Preventive Maintenance Plan

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DilaZirK, Nov 11, 2007.

1. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    Not sure how many in here are involved in maintenance, engineering, or a related field, but I thought I'd give it a shot.

Being a fresh grad in Mechatronics Engineering, I'm currently seeking out relatively big companies that are willing to take me in as an engineer. As it so happens, Sony seems to be willing to give me a try...

I am currently scheduled for a 3rd interview with them on the coming 23rd November. The catch is that potential candidates are given homework to be completed and presented to them on that date: we are to create a Total Preventive Maintenance Plan for any machinery/equipment of our choice.

The presentation must be in-depth, and must justify all of the choices made, such as the frequency of maintenance.

Only thing is, I'm not sure where to start...

Does anyone have any pointers for me on this?

2. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Damn that's an in-depth interview process.

Well, as a fresh-grad, what's a piece of equipment that you've had to frequently fix over the last few years?

3. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    I'd say what piece of equipment you've had to fix in the past you enjoyed fixing, or had some sort of personal reward from fixing it? Use that as an example and go from there.

If you've made it this far, don't drop the ball now! It is AWESOME you have gotten this far and congratulations on having made it.

4. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    Nothing that big beyond the household Desktops and Colour Laserjet Printer, but those are viable options.

A car would work I suppose, but I'm really not much of a car person... (and yet I decided to be an engineer, go figure :p )

Thanks. :)  That really means a lot to me.

5. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Well, the first thing you have to determine, is what piece/type od machinery you'll be using for your PM Program.

Key factors to keep in mind when setting up your PM program:
    Importance of the machinery in the overall process of things related to what it is used for.
    How often during a 24 hour day does it run/work?
    How long of a time will it be down for a PM?
    What type of enviroment is the equipment in?...is it outside exposed to climate changes?...is it in a climate controlled room?...is it in a corrosive atmosphere?...these factors can help determine the frequency of the PM.
    How often is the PM done?...daily/weekly/monthly/semi annually/annually?..you can actually do all these cycles for one piece of machinery....
    Do you have redundance?...meaning do you have more than one of the same type of machinery so that you can take it down for a major PM?
    Show the cost effectiveness (including labor hours) of doing the PM program versus "run to failure"....said equipment being down for major CM (corrective maintenance)...this is a easy one.

If you get to pick a piece of equipment...try and find an owners manual, or repair manual...they often times have reccommended maintenance shcedules, you can use that as a base and just elaborate on that

OH YEAH:.....Congrats!! :thumb 

Last edited: Nov 11, 2007
  6. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    ...I can't tell you how grateful I am for that cargo of information you just unloaded on me, plowking.

Seriously, thanks for taking the time to write out something so detailed and well thought out. :) 

Now for the execution...

7. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    No prob....glad I could help....I do this stuff daily at my job...I can testify to the fact that a pm program does work...we didnt have one at one point in time at my place of employment....it was pretty much "run to failure"....now that we have a pm program in place, things have improved drastically as far as the life of the equipment is concerned...its more work being done, but its not "intense" work, so to say....

Take a look at your vehicle owners manual, they usually have a maintenance shedule in there....that should give you some ideas too