Pretender concept good idea in ROTF?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by One, Jul 2, 2010.

1. One

One Well-Known Member

Not sure if someone already posted this on here or not if so then just let it die but if not then did you guys like the concept of seeing a Pretender in the movie? I didn't like the Alice character but the concept of her being a human transformer was pretty cool I think (didn't like her tongue though lol).

Your thoughts?

2. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

Wasn't really keen on the whole Pretender concept in ROTF when they stated they were going to have a Pretender in the movie. While the whole Sam and friends being chased by a Decepticon Pretender did make for some interesting action, I just feel that as a whole they failed to provide good explanation as to what purpose the Pretender served.

I mean... how did the Decepticons know where Sam was going to college and have the Pretender there? How did they even know that Sam possessed knowledge from the All Spark and therefore use the Pretender as a means to get that knowledge?

So yeah... the whole Pretender thing was not properly executed, so... it was a bad idea.

3. MekaGojira3k

MekaGojira3k Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Eh, I can care less about the concept. It wasn't good for something as mainstream as this, because all I heard from the audiences were people saying "WHAT THE HELL! They ripped off terminator!"

4. Kraken2009

Kraken2009 Megatron's Right Hand

In my opinion, it was poorly done, and not really integral to the story.....or what was supposed to be the story. That would have been a good spot to put Barricade in.

5. Starscreamownz

Starscreamownz Air Commander

News Credits:
    They're giant sentient robots. theres no denying Soundwave couldn't have hacked the Board of education's database and found out where sam was going. Also they're robots. Maybe Soundwave sent her a digital image of what sam looks like and she was scouting him out to see if he was really the same sam. Also she saw him going bat shit at that party righting those glyphs on the table in cake icing. that being initiative to go after him.

6. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I had no problem with the Pretender aspect.

Altho I doubt it will happen, but the ROTF Pretender concept opens the door to beast modes.

7. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

Heck yes, I would have totally gone for Barricade attacking Sam at college!

8. Alienbot

Alienbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was disappointed Thunderwing and Bludgeon weren't the baddies.

9. RedWolf

RedWolf Well-Known Member

According to Leo he had Fassbinder hack the college database so that the hotties get to their dorm.

Decepticons are much better than that. Also being the one who snatched away Decepticon victory Sam has been the Decepticon hit list for quite some time. No cars are allowed for freshmen meaning no "Guardian" he's an easy target.

It can also be said that the Fallen has been expecting the "human child" to download the Allspark in his head.

10. buickanddeere

buickanddeere Well-Known Member

No reason why Alice won't be back. Good character and she hasn't slammed MB or the American movie industry while in public.

11. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    Sure, I was cool with the idea of Pretenders... just it wasn't carried out well and not received well. As said, General Audience screamed, "OMG TERMINATOR RIP OFF!"

Besides, my younger siblings who are like ten had to sit through the whole "On Top of Sam" scene. That definetly didn't score points with me.

12. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I didn't like the execution of pretender concept because Alice felt more like a Terminator or in this case a T-X, She was their to wait till Sam showed up and then tries to "interagate" and then "Terminate."

13. SentinelPrime

SentinelPrime I NEEDED THAT!

Ebay:
    Bad execution. As if the pretender would be attending college classes and parties.

Stupid. Not as stupid as fart jokes, testicle jokes, nut tasing or Skids/Mudflaps racist dialogue like calling Leo shrimp taco....but it's still bad.

14. hunterelf

hunterelf Decepticon

probably because bay was watching T3 that night

15. SKowl

SKowl Rubber Golem

The Alice Pretender was an ok idea, but I think cramming her into ROTF served no point but to make an unnecessarily long movie even longer.

How good an idea could she have been when she never even got a toy...

16. Moonhawk

Moonhawk Well-Known Member

I didnt like it at all (never have liked the pretender line) - but it was also executed poorly.

17. Harbinger

Harbinger ecnayonnA

a interesting concept that really had no real purpose other then to get leo, sam and what's her name into a car together. if it was used better i would have thought it was okay, but it was really a pointless part of the script that could have easily been scraped for more focus on something else in the script.

18. SoundFire Prime

SoundFire Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I thought the whole Pretender concept worked out okay in ROTF. Story-wise, it was a good idea.

19. Transquito

Transquito Reach For The Light

Well I liked the whole "Decepticons spying on Sam" using pretenders..
    I just didnt feel it got handled very well, especially not with that horrible actor ~.~

20. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Member of the Scrappy Doo Fan Club

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    The idea itself was sound, but they left a lot unexplained as to how a TF could have a human alt. mode (Not counting BW with their DNA scanners). At least in the book they explain that Alice's alt. mode it actually a Japanese android made by Honda. If fact, Leo figures out Alice is an alien robot before she attacks Sam when he sees her on TV in a commercial for Honda.