Prepping Transformers for Repainting?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Dr. Grimlockisking, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Dr. Grimlockisking

Dr. Grimlockisking Twitter @GrimlockIsKing

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've read various threads on using soap, water, rubbing alcohol and a combination thereof. I was wondering if the following would be any good or if anyone has used it before?

Testors Plastic Prep

[​IMG]

2. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Never tried it, but sounds like it might be good. I know it mentions that it's for plastic models, which are a different type of plastic than our usual Transformers toys, but if it simply cleans oils, mold release and the like, it should do the trick. Seems a bit on the high side though for only 8oz. Personally, I'd stick to good ol' soap and water or those other methods you mentioned.

If you do happen to pick some up to test out, let us know how it works for you. It might be something that others may want to try out themselves.

3. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I don't really think anything really beats the method of soap, warm water, a toothbrush, and a little bit of elbow grease. A brief soak in paint thinner prior to the cleaning might also help.

4. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    typically with solutions like this, and testor's other stuff (thinner/reducer) tamiya thinner, decal solvent, etc - you're paying too much, probably most of the $ goes towards the bottle. I'd bet anything that if you read the ingredients, it's simple household stuff mixed together. Matter of fact, check the PDF file on your link. "Isopropyl alcohol" - which is probably it's main ingredient; usually $1 or 2, for a pint.

5. Dr. Grimlockisking

Dr. Grimlockisking Twitter @GrimlockIsKing

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow. Good eye FR. Thanks, that saves me some money :) 

6. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Agreed.

7. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    if using soap, just be sure it's dish soap, or oil removing soap/cleaner. castrol's super clean/purple cleaners work well, any de-greaser. ivory makes dish soap that's good for this. If repainting, I always recommend something stronger than water/soap, typically I use a lacquer & paint thinner mix. eats right through any oil, AND it dries 10x faster than water and soap.

8. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I also scrub parts down with Goo Gone. This is before I go the dish soap/water route.