Pretender - shell or not?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by JediAJ2008, Jan 14, 2009.

1. JediAJ2008

JediAJ2008 New Member

News Credits:
    Okay - we know from the 1980's comics and the toys that the Pretenders were...were...well they were crap.

Reading a lot of your responses to the confirmation of the Pretender in my other Thread - it seems a lot of you aren't best pleased that the new hottie is actually a neatly packaged Transformer.

However - Bay is directing this movie - and he loves to see cool stuff - and he has got much more money for the effects in this film...

...What if this Pretnder DOESN'T have a Shell - What if the hot babe (sorry forgotten her name - will stick with hottie for now :thumbs2:  ) IS the Transformer - we actually see HER body transform into a robot.

This would take the Pretender idea to a whole new level - no stupid suit you carry around with you - if you transform and get taken on a wild care chase you would have to return to pick up the suit after the finish - noooo, by having the body as the actually Transformer Bay would allow us to see something VERY cool - the human body changing shape - maybe in grotesque ways - perhaps taking down to the pores as they 'flip' around to reveal metal sections.

Think about a possible toy - the original Pretender was a big bulky shell, you had to use the belt and helmet to keep it together, and the actual Transformer inside was crap - skeletal.

They are not Mass shifting, Bay has said this for the first movie - and he is going to want the Pretender to be Very Cool - if he sticks with the 'Shell' idea, you'll end up with a robot like Frenzy from TF1....:eek: 

If you go with the Human Body transforming - then you will get a very unique Transformer.

Comments?

2. Obi

Obi rhymes with epididymus

It's probably a hologram or something.

3. transmetal2dinobot

transmetal2dinobot Sub-Commander

Ebay:
    well.... i just threw up in my mouth a bit, but sounds like a cool concept

4. MythofBlackout

MythofBlackout TF Fan Artist

News Credits:
    Edited from my latest journal entry on DeviantArt:

We already know that Sam and co are attacked by a small Frenzy-like robot with dreadlocks and a pair of large, round, "turbines" in the chest. It was presumed by many, right after pictures of the bot surfaced, that it was female and a Pretender. In the first movie, Blackout, Starscream, and Barricade all used holographic drivers. Hell, Blackout's pilot even had what appeared to be a robotic skeleton underneath.

Put 2 and 2 together. This Pretender is probably going to be a small, Frenzy-sized (normal human-sized at most) robot that doesn't actually have a shell but a hard-light hologram that it uses to disguise itself as a human. The basic concept of a robot disguised as a human is maintained but all the stupid aspects from G1 (unless you count the whole robot-disguised-as-human to be one of them) are gone.

5. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

I think they shouldn't have gone with the Alice route. They should have gone for a Caucasian dude with a mustache and a mace in yellow armor.

And how exactly is a hologram supposed to interact with a human. Most holograms are just a light show without actual substance. You'd walk right through a hologram.

I see Alice more along the lines of Terminator. A robot with flesh packed around it.

Yay! Now we have Herbie meets Return of the Mummy meets Terminator! What else can we add fellas to appeal to more demographics?

6. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

The problem I'd see with a shell is where does the robot keep the shell when they want to use their robot mode? Would she dump it into the closet or something so people wouldn't know she's the pretender?

Hologram could work because unless you want some jail time most humans don't go around groping other humans they don't have a relationship with.

I'm sort of thinking some form of transformation. Beast Wars did it so there is already a series that says Transformers can have an organic alt mode. Although I think she'd be bigger than Frenzy in robot mode because Frenzy was small compared to the humans in the movie.

7. MythofBlackout

MythofBlackout TF Fan Artist

News Credits:
    Hard light hologram. As far as I know it's a made up sci-fi concept but so are alien robots that can convincingly disguise themselves as human automobiles.

Besides which, there'd be a robot under the hologram so there's something for people to interact with. If the technology was really advanced (which I'd presume any race that can effectively disguise itself as a human through holograms would be) it could adapt the "shell" so it wouldn't appear distorted when interacting with solid objects.

8. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime Roll out! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I agree with the "Terminator" idea.
    Either way, I expect the Pretender concept to cause much eye-rolling.

9. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Problem with going Terminator though is the movie Terminator: Salvation comes out on May 22 so people might think it was just a rip off of the Terminator series. Thus why I think they would need something different so people couldn't say "didn't we just see something like this last month".

10. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Bludgeon and Thunderwing would like a word with you.

11. TFfan08

TFfan08 Vigilante

News Credits:
    Ravage put a memory chip size thing on Alice's brain and controlling Alice. That is a pretender =P. LOL

12. Kortex

Kortex Well-Known Member

Yo thats a good idea man! I mean who said that Alice has to be a robot... She can be flesh, blood and tits with a chip in the head that control what she does... Cuz lets face it, the thing with human looking robots like Terminator is that they always seem to act so unhuman and machine like.. Even Sam will see it... And they say she s suppose to thy him to a bed wich smell seducing him before to me and therefore she has to act human and natural and not robot like terminator weird suspicion acting...

13. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    in that case where do the giant tongue and metallic tail come from?

personally i reckon the outer covering is a one-use thing which is discarded as soon as the cover is blown as it's not like there would be any point in disguising as alice again

14. Kortex

Kortex Well-Known Member

Yeah, you re right, I forgot about that... So she s really a robot..hum.. wonder how she act as a human...

15. Deadpool.

Deadpool. I want my bird.

News Credits:
    I'm betting that she'll turn out like the T-X from Terminator 3.

16. vektsilver

vektsilver Transorganic member

I dont know why this is a new concept its like a maximal except the animal is a human form not just any other animal.

I still think this is all one big ploy so Bay can get to work with the GOVENATOR

lol

Alice sounds like a cool plot device but pretenders were never a truly succesful idea in the overal concept of transformers but hey since the scan anything and can form parts out their but why stop at human beings I dont know maybe a dinosaur of and make them autobot... a sort of I dont know,,,,Dino - bot if you will.

:) 

GRIMLOCK in 2012

17. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Adult shops sell all kinds of crazy shit nowadays.

18. SentinelPrime

SentinelPrime I NEEDED THAT!

Ebay:
    On one hand, my immediate response was to go with the eye rolling on the pretender. Then, I thought about the fact that Bay and Co. are writing a different Transformers. One that isn't restricted to giant-size Robot Modes only. One where the alt-mode isn't tied to being reformatted in the Ark or Vector Sigma. One where tiny RC cars, X Boxes and cell phones can be Transformers.

So....in that context, I suppose eventually this style of pretender would naturally in the Bay style of universe.

BUT, it's a jump in tech...if it involves meat. Clearly the TFs we know see organics as very alien. I doubt we'll see any explanation as to HOW Decepticons came to be able to make Human bodies, unless it IS a hologram, which I GUESS could work if you think about it.

One idea I had is what if the chick WAS a normal human, and got injected with some type of tiny transformer that changes her from the inside and grows into a TF like a skeleton inside?

19. AMG

AMG Old School

Transformers parasite huh? Not a bad idea really.

20. Borelli

Borelli Well-Known Member