Preview of Lost Light #10

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Leopard5, Oct 4, 2017.

1. RazorclawX

RazorclawX Campaign Oracle

Would only make sense if he combined with Rodimus.

Not unless you're telling me that all the Protectobots beside First Aid have the same personality.

2. rlmiddleton

rlmiddleton Swoopatron

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    That would (almost) be fine if it was just First Aid but it’s not. It’s every single character who speaks in the same way. I thought I made that pretty clear in my original post tbh.

I say “almost” as even if it was just First Aid it would be a bit of a stretch to suggest that because he thinks Rodimus is a charismatic captain he automatically takes on his speech patterns.

It would be nice to discuss this without making patronising little comments such as “cracked the case boys” given I believe your own argument is pretty far from perfect.

As for the Roberts “hatedom”, I can only speak for me personally in that I come here to be honest about my feelings on a shared subject. Sometimes I like what he does, increasingly recently I don’t. I am not going to be generally dismissive or abusive of his work which really would be “hate”, but specific in what I call out as bothering me.

It’s just extraordinary how the expectation increasingly seems to be that criticism of any element of the hobby is not something you should find on a fan website built to discuss these things.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    • Like Like x 6
  3. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    TBH I am not very familiar with the Protectobots personalities in general. First Aid sounding like Rodimus I see the argument but I don't think is from the combination. If that is the case Mirage would be talk like Prowl or Optimus Prime when complains about Objectives and Plans bit. All the crew in the shuttle are members of a combiner teams.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  4. justiceg

justiceg Well-Known Member

Good writers tell their story in the story, not through a fanfic speculation from a rando on a messageboard. ;)  I'll lay odds we *don't* see that explanation (or any explanation) in the issue at all. Be happy to be proven wrong.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    I kind of really wish it was Hot Spot barking orders and First Aid being the calm advisor in this crashing sequence. Not because Hot Spot was the protectobot leader in G1, just that First Aid being this sarcastic, quipping, captain bossing the others around is so out of character it's unbelievable. First Aid has always provided leadership potential in the past, but that was because he took everything he was doing with an utmost seriousness. Otherwise he was a cautious but simple guy with some quirks who has been forced to struggle with certain choices, like his whole deal with Pharma.

• Like Like x 2
  6. spartan 3764

spartan 3764 Yellow ♡ TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well this is way of Tumblr, which James Roberts has adopted. Every character is exactly the same. They are "edgy" because they're quippy and they go on about things the audience has no context, and the actualt explanation has to come from a different character who may or may not break their own personality for the sake of plot advancedment.

Basically, this is how stupid people try to be clever with writing. I'm not even joking or exaggerating either. Read any comic on tumblr and it's exactly like this.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Nocturne

Nocturne Professional Ginger

News Credits:
    I already love how slimy Getaway is acting :) 

• Like Like x 2
  8. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    What do you mean "comics on Tumblr"? Just webcomics in general? I don't see how Roberts getting lazy with his dialogue (which I believe he is) means the evil bogeyman Tumblr is to blame.

• Like Like x 2
  9. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:
    at least Roberts doesnt have to force GIJoe, Micronauts, or the Monopoly guy into his comics.
    and as such, that means his Comic is the best.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Weeeeeell, Shining Knight is better so far :D  But for a 3 issue book so far it's not hard to be great. Well, not compared to a book which is in it's 3rd season.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    Good god man, why do you have to bitch about this in every single thread?

• Like Like x 1
  12. NanakoPreame

NanakoPreame Certified Mama Luigi

You'd be amazed at how some people will keep bringing up something they hate.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Ckbrothers

Ckbrothers Active Member

Ebay:
    Sadly, I do understand the hate because Revolutions, unfortunately, did kind of bring in a lot of issues into the transformers continuity while also being a really bad crossover event. Is the the worst? No. But it does have its lasting effects on the writers.

That being said!..I really like what they’ve done with marissa and flint, and having Thundercracker tag along is great.

(And transformers crossing over with the monopoly man would be incredibly amusing. )

As long as they don’t things into lost light, we should be good.

But anyway, back on topic, I am kind of worried that Roberts is a bit too..loose. Now, the start of lost light was fantastic. The functionist plot was incredibly well done, and the twist of Megatron being stuck makes for a good over arcing problem: when Megatron returns, will he be forced to defend himself? What is functionist universe Orion like? (And will he have an awesome design?)

The problem lies in the fact that, after that, Roberts is becoming lax with his plot. With a pretty loose plot going on right now, Roberts is sliding more into a casual mode, having his characters be a bit more..ridiculous.

The problem however is that it doesn’t match the fact that the plot has entered into a rather serious situation. I mean, First aid has to uncover a coup!

I really hope Roberts does realize that not everyone should be a humorous jackass, or be uptight. I want classic, dorky first aid back.

14. tigatron2002

tigatron2002 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Haven’t both groove and rook been seen with the protectobots since combiner wars? Pretty sure it’s supposed to be legends groove despite his size

15. Kafuka Fuura

Kafuka Fuura Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2017 at 1:32 PM
    • Like Like x 8
    • News Credit News Credit x 1
  16. TargetmasterJoe

TargetmasterJoe Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Favorite First Aid lines:

• "Three questions: how, how and how?"
    • "If something weird's going on—and Getaway being captain ticks all the boxes—then a quick look at the crew's medical files might shed some light."

• Like Like x 4
  17. spartan 3764

spartan 3764 Yellow ♡ TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Those lines could literally be said by any character in this book and no one would be any the wiser. Nautica, Rodimus, Whirl, or even Getaway himself.

Roberts has made ever character the same. It's like a Doctor Who fanfiction from tumblr. All witty dialogue that bordernlines sitcoms and by making every character the same you lose any form of character development. Because their personality will always be the same, and thats the same as every other character. I loved MTMTE S1, and most of S2. And I'm excited to finally see this entire story comd to a conclusion because Roberts is a talented writer who can make a good story and characters, but it's just like he's given in to his own urgings and made a sitcom. Imagine if we still got this story but the characterization was as good as season 1?

• Like Like x 3
  18. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Getaway doesn't have any sort of medic on board the Lost Light. Ratchet went to find Drift. Velocity is in the cheering squad of the Rodimus' fan club. Ambulan is dead and Pharma is insane. Getaway could have easily blasted the shuttle to bits and pieces and nobody would had been wiser so my guess he actually needs First Aid. As for medical records they may not be up to date meaning that if Getaway did something to the crew it may not be in the records.

Mirage, can not go around and the Lost Light invisible not with Hound ability to smell him out If I was Getaway I would make Hound the next Chief of Security and since he was one found the cat.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Boople Barp

Boople Barp Well-Known Member

I am going to laugh my ass off if the characters we're supposed to hate are portrayed as better and more objective oriented than the main cast. With the main characters being as grating as they are, I find it harder and harder to find the mutineers the bad guys.

• Like Like x 6
  20. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Wanna touch things I don't feel

News Credits:
    Mirage is the only character I feel any connection or sympathy for so far.

• Like Like x 1