probably StormWatch shortly before they [omitted because some people probably still haven't read the Ellis series even if they've read The Authority.] Or the final monologue from the last issue of the Jenny Sparks miniseries.

At the moment, Ratchet and Bumblebee have received the bulk of panel time, so they'd be best candidates for a death with impact -- provided there wasn't a convenient resurrection a couple of issues later.

You know how far ahead of time the promotional materials get produced? It's been pointed out in interviews for months (since last year) that there'll be different focuses for stories -- they've known since going into it that a traditional "robots in disguise" story wouldn't be to all tastes, and planned other stuff such as BW, one-shots and Elseworlds stories. There's basically something for everyone, but the core continuity stories will build into a bigger arc. (Judging by the titles -- Escalation, Devastation -- we'll hopefully see rather more impactful military activity than we've seen since San Fran got wiped out in Marvel US G2.)

Infiltration can also be picked up by anyone, no previous knowledge assumed. You can catch that Prowl's a dick, Sunstreaker's a bit of a psychopath, etc. There's more in the way of plot points in there (war across other planets, some of which have already been lost, humans captured and murdered, etc) than may at first be apparent, whilst we get information at the rate the squishies have been.

In any case, it's not surprising to see marketing for Stormbringer taking advantage of the demographic that isn't so keen on Earth modes / Earth people -- plenty of us originally got into the comics later on in the Marvel run when action had moved back to Cybertron. We'll be getting further appeal to that demographic with material such as the Nightbeat one-shot that's to follow the Shockwave issue.

14. Primal

Primal Veteran

News Credits:
    You are correct. IDW mislabelled the filename. I checked on Midtown and they have that cover listed under Nick Roche.

15. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I guess my tastes are just different than y'all, but I really enjoy Infiltration. And as for the three humans, I think at least Verity is well-developed. There's been a few priceless frames of her face with great expressions.