Customs: Preparing to Make a Custom:

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Superquad7, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Hey guys, partially inspired by this thread, I thought I'd get a discussion going about the types of things we do to prep our bots for a customizing process. Everyone has their own methods, some alike and some different, but I wanted to hear from each of you. Photos, tips, step-by-step processes - you name it.

I'll end up editing my own post with some of my practices and such, but until then, I wanna hear from you guys - so post away!

(And if you haven't figured it out by now, yeah, I'm trying to start a tutorial thread :) )

2. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    -Take bot apart
    -clean, possibly use easy off oven cleaner and toothbrush to strip
    -paint the parts individually, coat if necessary
    -scratch head wondering what goes where
    -buy another of the same bot to figure out what goes where
    -start reassembly

Other parts include styrene tubing, superglue, magic sculp putty, sand paper.

Side add ons are scratch built from styrene and/or sculpted then cast

I hope to get into the habit and pre plan a bit on paper .

3. Overhaulimus

Overhaulimus Sword of Fury!

News Credits:
    Mine is very similar to Fishdirt's, but here goes:

-Take figure apart, taking pics as I go along, so I know what goes where.
    -Give the parts a part bath in hot soapy water.
    -Let figure dry.
    -Hit the parts with a quick, light coat of primer.
    -Paint the parts, either using Krylon Fusion spray or by drybrushing, it really depends on the look I'm going for with the figure.
    -Wait for paint to dry.
    -Protective coat of Future polish, how light and how heavy depends on the finish I want.
    -Wait for Future to dry, completely.
    -Reassemble the figure using the pics that I took of it during disassembly.

That's pretty much the run down that I use for my customs, sometimes it's a lot simpler or sometimes it's much more complex, like if it's a big figure, I usually do it in sections.

4. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

I open the box.
    I remove and throw away packaging.
    I start work.

I'm serious, i don't prep my figures at all. My paint sticks fine, and anyways, i prefer to do all my dremel cuts and physical mods before prepping. That is something i think everyone should do. Physical mods, then paint prep.

5. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ah forgot that. My first custom (still in progress) I made sure to make the physical mods before hand. The hands still need modding but aren't painted yet.

6. Shockwave-the-Magnificent

Shockwave-the-Magnificent Plus-size Class

Not much that I can add that others haven't, save for one thing. PAINTER'S TAPE IS YOUR FRIEND! I've only done one big custom so far and that was making a plain semi trailer my MP Prime's trailer. Scrubbed the hell out of it and removed the few stickers it had with some Easy Off oven cleaner (washed again). Taped up his tires (rubber and almost identical to Prime's = win :D ) and went to work priming it. When it came time to do the lines on the side, I used painter's tape to make them crisp and sharp. Painter's tape is also good for covering up windows. Oh, and always be watchful for toys in ALL toy lines. You never know when an unintended accessory or piece from another line will make that one Transformer a kick-ass piece!

Just my 2 cents...

7. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Thanks for posting man (and thanks to each of you)! Even though this thread is still new, I've already had a lot of fun reading about what each of you do. Keep crankin' it out, dudes! :thumb 

8. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

I want to add that you should probably look at what you're painting first.

Yeah, look at it.

Because not all things need prep work done to them. I work a lot with parts from Gundam, and they are made to be painted out of the box, they need no prep done to them. You can prime them, but it's not a necessity. Often i just glue them on, and paint straight away. This goes for a lot of model kits, where they expect you to paint it anyways, so a lot of the mold release/greases are already gone by the time you get the kit.

I agree that you should use Painter's Tape, it's great, and you wouldn't believe how easy it is to do a clean paint line. I use Scotch Painter's Tape, the blue roll, bought it once and have never needed to replace it. Lasts for quite a while. Everyone should have a roll of Painter's Tape lying around, whatever brand.

9. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    totally agree :D 

here I'll show you my first masking-tape-job....
    (i've used rather expensive TESA tape, on the package it says residue free for 5months)

Attached Files:

10. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Alright, I'll play. Here's what I go through:

- Decide what mods and what paint deco I'm going to do with the figure. Go in with a plan.
    - Take the figure apart, removing all screws and pins (or as many as possible)
    - Give the parts an overnight alcohol bath to remove factory paint and topcoat (I honestly sometimes skip this, as with Wildrider)
    - Make the necessary mods if there are any
    - Coat of primer
    - mask and paint (just using masking tape at the moment, I'm not thrilled with it. Need to buy me some blue tape), then let them cure overnight to two or three days
    - Spray a coat of Future, and again let that sit overnight to two or three days
    - reassemble the figure, take pictures, post online.