Minor/Repaint: Pretender Starscream

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by dsn1014, Apr 2, 2012.

1. dsn1014

dsn1014 41:75:74:6f:62:6f:74

With exams looming, a thesis due and a change of address pending I don't think I'll have much time to do any more to this fella. So before he gets boxed up indefinitely I present my take on Pretender Starscream.

I always loved the look of the original toy and wanted to make my own with my own spin on it. The parts sacrificed include a 1/100 gundam kit, a 6 inch iron man and a pound shop Viking dwarf. All painted up in acrylic. Lots of little things went into building him up, but they're all small details here and there, if I did my job right they won't be obvious and add instead to the look as a whole.

I've hung Starscream on his back rather than put him inside the figure, so you can say he's only pretending, which fits my brief well enough, would have been sweet to get him in there somehow though.

I took my time, doing little bits here and there through the last 2 semesters and he was a great source of relief throughout them. He's very rough in spots I know, but he more than pleases me, I'll aim for excellence on the next one.

Hoping to do the rest of the Classic Pretenders as time allows in this fashion.

And apologies for the phone pictures, if I can get a better camera over the next week or so I'll try to take better ones.

wip thread here: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/468269-pretender-starscream-wip.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking guys :) 

Attached Files:

2. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    great Job!

3. dsn1014

Thanks man and oops, forgot to add that it's very much inspired by the work you've done. Though it comes nowhere near your quality, I'll wait til the next one hehe. :) 

4. BLOODRAGED189

BLOODRAGED189 Getting a job to buy TFs.

News Credits:
    I like how the heads grey, very accurate and cool!

5. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Still cool as hell. 'nuff said.

6. jame5y

jame5y Till All Are One..In the UK Thread

I'm loving all the takes on the obscure figures, I'm so into that myself - we always see good 'popular' characters, but these just resonate with me more :) 

This take is brilliant, between you and Aprim I doff my cap!

7. dsn1014

Cheers for that man, lil screamer there was a very simple affair to get done, I thought that I may as well considering I'm going as far as to do the shell.

Again, thanks man :) 

You keep up the Firecons and we'll soon have the obscure catalogue covered. But agreed, I prefer the more vague bots out there, they allow for a much more personal spin on things and it adds a bit of variety to the proceedings. And thank you very much.

8. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    This looks like really great work. Any chance we could get some brighter photos?

9. leobreaker1977

leobreaker1977 Well-Known Member

looks really cool man. I wish I could knock out a few pretenders too, What are you using for the "shell"? Aprim is the man when it comes to these I figure If I do do any his influence would be massive. Good luck on your exams and with the move.

10. dsn1014

Thanks man. Working on it, tried a few things, messing with the white balance, rigged a poor quality light box, took the cover off the phone in case there was dust in there, lol, I'm not happy with those photos at all, so will try and get my hands on a better camera if I can. I went a bit bananas with the weathering and failed when it came to painting the eyes, but I'd like to get better shots for myself. I did manage to get brighter ones and they're attached to this post, though they're not very dynamic.

[​IMG]

Cheers :) 
    The shell is an old 1/100 Gundam Wing model, Sheng Long, it can be found for about $20 on ebay, it's not the MG one. What sold me on it is that the kit is hollow which allowed me to add putty to the feet to keep him stable, the point where the arms attach was the perfect diameter to allow the shoulder joints from the Toy Biz Modern Iron Man to fit in snuggly and hold in place once I had them cut out. The arms are from an Iron Man and I felt they looked more fitting for the character than those that came with the kit. Also the mould comes with a plug on his back that I used to rig a connector for Starscream to attach snuggly. I also made a faux wing backpack from a KO Air Raid that just shows off Screamers wings like the original toy. One of the mods I love on this guy is the gause I added to the front of his skirt, really added to his gritty look.

Overall the mods and paint are very rough in spots, his face is too small, but I love it. I want to do the whole Classic Pretenders line and this was a great experience. Its made all the more possible by the fact that all the members of the line have legends size representations of their G1 selves, even Grimlock has his WST version. Aprim does great work and when it comes to Grimlock I plan to copy, just at the 1/100 scale. I want to tone down the weathering on the next ones too, I got the base coats on super clean and was a bit sad to lose it when I started to wash and dry brush over it, ah well.

Attached Files:

11. ironjazz

ironjazz Tie Fighter pilot

News Credits:
    nice

12. Stormvapor

Stormvapor Well-Known Member

Cannot voice this enough mate, you are my Hero!
    I am so inspired with this!

13. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

I like it. Nice work.

14. leobreaker1977

leobreaker1977 Well-Known Member

i gotta agree with that about being sad to lose that clean flat even base paint. I felt the same way when I did my washs over my shattered glass dotm prime

15. dsn1014

cheers muchly

Thanks man, cheers for keeping up with me through the WIP, far from perfect in the end, but I'm very happy with him. Hoping to redo him when the others are done, in about 5 years or so hehe.

Thanks very much man and cheers for having followed along :) 

At least now I know I can lay one down hehe.