"Premium" Cliffjumper?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by dilectus, Oct 3, 2008.

1. dilectus

dilectus Well-Known Member

What do you guys think of this rumored "Premium" Cliffjumper? Do you think he will be resculpted? Do you think he will even exist, for that matter?

2. Dead Metal

Dead Metal Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I hope he exists and is remolded.

3. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    I'll only get him if he has a new head.

4. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    Is this rumor supposed to be for animated or the movie line?

5. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    give him a gun for **** sake.

6. dilectus

dilectus Well-Known Member

Neither. Classics.

7. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Personally I don't really care, as I'm happy with the Cliffjumper I have.

8. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    "Premium" Cliffjumper is rumored for the second hypothetical wave of a group that includes:
    "Premium" Optimus Prime
    "Premium" Megatron

Both are straight repaints. I think it's setting up unrealistic expectations to theorize Cliffjumper would be anything but a straight repaint.

9. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

I disagree. Not to get into semantics, but Prime and Megatron are actually called "Special Edition," not "Premium." While "Special Edition" could just refer to a limited edition exclusive, the movie line set the precedent for "Premium" indicating a figure which was ostensibly improved from its original version.

IF (big if... we've only heard a rumor so far) this Premium Cliffjumper exists, I think a remolded head is very likely. Cliffjumper was such a terrible shelfwarmer the first time out that I doubt they would re-release him without the added incentive of a new noggin. And Hasbro has surely noted the insane amount of money people are willing to drop on the aftermarket upgrade kit.

EDIT: Sorry, I just re-read Edgewise's post more carefully, and saw that you are actually referring to a second-wave release of Prime and Megatron, not the repainted two-pack figures currently up for order. My apologies. So my first point is probably moot. But I still think it doesn't make sense to re-release CJ without a remolded head. Premium CC Bumblebee got a battle mask, after all! :) 

10. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    WhiteMocha, actually you got my intention right the first time. It was my goof in typing an ambigous sentence.

Premium Bumblebee got a battle mask that was different from standard Bumblebee, but it was the head that was already remolded for Stealth Bumblebee. Premium Bumblebee did not get a new tooling.

But as far as "Premium" Prime & Megs go... yes they are officially called "Special Editions". However, the term "Premium" was applied to them in just the same way as it was applied to Cliffjumper in the "news" that started the "rumors".

If anyone thinks a remolded head is very likely, I think they should realize this about the "premium" terminology in the instance of these special editions and also ask themselves, just how often does a remold actually happen? Especially compared to the amount of straight repaints that Hasbro releases. Of course it'd be great if every repaint got at least a new head mold, but that's unrealistic expectations.

Does it make sense to release CJ without a remolded head? Maybe, maybe not, but does it make any less sense than that Special Edition Prime?

CJ was such a terrible shelfwarmer? I think that's debatable. I think I saw more BBs than him. Mirage definitely hung around in my stores longer. And Mirage has just gotten 2 repaints and BB has just gotten a barely-repaint in the Wal-mart 3-pack. Plus these Special Editions are primarily for New Zealand/Australia. Was CJ a shelfwarmer there? Did they even get him? I don't know...

I'd certainly like for "Premium" CJ to have a new head and a gun, etc. But seriously, looking at all the repaints that are not remolded, and the very small handful of remolds that actually do happen... does a remold for a NZ/Australia exclusive that'll have maybe 1000 pieces on HTS really seem so likely?

11. Glitcher

Glitcher Banned

News Credits:
    I'm usually wary of getting my hopes up for this sort of thing, but I'm with WhiteMocha on this. The only reason I can think of why Hasbro would want to re-release a shelfwarmer like Cliffjumper (and I've never seen BB in stores here, Edgewise, or any other wave 1 figure except Astrotrain) is because they realized fans might actually buy him if he had a new head. And if it is true, I'm sure Takara would be finally interested in releasing Cliffy, too.

12. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Edgewise makes some good points, especially given the complete lack of information we have about this figure (or even really this line... the whole "Special Edition Classics" line was kinda sprung by surprise, and we know little about it aside from the existence of these first four figures).

We'll see. I do hope CJ has a new head, but you're absolutely right about Hasbro's inherent reluctance to remold things if they don't have to. Probably wise not to get our hopes up.

13. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'd really like to see a new head, but I sincerely doubt that'll happen, since nothing in the line seen so far has any remolding.

14. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    As long as he is solid red I will buy him, even without a re-tooled head. I just want him to be the proper color.

But...a new head would be nice.

15. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    A new head please. And make his skidoo thingy transform into a gun. :) 

16. Darkspeed

Darkspeed Avatar Freak

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm with the majority; remodel the head and give him a gun. and lose that dodgy silver paint application too!

That is... If we're actually gonna get one...