Premium TFTM Blackout - What's with huge hike in value?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Optimist_Prime, May 18, 2010.

1. Optimist_Prime

Optimist_Prime The Original Optimist!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    OK so 2 years ago every Wal-Mart I went to had these overstocked to the brim. With such massive supply once available why has the value on the secondary market now tripled?

2. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Movie Megs eats your soul

News Credits:
    My guess is the same reason most "older toys" tend to cost more than retail:

More new collectors/buyers have come into the brand via recent brand developments (keep in mind that a 5 year old who watched Revenge of the Fallen would have only been 2 or 3 when the first feature film was released).

Your experiences also help tell another tale: at the time, there was a significant number of fans who stayed away from the movie product due to various reasons. Stores may have had a bunch last year...but eventually that stuff still sold...to parents.
    Parents will then give the toys to kids and most will never be seen on the secondary market again.

Keep in mind that during and after the first movie push, Transformers Classics (which were generally quite plentiful upon their retail run in late 06/early 07) saw enormous price hikes as well, even after the release of Japanese counterparts.

3. alfred p. sloan

alfred p. sloan Well-Known Member

Yep, what he said...

4. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    Whatever the reason, I'm now regretting donating mine as a raffle prize. XD

5. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Because all the people who were holding out for a Leader Blackout finally, collectively, realized it wasn't going to happen and are now trying to get the best available version of the character?

6. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    Wake me when he's over 100

7. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    for a toy that was stacked to the brim at every store, my area stores never had any and until i go to TFU.info or the Resources page here, i still can't really tell you what makes the Premium so "premium."

so it boggles me mind thinking that it is now a scalper's delight. there's several toys out there that are understandably pricey now (WM exclusive Fracture) for better reasons than Prem. Blackout.

either version of Blackout to me is a disappointment.

8. Schide

Schide Buyer of Too Much

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wake up.

Went for about $101 with shipping.

9. TheBigMachine

TheBigMachine Initiating JAZZ HANDS!

News Credits:
    Wow, I'm amazed. It looks like he's going for $60 to $90 before shipping on feEbay. I figured there was such a huge distribution of all the movie toys that prices would stay down for a looong time. What others are jumping in price like this (not counting rare/limited ones like Wonderfest Black, G1 Arcee, etc.)?

10. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    Minus about 12-15 bucks in fees:lol 

11. Toyzaremine

Toyzaremine Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In my area, they barely showed up, and when they did, it was very brief. But many ofthe other premiums have gone up like ironhide, jazz.
    Will NEST be the next premium?

12. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There were fewer Premium Blackouts then normal Blackouts. The reason why he may have seem plentiful was that he appeared at the end of the line when most people already had a Blackout so he sat on the shelf. It's a crappy mold but it's the best representation of the Blackout character from the movie and he's actually an end-of-the-line figure which usually command high prices. He's been going for $60-$90 since right before the release of the 2nd movie last year.

13. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

Why not just buy Grindor and save $80? Fig is mediocre anyhow...

14. DarthMagnificus

DarthMagnificus Banned

WOW...and i got mine a few months ago with the reprolabels stickers on it already applied for $40ish...he sits atop a license plate landing pad atop my IKEA trashcan...

15. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    This is true. I hardly saw him as apposed to all the others that got the Premium treatment, including his case mate Ironhide. I'm sure him, Premium Megatron and Deep Space Starscream, are sitting on the top of the heap as far as that is concerned.

16. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    b/c dollar has been dropping

17. TheBigMachine

TheBigMachine Initiating JAZZ HANDS!

News Credits:
    I think that only applies if you were importing him to the US. Plus, the Euro is sliding right now (I think it's at 3 or 4 year lows against the $). Doesn't affect US to US transactions through Ebay.

18. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    Eh. I never saw him or Premium Ironhide at retail. Guess we were to cramped with all spark battles voyager stuff before Animated was launching.

I did pick them up from a guy in the junkion exchange at the time.

I could definitely see why the Ironhide could appreciate in value. With the extremely glossy panels. It looks desirable for a cool film sheen Ironhide. Though the sculpts have gotten more movie accurate with the two remolds.

Blackout though. Is identical to lawsons exclusive blackout. And its ok with its battle damage/ copper accents, but now really, grindor, evac or Whirl are good options if you don't have those yet.

Last edited: May 19, 2010
  19. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    That is a weird one. I love Blackout as a character design and even I think the actual voyager figure is mediocre at best.

Not only that, but at least the Japanese Lawson's one came with a DVD and cool set of pins. I don't regret picking one of those up.

20. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

In my experience, Premium Ironhide is just as rare/expensive as Blackout. The only movie Premium figure I own is Megatron, just because of the massive differences in colour scheme to the wacky coloured original release.