PREVIEW: Transformers Animated Movie #3

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Primal, Dec 9, 2006.

1. Primal

Primal Moderator

News Credits:
    IDW Publishing has released their 5-page previews for items shipping December 13th. Among them was part 3 of Transformers: The Animated Movie

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------​

TRANSFORMERS: THE ANIMATED MOVIE #3 (of 4)

Publisher:
    IDW Publishing
    Writers: Bob Budiansky
    Pencils: Don Figueroa
    Covers: Don Figueroa

20th Anniversary Celebration! In Part 3 of the 4-part adaptation of the classic 1986 TRANSFORMERS movie, the AUTOBOTS must survive two worlds of terror- one planet made entirely of junk and another where only the innocent are sentenced to death! Written by long-time GEN ONE scribe Bob Budiansky and illustrated by TRANSFORMERS fan-fave Don Figueroa. Together, they continue this four-part adaptation, adding in extra scenes and little touches for fans of all ages.

View:
    Transformers: The Animated Movie #3, Cover
    Transformers: The Animated Movie #3, Sketch Incentive Cover
    Transformers: The Animated Movie #3, Page 1
    Transformers: The Animated Movie #3, Page 2
    Transformers: The Animated Movie #3, Page 3
    Transformers: The Animated Movie #3, Page 4
    Transformers: The Animated Movie #3, Page 5

Source: IDW Publishing

2. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Meh. Didn't like issues 1 and 2, don't like what I'm seeing there either.

A waste of both Bob's and Don's talents.

3. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    why the hate? :( 

4. Nevermore

News Credits:
    - 90% of the dialogue is lifted directly from the movie. Not even the infamous "Jettison some weight" error got fixed.
    - When the dialogue does get changed, it's to include some old-fashioned Marvel-esque name references. "Hey Ultra Magnus, we got a problem!" - "I can't deal with that now, Perceptor!" and so on.
    - The captions are annoying almost on a Claremont-esque level. Telling you what you can see going on RIGHT THERE IN THE VERY SAME PANEL.
    - Issue 2 features a helluvalot "This happened in issue 1" captions. Well, geez. You can't tell me they're seriously hoping to attract new readers that didn't buy issue 1 of a four-part comic adaption of a 20-year-old movie but might be interested in issue 2 nonetheless.
    - There is NOTHING NEW to this comic. Nothing anyone who has seen the movie won't already know. Now, there are those awesome storyboards floating around with all those missing scenes. Y think it would have been cool to incorporate them somehow, to give the adaption some kind of novelty factor at least?
    - Anyone who hasn't seen the movie itself yet could get lost. The panel layouts are extremely busy, perspective is a whack most of the time (sort of "through the legs of Hot Rod, a wide shot of Optimus Prime being shown from the back, delivering a speech to megatron" thing), and the panel borders have an annoying tendency to cut off half the stuff going on in the panel.

5. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    it seems that this must be the only comic adaptation that was lifted from the film after the fact.

comic movie adaptation are usually interesting because they sometimes include things that were not in the movie since they were either based on early cuts or transcripts - bill n teds bogus journey is a good example where scenes were radically different from the movie version.

i cant imagine what kind of bonus material that IDW couldve provided without messing with the authencity of the adaptation. i'm all ears if you guys have any examples.

6. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Yep, that's a pretty spot on rundown. Add to it A) the fact that Hasbro obviously gave Don a specific more simplistic & cartoony art style to go by which looks just awful, and B) the fact that this "new" adaptation is still being released so far after the anniversary DVD already came out. If it came out right BEFORE the DVD reissue, I could understand it. But what's the point this far after the fact? Even people living under a rock for the past 20 years likely already bought the anniversary DVD, so I really don't get who this comic is really supposed to be aimed at, especially since it adds nothing new to the story (ie: missing scenes, new scenes, fillers, etc). I actually wonder if this got delayed somewhere along the lines and that they're only releasing it because they're contracted to do so.

7. ARTIMUS ONE

ARTIMUS ONE Investigations Dept.

I had an opportunity to see issue #2 of this series....I dont know...it looked breif, and the art looked OK but it did not look detailed....looks like it had been rushed. At any rate, I will pass on these books.

8. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    the lack of detail in dons arts is deliberate. its the same simplified look theyve used for the dvd cover art, a nod to the old school style.

9. Nevermore

News Credits:
    The problem is that this art style doesn't mesh well with Don's style.

This would be better suited for Guido.

10. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    probably, but i bet don used his pull to make sure he got the gig. i dont think hed miss it for the world ;) 

11. Megaman

Megaman Mega

I like the frontpage a lot, but...

i don't know Hot rod (one of my favorite characters) head just doesn't look like the cartoon, that's too bad

12. Denyer

Denyer Shooty Dog Thing

Well, apart from the errors, which weren't really noticeable when I actually read the thing...

1. Someone else would've been a better choice for adapting it, as Bob isn't really familiar with the film and which lines people consider are important.

2. It shouldn't have been represented (as a selling point) as having new scenes.

There's still a way to turn this around and hook more people -- I think a oneshot (maybe double-sized) that delves into the gap between the series and the movie would be perfect -- but as it stands, this is of most interest to fans who want a straight adaptation.

I'd also like non-cartoony art, but that's purely personal preference -- although I really rather like the first few pages of underwater battle in the preview.

13. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    Hm...sorry to ask this but Magnus said "I can't deal with that now" in isssue 2? Just curious.
    Like the preview.

14. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    yes magnus said his ever infamous line in #2

15. Nevermore

News Credits:
    I still don't understand the outrage about that line. Magnus had just survived a major Decepticon attack on the city that was under his command, witnessed the death of his old friend, was chosen by him as new Autobot leader, was attacked by a group of menacing new Decepticons, had to decide for a quick escape, and now he had those menacing new Decepticons right on his tale - would any of you be able to deal with the other ship having just been shot down when you're busy enough staying alive yourself?

16. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    agreed

id've done/said the same thing :p 

17. artiepants

artiepants Just over here punching Unicron.

News Credits:
    yeah, i gotta admit if this had:

A. been a "directors cut" featuring scenes that were storyboarded/ scripted but not filmed and or added some "new/fleshed out" scenes (say how Kranix got nabbed by the quints for one example)
    and/or
    B. featured Don's normal style of art ~no knock on him, i totallyy get why he went the route he did, i just don't personally agree with it ~as again, it ads to the feeling of bringing nothing new to the table...

:I'd have considered getting this when the TPB comes out, as is, why wouldn't i just get the 20th DVD (ya know, except to bask in the glow of teh josh's sweet colours ;) )

18. Dark Magnus

Dark Magnus Your opinion is wrong!

Ebay:
    No, but Prime would have! He'd have been able to save Kup, Hotrod, and the dinobots as their ship was crashing, gotten them back to the ship, jumped out the ship and done some crazy aero-acrobatics like he did back in autobot city (albeit, this time some of his movements would be physically possible in zero g), shoot down all the sweeps and scourge, fly through galavatrons flagship and beat the shit out of he and cyclonus. After that without a second to waste, he'd fly to Unicron, fly up his ass and open the matrix!

But yeah, people make more of the magnus line than it really is.

19. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nice cover. :) 

20. airfox

airfox TF: Cybertronian Wars!

News Credits:
    I still haven't been able to find the DVD ( :(  ), but already got 2 issues of the adaptation.

It's not bad, but I guess Nevermore is right. Still like it though.

-airfox