Minor/Repaint: Presenting pre-Earth BW Silverbolt

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by SmokescreenSWE, Jun 16, 2008.

1. SmokescreenSWE

SmokescreenSWE Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This, like Scourge into Hun-Grrr, is a repaint that I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone else do before. Since I got BW Silverbolt the other year, I noticed that his general transformation was extremely similar to the Armada Seekers. Of course, he is much more posable, has a more complex transformation, is 1-2 size classes smaller and five years older, but that's Armada for you. In any case, I also found his head to be very similar to Skywarp once you remove the crest, and I didn't have any special love for Skywarp now that I have a (much much) superior Masterpiece version of him. (Also, Skywarp and Silverbolt have shared a mold before, the Magnaboss version...) So, it was off to the kitbash room with him.

This poor guy has been disassembled for months and months now. I don't remember when I first decided to make him, but when I tried to take him apart I ran into trouble.

The Armada Seeker mold is hell to dismantle. Hell. The torso is held together by at least 10 pins that just won't budge without a soldering pen, and the upper legs have another four. Before I started, I had grand plans to give him improved articulation in the legs and neck (there's a great guide for this). Then when I suddenly couldn't take him apart, at all, I was quite disenchanted and considered just putting him together again.

In any case, I eventually got myself a soldering pen for Hun-Grrr, and at the same time I decided to finally rip Skywarp apart. Then, as my final 1988 redux figures haven't turned up yet (Ebay seller ripped me off so I ordered a new set from here), I finished up this longterm project.

It doesn't show too well in pictures but this guy is shiny. I really wanted to do the name Silverbolt justice, and he's a fairly neat silverish color all over. I added black and copper to give him the same color proportions, although I gave him black lower arms to break up SOME of all that silver.

I sprayed him with a nice silver and some of the black parts. The rest was painted on. Let me tell you, paint really doesn't stick to the turbine wings on his legs. It's the dreaded softish plastic, and if I rub them it will come off. I'll just have to be really careful.

All the electronics have been ripped out, but the minicon port still activates the cannons (piecing this together again was no easy task) and he's fully posable, as far as the mold goes in any case.

Oh, and I know that he shouldn't have Autobot symbols. I'm not even sure if there WAS a pre-Earth Silverbolt or if he was first created on Earth. But I needed something to cover up the molded Decep signs. And I think the Maximal logo is ugly in any case.

Attached Files:

2. Sentinel Pax

Sentinel Pax Well-Known Member

Oh, man...I love this. Awesome job!

3. Paul Prime

Paul Prime Well-Known Member

Looks very good to me. Have you tried to apply clear coat to avoid the rubbing? I don't know if it works on soft plastic.

4. JAFOPrime

JAFOPrime All work and no play.....

Nice work, and great idea!

5. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Hell yeah. Slick!

6. luke4

luke4 crocon

nice! i love seeing pre-earth transformers and this one is one of the best i saw! a question though, y did u use the autobot symbol instead of the maximal symbol?

7. mattarmstrong

mattarmstrong Well-Known Member

dam man thats awesome

8. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Dude!...that looks SAWEET!! :thumb 

Great job!

9. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    man this is gorgeous. I love the tweaked head, and the orange and silvers are awesome. what kind of paints are they? I've been into the Beasties, so this is just an honest opinion of the work you have done here.

10. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

That is absolutely gorgeous, and really does look like a preformatted Silverbolt. Great choice of mould, as it's got a lot of features that fit the character, and the Skywarp head mod really looks the part!

11. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

Well this is sweet as hell. I got nothing to say about because its too awesome for words.

12. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign Rodeo Lawyer

News Credits:
    Amazing how this works! I love pre-earth modes too. And even more for beasties (I'm very pro-beast wars). I can see Silverbolt in the elite guard being trained by pre-lion LioConvoy (Zoid, lion)

iDD

13. maximus_primal

maximus_primal Autobot

Sweet!!! Nice paint job.

14. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Just check out his initial post for your answer! :) 

Smokes, while I have no love whatsoever for Silverbolt, I LOVE your work here. Everything is well done, but I've just come to expect that with your work. All of your design choices are sound and your paint apps are top notch. GREAT work :thumb